PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Trey Flowers Be Tagged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I’m a little ahead of myself talking about this before season’s end, but it’s worth noting that the tag is projected to be roughly around 16 million for DE’s this offseason.

It’s honestly not that far off from what I’d be willing to pay Flowers. The market for DE’s will likely be set beyond this amount anyways.

Flowers is damn well worth the money IMO. This isn’t the same player as Chandler Jones. He’s no one trick pony. He is everything Bill wants in a edge defender.

I wouldn’t be shocked if Bill is willing to go the extra mile to keep him around.

He could be tagged, but I doubt anybody thinks he is worth Mack money. He is a very good DE, but I draw the line at very good. He isn't even Chandler Jones.

He could be tagged, but I doubt anybody thinks he is worth Mack money. He is a very good DE, but I draw the line at very good. He isn't even Chandler Jones.
Not Jones in Arizona, but I’d say Jones in New England is arguable.

Chandler was very good, but inconsistent here. Didn’t stop the run very well, and faded down the stretch in the postseason.

Flowers is the exact opposite of those things. Better player? I’m not sure. But Flowers is far more valuable here than Jones ever was in New England.

Flowers production and versatility make him a perfect fit in this D. I think the tag for a DE is $17M and I think Flowers is well worth it, but the Pats have strayed away from tagging players as it creates bad blood between the player and the team (Mankins, Welker, Samuel, etc).

Further complicating this deal is the fact that Flowers shares the same agent as BB. I'd say that makes them less likely to tag, but more likely to sign him after letting him test the waters.

The kid is a stud. His sack on Matt Ryan to put the Falcons out of field goal range is one of the great underapprecaited plays of the BB era.

But for one year @ 16M$... doesn't seem ridiculous for 2019 only...

I'm not saying I advocate it, but I wouldn't be freaking out about it. Especially if nothing in FA or the draft seems right.

But for one year @ 16M$... doesn't seem ridiculous for 2019 only...

I'm not saying I advocate it, but I wouldn't be freaking out about it. Especially if nothing in FA or the draft seems right.
Also remember that it would give us more leverage and time to try and work out a deal with him before he hits the market in 2020.

I think regardless we should try and get him to sign before the market gets set. He seems to love it here, but it’s hard to compete with a team that’s throwing 20+ million per year in his face.

Flowers production and versatility make him a perfect fit in this D. I think the tag for a DE is $17M and I think Flowers is well worth it, but the Pats have strayed away from tagging players as it creates bad blood between the player and the team (Mankins, Welker, Samuel, etc).

Further complicating this deal is the fact that Flowers shares the same agent as BB. I'd say that makes them less likely to tag, but more likely to sign him after letting him test the waters.

The kid is a stud. His sack on Matt Ryan to put the Falcons out of field goal range is one of the great underapprecaited plays of the BB era.
was it him or HTower

Patriots do not like to use franchise designation, but in this case would make an exception. They do not have any one remotely close to his skill set waiting in the wings unless you think either Keionta Davis or Ufamba Kumalu is ready
One year of Trey Flowers on tag would give them time to coach up Davis and or draft picks to take over in 2020

Last edited:
I’m starting to hope so, and I’m almost always against the tag, especially for a DE. Flowers is the whole package. I like him way more than I liked Jones and Collins.

Chandler was very good, but inconsistent here. Didn’t stop the run very well, and faded down the stretch in the postseason.

Flowers is the exact opposite of those things. Better player? I’m not sure. But Flowers is far more valuable here than Jones ever was in New England.

Jones would get chipped and double teamed and he played the run reasonably well. Flowers has been good. Chandler is a guy that could wreck a game if not game planned for....that is the difference between the two players.

Can't see it personally, but BB always surprises us.

Personally i can see it being $13-16m deal, with incentives built in.

Tag him to try and get more time to work out a new contract and if that doesnt work, trade him for 2 first rounders which we can use to draft a QB in 2020!

Tag him to try and get more time to work out a new contract and if that doesnt work, trade him for 2 first rounders which we can use to draft a QB in 2020!
Tag and trade to a team like Oakland for their second first round pick.
Maybe that fear would have Tre take the offered deal.
Make no mistake Raiders need a pass rusher makes sense.
I would try to get Carr from the Raiders if O didn't trust Tom to hang til 45 and beyond personally I do.
Only QBs I consider to move for Lock or Jones.
I still like the idea of a Blake Bottles reform plan.
If Hoyer retires
Plus we don't quite know what we have in Etling yet.

Jones would get chipped and double teamed and he played the run reasonably well. Flowers has been good. Chandler is a guy that could wreck a game if not game planned for....that is the difference between the two players.

I can't remember a single time Chandler Jones wrecked a game for us.

I would be fine with it.

I don't think Jones a better player in AZ than he was here.

Same player. Different role. Different results.

I don't see why not ...
Miguel had this a few months ago in a GREAT article:
After completing negotiations the two sides could agree on the following terms:

One big problem with the franchise tag is that you have to take the whole salary on the cap in that year, as opposed to pushing bigger cap hits back to later years when the cap is higher. Gilmore’s contract, for example, is $13 million per year average but only had a $8.6 million cap hit in the first year. A long term deal for Flowers with a $10 million 2019 cap hit is quite a bit easier to work around in the short term than a $17 million franchise tag.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back