PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Patriots now calling their own shots on how to handle COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmmm.....
With todays covid positive result, a one day testing/clearance timetable was a non-starter, especially after the blowback by Pats players on the record and off
Thanks, but what I was referring to was early today we had indications from the NFL itself saying the plan was to play Monday even after it was acknowledged that there was a positive on the Pats, but then it was changed. Thus it wasn't a 'non-starter', the league itself was saying the game was on. Curran's article takes us through that time line.
I think you might be underestimating what else Curran most certainly has heard off the record. I see it the other way around and truly believe that they would have forfeited the game if the League decided to put them into a position they wouldn't feel comfortable with.
Yet he didn't play the "I'm hearing more off the record" card, he's laying out his evidence, which I'm not finding to rise to the level of 'we called our shots'.

For instance, the article says:
Did the Patriots tell the NFL they weren’t playing in the wake of another positive COVID test emerging Sunday morning? Or did the league read the tea leaves and understand that, if they tried to push forward with the game, the hosts might have the lights off?

We’re still trying to determine that. But either way, the Patriots – through words and deeds this week – showed they’re the ones in charge of what happens at 1 Patriot Place.

We have a rogue state in Foxboro? Maybe. If we do, it’s for all the right reasons.
Hey, I'm glad there's unity between team and management to play things on the safe side, and be even safer than NFL protocols suggest.

All I'm saying is Curran didn't prove his case that the team called the shots. Maybe they did, maybe they did not.

Even the beginning of the article said the Patriots had 'a voice' i.e. input on the decision. That's not hard to believe. What is hard for me to believe is the Pats 'called the shots' i.e. they refused to play. If so we'd be hearing about serious penalties from NJFL.

The Pats stood up and said the health of our team, staff, families and loved ones comes first. Fahkin' A right. Never been more proud to be a Pats fan.

Not to **** on your post, but when has it not been about business in our country? That is how we are built. The stores must be opened, the show must go on. We can't stop like some of these countries. I don't think Goddell is doing anything that is not quintessentially American.
Businesses purpose for existence is to make profit. If they are not profit driven they will be put out of business by competition. Why people insist on asking business to act contrary to their purpose makes no sense. Part of being profit driven is maintaining good will and having positive customer relationships but ultimately that is done to further profits. That is a businesses reason to exist. It’s like asking a lion to consider the feelings of its prey, or water to not escape a leak because it can do damage to your house.

Hell yeah. Makes me like BB even more. That's a great coach right there. That's a coach whose players now know - he's got their best interests in mind, and puts their health and familes before a game. When this team does see the field? They'll fight hard. You always fight harder for a leader that fights for you.

While reading the posts here I saw that the Pats requested more space in the locker room when they went to KC but were refused. Do we know if that's true and/or why they were refused? If it's because KC was looking for an edge it would completely change my opinion of that organization.

Hey, I'm glad there's unity between team and management to play things on the safe side, and be even safer than NFL protocols suggest.

All I'm saying is Curran didn't prove his case that the team called the shots. Maybe they did, maybe they did not.

Even the beginning of the article said the Patriots had 'a voice' i.e. input on the decision. That's not hard to believe. What is hard for me to believe is the Pats 'called the shots' i.e. they refused to play. If so we'd be hearing about serious penalties from NJFL.

Maybe you are right, I don't know to me it sounded like he got some stuff off the record that he then tried to put into the article as an implication. Unless you have a source saying something on the record -- anonymous or not -- you kinda have to work with "maybes".

But clearly you might be right and he is just speculating.

I bet the Broncos had the same sentiment and that forced the league’s hand. If both teams want to forfeit then what would the league do.
2-2-1 is what they could easily do. A draw on the patriots record is a win in the leagues eyes, especially when the other team receiving a draw is a non contender like the Broncos.

The NFL simply did this because of the possibly backlash.

While reading the posts here I saw that the Pats requested more space in the locker room when they went to KC but were refused. Do we know if that's true and/or why they were refused? If it's because KC was looking for an edge it would completely change my opinion of that organization.

My opinion of the organization isn't all that high to begin with...seems in keeping with what they do and what their fans want.

It was reported at the time, so its been out there for over a week, and I've not seen it challenged by the Pats or KC. Who knows what the circumstances were - maybe there's no way for the Chiefs to do that without bringing the Pats players into proximity with their own? No idea. On the surface, it sounds petty at best.

My opinion of the organization isn't all that high to begin with...seems in keeping with what they do and what their fans want.
My reason for supporting the Chiefs goes back to the beginning of the AFL, when Lamar Hunt used his money to help keep the Pats and the AFL afloat. They also won the SB the year after the Jete and helped shut the NFLers up for good.

My reason for supporting the Chiefs goes back to the beginning of the AFL, when Lamar Hunt used his money to help keep the Pats and the AFL afloat. They also won the SB the year after the Jete and helped shut the NFLers up for good.

I can very much understand and appreciate it. That was before my time, so it's a perspective I don't have. I tend to think of them as the team that employs and celebrates a known child and spouse abuser, while also one of the active franchises in trying to defame TFB and the Pats.

I can very much understand and appreciate it. That was before my time, so it's a perspective I don't have. I tend to think of them as just one of the many teams the team that employs and celebrates a known child and spouse abuser, while also one of the active franchises in trying to defame TFB and the Pats.
FIFY

I think Curran takes it a step too far. He makes it sound like a full on insurrection went down. Instead a few opinions were voiced. We still don't know the reason the game was moved from MNF to next weekend. It's just as likely it was a simple reconsideration of the situation. But hey, it gets clicks to make it sound like we 'call our own shots' so let's run with that.

I strongly doubt NJFL would cede the ability for us to 'call our own shots', and Curran really doesn't have the evidence of such. He's just stitching together James White's tweet with some other things and running with it.
Yeah. I agree. Curran is a total fan boy. This does not jive with us playing the Chiefs last Monday and flying out the same day as the game. The NFL calls the shots and we all know Krafty bows down to Roger every time.

Yeah. I agree. Curran is a total fan boy. This does not jive with us playing the Chiefs last Monday and flying out the same day as the game. The NFL calls the shots and we all know Krafty bows down to Roger every time.
I think Curran does bring a lot to the table. I think his problem is that he's seen how bottom feeders like Mazz and Felger started out as journalists and have cashed in big and he's thinking he can do what they did but still retain respect. He doesn't seem to understand that you can't play two very different roles like respected journalist and populist troll at the same time. He can't seem to pick one and stick with it so doesn't connect with either audience. A good heel plays the heel role 100%. He can't seem to convince himself to go there.

Curran is quite overrated and I’m not sure why he’s highly regarded. I’d honestly rather hear anyone else like Schefter with lots of sources.
You're entitled to your opinion of course. I don't know where you're from or how old you are but a lot of us (or maybe just me) have a soft spot for Tom because he worked for the Providence Journal for years and was the best Pats beat writer at the time, IMO. He also used to post here occasionally (circa 2010) and seems like a very good guy based on a few OT conversations I have had with him.

The entire Boston sports journalism scene has been an atomic waste dump for as long as I can remember. Curran for whatever faults he has comes across as an actual human being, which is worth a lot IMO.

Glad the Patriots leadership (BB and B.Kraft) stepped up and made player & staff health their first priority. I have never been more proud to be a Pats fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes