PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Cut" with best trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.

farn

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I know BB will choose the 53 players he feels will best help the team win games.

I was thinking : who do you think will (1) not be included on the 53 man roster and (2) garner the highest pick in a trade to another NFL team ?

As a side note, I wonder if BB will be able to recover the few low round draft picks in the next few years via trade for some of the players who won't make the roster in a few weeks.

The obvious candidate is Meriweather. I'm sure the Pats are trying to figure out whether the can trade off Meriweather and still have good safety play. I don't know which way they're guessing it will come out.

The obvious candidate is Meriweather. I'm sure the Pats are trying to figure out whether the can trade off Meriweather and still have good safety play. I don't know which way they're guessing it will come out.

IIRC they have six picks next year ( 2 #1s, 2#2s, a 3 and a 4th rounder) and no later round picks as a result of the trades as well as a shortage of later round picks in 2013 ( Haynesworth and Ocho trades) so I wouldn't be shocked if as a result at the end of camp, a few guys who would get cut get traded for conditional 6th and 7th rounders in 2012 or 2013... Moreso this year because the talent is deeper at certain spots like DL.... I know it's stating the obvious but if a team suddenly has a run of injuries in pre-season, they may be willing to overpay....

IIRC they have six picks next year ( 2 #1s, 2#2s, a 3 and a 4th rounder) and no later round picks as a result of the trades as well as a shortage of later round picks in 2013 ( Haynesworth and Ocho trades) so I wouldn't be shocked if as a result at the end of camp, a few guys who would get cut get traded for conditional 6th and 7th rounders in 2012 or 2013... Moreso this year because the talent is deeper at certain spots like DL.... I know it's stating the obvious but if a team suddenly has a run of injuries in pre-season, they may be willing to overpay....

Good points. I think that some of those picks will obviously be gained back through trade downs in nx yr's draft too--as I'm sure you have already thought of. I think we'll end up with a 5 and a 6 somehow I'm sure. I could see BB sacrificing the 7 next yr if needed.

By the time we grab a comp pick (hopefully for Meriweather) or two, make as much as one small trade at the end of camp for a conditional 6th or something, and make the usual trade down move or two in the draft, everything will be the same as it ever is.

Good points. I think that some of those picks will obviously be gained back through trade downs in nx yr's draft too--as I'm sure you have already thought of. I think we'll end up with a 5 and a 6 somehow I'm sure. I could see BB sacrificing the 7 next yr if needed.

By the time we grab a comp pick (hopefully for Meriweather) or two, make as much as one small trade at the end of camp for a conditional 6th or something, and make the usual trade down move or two in the draft, everything will be the same as it ever is.
Are you referring to the 7 in 2013?
Both 7ths in 2012 are gone ( Jarrad Page and Randy Moss trades). In fact, the only 5th, 6th or 7th in 2012 or 2013 that currently remains is a 2013 7th rounder. Not exactly the norm for a team that stockpiles picks. I have a feeling, as you said, they will get back most if not all of those picks through wheeling and dealing.
Maybe along the lines of.....
BB to Team A, " You know if player X goes through the waiver wire, you may not get him but if you give us a 7th that becomes a conditional 6th rounder if he does XXXXX, you can avoid the risk"
BB to Team B " We know you need D lineman and you're waiting to see who we cut but I've got another team that's hot to trade for them and they may not be there at cut down time. For a 6th rounder, you can avoid the hassle."
What's the over/under on how many draft picks they pick up by opening day??? My guess two to three.....

Last edited:
Are you referring to the 7 in 2013?
Both 7ths in 2012 are gone ( Jarrad Page and Randy Moss trades). In fact, the only 5th, 6th or 7th in 2012 or 2013 that currently remains is a 2013 7th rounder. Not exactly the norm for a team that stockpiles picks. I have a feeling, as you said, they will get back most if not all of those picks through wheeling and dealing.
Maybe along the lines of.....
BB to Team A, " You know if player X goes through the waiver wire, you may not get him but if you give us a 7th that becomes a conditional 6th rounder if he does XXXXX, you can avoid the risk"
BB to Team B " We know you need D lineman and you're waiting to see who we cut but I've got another team that's hot to trade for them and they may not be there at cut down time. For a 6th rounder, you can avoid the hassle."
What's the over/under on how many draft picks they pick up by opening day??? My guess two to three.....

I'm thinking maybe closer to one to two--just my opinion.

As far as the 'sacrificing a 7th' comment, I meant that I could see him just 'sacrificing' the 7th round as a whole. In other words, this may be the yr that he just forgoes one of the later rds. It could be a 6th just as easily. That was my thought, as scrambled as the wording was.

IMO two or three trades with Meriweather being the highest possibility. Ian Rappaort said something yesterday that was very interesting. If the Pats are seeing the weakness in Meriweathers game, other teams are too! So the pick obtained in return may not be as high as some think for a former 1st round pick going into his "contract" year.

There may be one other trade for a pick outright and another "conditional" pick if a player makes the opening roster. They may be defferred into 2013.

I realize that I'll get raked over the coals for this... But here goes anyways:

Brian Hoyer

I think with the change to the 45 man roster this year, they're only going to dress two QBs and use the 46th spot for another player. In the past, an argument could be made that you keep the third guy on the 53, and he can enter a game in an emergency. That will no longer be the case if they only have two on the 46 man.

Yes, it is entirely premature to have Mallett as your #2 QB at this point. And it's downright scary to think what would happen if Brady went down with an injury early in the season.

I think Hoyer would jump at a simultaneous trade/contract extention to become a starter. So it wouldn't really be a one year thing for the team trading for him. And I don't think it would cost all that much for a team to sign him to an extention. Far less than a tagged Cassel.

Then you simply keep a 3rd QB on the practice squad, so you have someone familiar with the system that can step in as a backup if Mallett or Brady is injured.

Chance of this happening is pretty much zero, and I probably shouldn't be posting this in a thread posing the question "who do you think will not be included on the 53 man roster." But I did anyways, so there.

I'll throw a couple of names out there to consider: how about one of either Rob Ninkovich or Gary Guyton?

The combination of the continued improvement in the play by Dane Fletcher, along with the Pats utilizing a defense with one less linebacker on the field more often could make one of these two expendable, but only if the price is right.

I don't know yet who is going to be cut, but it sure would be nice if they snagged a couple picks, vice simply losing the players. Won't be easy, but in BB we trust.

Belichick should have an easy time picking up those 5, 6, 7 rounders just by wheelin' and dealin' on draft day. I wouldn't be worried about those. Other than that, I'm not sure why people think a guy getting cut will have any trade value.

Brian Hoyer

I think the biggest problem with this proposition is who's in the market for the right price?

Most teams either have an established QB or a high level developmental QB they are investing their future in. Teams that don't are Miami, SF and you could throw Washington, Oakland or Seattle into that mix but they seem to be content for the moment with Grossman, Campbell and Jackson no matter what you think of them.

For the Patriots to roll the dice and go with a rookie backup the price would be pretty high, probably too high. I'm thinking a first or maybe a second and conditional first. Would Miami or SF pay that for a player with no regular season experience to speak of? Would you trade in the division with Miami? The Fins aren't exactly like trading Bledsoe to Buffalo. They've been a good QB away from being a really good team in several season.

I like Hoyer and will root for him when he leaves so I wouldn't want it to be in Miami. If SF did it I'd consider rolling the dice, would BB? Unlikely as you said but it's still fun to think about.

I think Edelman has some value as a punt returner and third down back to several teams. I could see the Rams and JM trading a late round pick.

Butler, Wihlite or Brace if they are the odd men out to KC.

LeVoir could get looks from a lot of teams for depth.

I agree.

1) We are in fine shape for the 2012 draft with 6 picks is the first four rounds. Obviously, we could use one of the picks to trade down and pick up lste round picks. A mid 5th, 6th AND a 7th can be easily secured through a trade down of one pick within an earlier round.

2) I think that we will see a pick or two come our way, but we could still give away a 2013 pick or two. I see no reason to worry about late round picks, one way or the other.

Belichick should have an easy time picking up those 5, 6, 7 rounders just by wheelin' and dealin' on draft day. I wouldn't be worried about those. Other than that, I'm not sure why people think a guy getting cut will have any trade value.

I realize that I'll get raked over the coals for this... But here goes anyways:

Brian Hoyer

I think with the change to the 45 man roster this year, they're only going to dress two QBs and use the 46th spot for another player. In the past, an argument could be made that you keep the third guy on the 53, and he can enter a game in an emergency. That will no longer be the case if they only have two on the 46 man.

Yes, it is entirely premature to have Mallett as your #2 QB at this point. And it's downright scary to think what would happen if Brady went down with an injury early in the season.

I think Hoyer would jump at a simultaneous trade/contract extention to become a starter. So it wouldn't really be a one year thing for the team trading for him. And I don't think it would cost all that much for a team to sign him to an extention. Far less than a tagged Cassel.

Then you simply keep a 3rd QB on the practice squad, so you have someone familiar with the system that can step in as a backup if Mallett or Brady is injured.

Chance of this happening is pretty much zero, and I probably shouldn't be posting this in a thread posing the question "who do you think will not be included on the 53 man roster." But I did anyways, so there.

I think its more than a tad premature. Hoyer is looking like he can be a good enough backup that if TB were to get hurt he might be able to get us into the playoffs....Mallett is far too raw to have as the first backup. Even next year without game experience I cant see anyone offering a 2nd for Hoyer(RFA) seeing Cassel/Vrabel got only a 2nd with a season of play. Its nice to have depth at QB but Cassel's development, KOC's history and system requirements limit value. Alot of young QBs(6?) were high picks this year, most of them will get their shots a long time before Hoyer gets his. Of the other 26 teams 12 are playoff teams and there will be several more hi round QBs taken next year higher than anything we can get for him. Considering he would likely only move on as a starter I think you will find the options alot more limited next year, IMHO.

You would have to look at the position and make sure its a strength......

I am think it could be in : TE, DL, and CB area.

Someone mentioned Hoyer. I think next year not this year. Mallet is still too Green. Give him a year in our system.

TE = Yeatman. I think he looks pretty good ...but I he might just land on the PS.

DL - take your pick..there is definitely going to be someturnover there

CB - Wilhite, Butler --- might get a 6th or 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back