PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting a Top 15 QB - Free Agency Or The Draft -

Mac sucks. He really really sucks. The wr’s sucked because he sucks. This is the definition of stupidity.
Guess what, Mac does suck but you aren’t winning a SB or contending for one with a 35 million a year Baker Mayfield. I’d go with the cheaper option

CLARIFYING THOUGHTS
The staff will do their due diligence with regard to signing a QB in free agency. All options will be evaluated. IMO, other than Mayfield, I don't any of the choices changing the choice of drafting a QB in the top of the draft, if we think any of them are potential top 15 QB's.

OPTION 1 - Cousins (already ruled out)

OPTION 2 - Mayfield
The staff will evaluate, including the cost. The likely result is that he won't come here, either because the staff rejects the possibility or
because he decides to play elsewhere.

OPTION 3 - BRIDGE QB's
The staff has experience with a couple of the options, and that would be factored in any decision.
Flacco
Brissette
Tannehill

OPTION 4
trade for Fields

OPTION 5
other quarterback, other trade or Zappe

Flacco is 100 and sucks. Fields is staying in Chicago I bet and isn’t an upgrade over Mac.Cousins is old and an injury waiting to happen.

Guess what, Mac does suck but you aren’t winning a SB or contending for one with a 35 million a year Baker Mayfield. I’d go with the cheaper option
Then that is simply idiotic. Let’s make us suck again so we will get better. It doesn’t work. You have to improve. I’m not calling for Baker, but if it is him or Mac it’s him.

If it's really about winning and competing immediately, then you get a FA QB.
The one that makes the most sense is Baker. He won't cost the ridiculous money others prima donnas are asking.
Baker is a winner, a leader, a ferocious competitor, and has confidence that we haven't had in this building since Brady left.

Then, use #3 on MHJ, and still draft a guy like Nix at 35 (if he's there) - to give him 2-3 years to prep behind Baker.
OR - trade down to ~8 and get your franchise LT & a comparable #1WR in the bottom 1st round.

Either way, that is a better road to relevance and giving this new GM/Coaching regime a chance.
If they draft a QB at 3 and let him start wk 1 - it won't go well.

Couldn’t disagree more. Baker Mayfield will cost over 30 million a year, and he’s today’s version of Andy Dalton. And the goal should be to build a great team.x not a .500 team that can beat the ****ty teams, but always loses to the good ones. They can get lheir QB of the future at 3, and build the offense through the draft, while building depth on offense and bringing in great defensive players in free agency. And they can turn it around muc sooner than people think than some here think, and with lasting benefits, just as Houston did last season, by getting their QB of the future, instead of ducking around with mediocre retreads like Baker Mayfield.

Then that is simply idiotic. Let’s make us suck again so we will get better. It doesn’t work. You have to improve. I’m not calling for Baker, but if it is him or Mac it’s him.

Zappe is the starter right now, Jones will be long gone, so the premise of this wrong.

You know what? Andy Dalton hasn’t retired yet . I bet the Patriots could get him for 5 million a season, instead of paying 35 million for Andy Dalton Light Baker Mayfield.

I’d rather surround Mac with talent while he’s cheap and give it a go rather than spend 35 million on a QB who’s bounced around his entire career.
Word

There is going to be 2024 top prospect QBs that will be BUSTS. See the Jets and Bears.

Id go WR and OL draft and then look for a QB.

Mayfield would chew up 35 million a year against their cap for the next 4 years. That’s over 100 million that could have been spent on other players when contrasted with the rookie QB. And he’s a mediocre QB.
That's the going rate for a decent to good QB Ivan. What have Mayfield shown?? That he can win with good talent around him that's what we really want. We can sign Mayfield and Trade #3 and get a haul in return. This Team needs Talent on Offense and good QB play Mayfield solves the latter.

That's the going rate for a decent to good QB Ivan. What have Mayfield shown?? That he can win with good talent around him that's what we really want. We can sign Mayfield and Trade #3 and get a haul in return. This Team needs Talent on Offense and good QB play Mayfield solves the latter.

No thanks. Spending a ton of money for a mediocre QB is idiotic, unless your goal is to be 9-8 every season, then it’s ideal. I have zero interest in the Patriots being mediocre for the next 10 years.

Mayfield has shown that he’s every bit as good as Andy Dalton.

No thanks to Mayfield. We are going to get a kid hat needs grooming. Get a vet for a year or two and trust the guy you just picked.

Your tough on Baker... Ivan.

I don’t dislike him, I just think he’s a mediocre QB that they won’t win a SB with, and I would much rather have bridge QB at half the price, and use the 5 years of a rookie QB salary to build with. I honestly don’t care about what they do next season, just as long as they are laying a strong foundation to build a contender with.

Mayfield would chew up 35 million a year against their cap for the next 4 years. That’s over 100 million that could have been spent on other players when contrasted with the rookie QB. And he’s a mediocre QB.
Question Cousin Ivan. What do you feel about Purdy? Is Mayffield better? Hve the Niners put resources around him? Would Mayfield on the Niners have made them better? Purdy made the Super Bowl.
I think Mayffield is a solid NFL QB with inconsistencies that have made him look All Pro one minute and 3rd string the next......but those inconsistencies seems to be shrinking. Is that a fair statement?
Look at all the resources we lose in the Draft that we could gather by moving that pick....yes?....no?
DW Toys

Last edited:
Mayfield is better than mediocre, a plus leader with a plus arm, but his mobility and physical attributes aren't top tier. Cousins is very good, but both of these guys would have to be overpaid to come here, and aren't the answer anyway when you have the #3 pick in a QB rich draft. Fields is the only vet we'd consider as an alternative to drafting one of the top 4 QB's, and that's only if our staff loves him which I doubt but can't rule it out.

So 90% chance we're gonna end up with Maye, Daniels, or McCarthy. The next question is value - do we pick at 3, or gamble with a small trade down if there's a willing partner in order to gain a couple of sorely needed extra picks? I don't care which of the three we pick so long as we get one of them, but I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE to milk another high 2nd round draft choice from the situation we're in.

Draft, draft, draft….

Fans don’t get that to acquire Cousins or Baker requires a stupid amount of money, they don’t understand how it affects the salary cap. Many believe the cap doesn’t exist or doesn’t matter… and this thought process is silly.

CJ Stroud is the best young QB from last year’s draft class. His average annual salary for the first five years of his career is roughly 9 million per, to put that in perspective Aaron Rogers is making 37.5 million per.

So you draft a stud rookie QB and you have five years to build the team around him, to build a superteam.

And by the time your QB needs to get paid, you can secure the superteam around him by paying them upfront, and even buy yourself some extra years by kicking your QB’s salary cap down the road like the Chiefs and Bills did with their young QB’s.

You have a window to win championships the way the Pat’s did from 2000-2004 or the Chiefs are doing now. The Bills, Chargers and Bengals have squandered their windows, it’s only going to get harder.

Stroud is better than Cousins, he’s better than Mayfield, he takes up 2% of your salary cap rather than 20%… this isn’t hard. If you miss in the draft like Mac, try again… at least your not sitting on millions of dollars of dead cap in limbo.

Last edited:
Question Cousin Ivan. What do you feel about Purdy? Is Mayffield better? Hve the Niners put resources around him? Would Mayfield on the Niners have made them better? Purdy made the Super Bowl.
I think Mayffield is a solid NFL QB with inconsistencies that have made him look All Pro one minute and 3rd string the next......but those inconsistencies seems to be shrinking. Is that a fair statement?
Look at all the resources we lose in the Draft that we could gather by moving that pick....yes?....no?
DW Toys

Purdy is a decent QB on a loaded team, and the 49ers are the exception, and not the rule. We can go round and round and round about this DW but absolutely nothing is going to change my mind about overpaying a mediocre QB just to be competitive. I’m not the least bit interested in the Patriots squeaking into the playoffs just to be knocked out by the good teams. I want them to build the team with the intention of creating a great team, that contends every year, like the Chiefs, not a mediocre team that squeaks by.

Draft, draft, draft….

Fans don’t get that to acquire Cousins or Baker requires a stupid amount of money, they don’t understand how it affects the salary cap. Many believe the cap doesn’t exist or doesn’t matter… and this thought process is silly.

CJ Stroud is the best young QB from last year’s draft class. His average annual salary for the first five years of his career is roughly 9 million per, to put that in perspective Aaron Rogers is making 37.5 million per.

So you draft a stud rookie QB and you have five years to build the team around him, to build a superteam.

And by the time your QB needs to get paid you can secure the superteam around him, pay them upfront, and even buy yourself some extra years by kicking your QB’s salary cap down the road like the Chiefs and Bills did with their young QB’s.

You have a window to win championships the way the Pat’s did from 2000-2004 or the Chiefs are doing now. The Bills, Chargers and Bengals have squandered their windows, it’s only going to get harder.

Stroud is better than Cousins, he’s better than Mayfield, he takes up 2% of your salary cap rather than 20%… this isn’t hard. If you miss in the draft like Mac, try again… at least your not sitting on millions of dollars of dead cap in limbo.

Right on the money. The Patriots have a shot at getting their franchise QB at #3, and they should take it.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back