PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could we stomache a down year to grab draft cap after brady goes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 1000% ok with us not doing well after Brady goes.

My logic is this............

Brady is a 'once in a lifetime' player. We need to give him all the help he needs for TODAY.

You were off to such a good start... :D

Why allow an attitude of accepting losing, no matter the context, to take even the littlest bit of root? I've followed the team since late '85, so I know what that looks like and never want to see it again.

Personally I would rather save draft cap and not get a QB in the draft whilst brady is here. Would anyone else be happy with us using hoyer and going 2-14 for a year in order to get a really high draft pick and then bag the next baker mayfield.

Or do you place the year spent under brady as mor eimportant

Hoyer will never be the Patriots starter. Better free agent options will be available for the next several years if needed.

Personally I would rather save draft cap and not get a QB in the draft whilst brady is here. Would anyone else be happy with us using hoyer and going 2-14 for a year in order to get a really high draft pick and then bag the next baker mayfield.

Or do you place the year spent under brady as mor eimportant

Yeah.....ummm... we're not from Indianapolis, so we don't think that way.

Lol @ 9-7 with Hoyer.

Laugh all you want, but we went 11-5 with Cassell. If the roster is loaded, a game managing QB can get wins...

Laugh all you want, but we went 11-5 with Cassell. If the roster is loaded, a game managing QB can get wins...
A year after going 18-1. Cassell was also better at that point in his career than Hoyer is at this point. I’d assume we have 5-6 wins with Hoyer.

Is Belichick still our GM/Head coach? He is? IBWT...

This is against the philosophy of the Patriots. The team never revolves around one player. Its always aboyt teamwork, helping each other, performing the job you're assigned, and being selfless. Brady may be the best QB we've ever had, but there's a reason he takes pay cuts and distributes the ball to whoever and plays no favourites.

We're not a team that relies on star power to succeed.

The Patriots are not whiny tanking Coltish losers and never will be.

I know Brady is the "exception" but doesn't it seem true that the great QBs don't necessary HAVE to be top 3 picks in round 1? (Brady obviously, Montana)

Yes, they have to be good but any QB that gets drafted must be able to be coached up. Everyone talks about Brady being 199. And 6, some terrible QBs were drafted ahead of him.

But even still, that means that in the entire country, Brady was essentially considered a top 7 QB prospect, no? 7 out of the whole country. My son and I talk about that sometimes, it means he was pretty good.

At least that is how I think about it sometimes.
Great QBs don't have to be drafted from the top 3, but it helps.

Of the 12 starting QBs to win multiple Super Bowls, six were drafted #1 overall (Terry Bradshaw, Jim Plunkett, Troy Aikman, John Elway, P. Manning, E. Manning), one was drafted #4 overall (Bob Griese), another was drafted #11 overall (Ben Roethlisberger), and the other four were drafted after the first round (Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Tom Brady).

IIRC, Brady is the only non-first-round starting QB to win multiple Super Bowls since Montana did it back in the 80s. Non-first-round QBs like Joe Theismann, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, and Russell Wilson came close to winning 2 SBs, but close is not good enough in the NFL.

"Tanking" is probably something I do not envision for the NEP, once you develop a culture of winning and believing you can win, you do not want to disrupt it.. this is no longer in the DNA of the New England Patriots, as it was for so long prior to this dynasty..

We really do not know what we have in Danny Ettling, he has played in parts of two preseason games and one complete game.. a year in this environment may have helped him progress, may know more next summer during TC.. if he shows enough progress Hoyer may be the odd man out.

You were off to such a good start... :D

Why allow an attitude of accepting losing, no matter the context, to take even the littlest bit of root? I've followed the team since late '85, so I know what that looks like and never want to see it again.

I think people are missing my point. Do I want to lose? Of course not, if given the choice of winning the next 20 Super Bowls or not, obviously i’d Choose winning....... but i’m Realistic.

The league is a league of parity and we’ve struck the lottery with bb/Brady making the team parity- proof. I would be unrealistic if I thought we wouldn’t experience a setback ‘post brady’ and perhaps ‘post bb’ too.

So yes, after everything they’ve given us I could ‘stomach’ a losing season or two when their run is over.

I wouldn’t condone intentionally tanking, but I am totally in favor of giving Brady as much help as he needs now (even if it does hinder the future).

The difference between winning and losing is so small, i’m In favor of giving us the largest margin of error. We were a dee ford offsides from losing this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents