PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Damien Harris might be out for a while

Is his injury rate what you will expect for a RB and the way we use him or is he prone to injuries? The good think is that he is never actually out for the year so we can count on him coming back unlike McCaffery. Since he got paid, don't think he has played more than 10 games a year.

activate Strong and/or Harris.
ISSUE ONE: the player needs to pick up the blitz.
ISSUE TWO: the player needs to block
ISSUE THREE: we need as emergency injury backup to carry the ball.

I could see us signing a free agent.

...or signing somebody from another team's PS, such as Duke Johnson from Barf-a-low...

They should activate Harris, they need another banger, not another finesse third down back.

One thing is for sure now: if the Omen does ever re-sign here, it will be on Bill's terms, not his.

JJ Taylor is a perfect change of pace back to Rhams downhill running style. Hate to see him get elevated because of injury, but hoping he finally gets a decent shot at the scat back role.
If the change of pace you're looking for is 'Slow AF', then yes, JJ Taylor is your guy.

There's only one man who can warp time like that, and he plays for Oakland now.

Is his injury rate what you will expect for a RB and the way we use him or is he prone to injuries? The good think is that he is never actually out for the year so we can count on him coming back unlike McCaffery. Since he got paid, don't think he has played more than 10 games a year.
In the Patriot's offensive system based on size alone McCaffrey would have been considered a third down back, the guy was 200 pounds entering the NFL. But they used him like a bell cow back in Carolina, worse still they put terrible offensive lines in front of him and couldn't pass well.

His career was destined to be short and injury marred based on those factors. Hell Saquon Barkley is massive and a physical marvel, even he has trouble staying healthy behind horrible offensive lines and on teams where they have trouble passing so opponents stack the box. It's a team game, weapons without beef in front of them won't last long or be consistently productive.

Last edited:
I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited to see Rham get a shot at RB1....hope they leave him on the field for all 3 downs as well...the guy should be targeted on screen passes 2-3 times a game...that is an easy 7 yards if the outside guy blocks well.

Hope Harris' hammy heals quick...he's still our best interior rushing RB and very useful on every other drive...the kid runs hard and is capable of cutting on the 2nd level.

Rham can handle the load for several weeks.

He's averaged only 16 touches a game this year (including receiving). Last year he carried the ball only 11 times per game.

Rham can be a top back in this league IMO. Sometimes that means shouldering the load.

Rham can handle the load for several weeks.

He's averaged only 16 touches a game this year (including receiving). Last year he carried the ball only 11 times per game.

Rham can be a top back in this league IMO. Sometimes that means shouldering the load.
Sounds good, but you still need depth behind him just in case.

Not sure they can roll with only two RB's active.

Wonder what kind of contract damien will get next year. Im sure teams realize how good he is, but hes not durable at all and will not have a single 1k season coming off his rookie deal. If he can be had around the $5m per range I think maybe worth keeping around. This combo is really nice to have and keep both fresh while defenses wear out. Unless strong or the other harris shows something this year, nows a good time.

We could trade for McCaffery. I think that the cost is about $11M per year plus any bonuses.
Unless the Pats converted the remaining salary for this year into SB, they couldn't fit him under their current cap.

And, honestly, McCaffery gets hurt too much.. He's missed 23 of 33 games the last 2 seasons.

Wonder what kind of contract damien will get next year. Im sure teams realize how good he is, but hes not durable at all and will not have a single 1k season coming off his rookie deal. If he can be had around the $5m per range I think maybe worth keeping around. This combo is really nice to have and keep both fresh while defenses wear out. Unless strong or the other harris shows something this year, nows a good time.

I'd also like to keep him here, but I don't know if Bill's going to offer him $5M/year for the privilege...

I'd also like to keep him here, but I don't know if Bill's going to offer him $5M/year for the privilege...

If there’s anything bill does seem ok to spend on its those mid level/depth type of contracts in this $4-6m range after the rookie contract ends (wise, Bentley, harmon, jon jones are a few i can think of). Its the tier 1 type fa’s he usually lets walk unless they are gronk/seymour level or sign for a good value. Only thing is would he do a reasonably pricey deal for a rb who is injury prone, that im not so sure.

Last edited:

I would give him a contract that had a lot of escalators based on playtime to protect against his inevitable booboo

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back