PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say every pol, what exactly do you mean?
I don't believe politicians should get a single dime of what is being distributed. They aren't going to lose their jobs, they get pensions and have great healthcare.

I don't believe politicians should get a single dime of what is being distributed. They aren't going to lose their jobs, they get pensions and have great healthcare.

The provision applies to members of Congress. It isn't just aimed at Trump and his family.

Except I've attacked a number of Dems, including Biden, Cuomo, Schumer and Nancy Pelosi...that's my point. You seemed hyperfocused on Trump.

And FYI, you act like a know-it-all, but never once asked any of us if there are Dems that we like. That's because you assume we are evil and narrowminded and don't like any Dems. To humor you, there are a few Dems that I don't mind inluding Joe Manchin, Joe Lieberman, and yes I even liked aspects of the FDR/JFK presidencies.

Thanks. Everyone really wanted to know your approved list of politicians.

and how exactly has the last 4 years been a detriment to you? If the media wasn't so darn biased and have an agenda, most Americans would realize this country is doing quite well under Trump. But I get it, most people are too lazy and buy what the media is selling.

Overall, not taking into account the current failure to respond in time to this emergency, the primary issue is economic.

This is the main reason I'm a Lefty. Not social issues like guns, abortion, immigration... those are just distractions imo played up by the folks who don't want you paying attention to the money.

There's a reason at least the last 4 Republican presidents have presided over recessions.

They say, "hey look, the economyis doing great! Markets are awesome. More folks working."

But as with everything else... everything is relative. If income for the lower folks jumps 5%, but the upper class jumps 10%... the poor/middle just got poorer. Not sure why many people don't see that.

Add in deregulation that causes things like predatory lending and the housing crisis, and you have a lethal mix. A mix Republican administrations ALWAYS resort to.

They know their policies will create an inevitable crash, but it doesn't matter. They know a Dem will take over and fix things, and they'll get bailed out.

Having taken massive profits for those years, they'll patiently wait out the Dem administration as the economy recovers.

Then... rinse n repeat.

Wealth divide grows. Middle class families need basically 3 FT jobs and 200k in student loans to match the lifestyle of one FT job and no student loans 60 years ago.

Need to reverse that trend.

*a close second is the overall ignorant take on things that goes along with donny. Fake news, lies, racism, denial of science/facts... you know, general deplorability.

Eehhhh.....Fox and CNN have always had their leanings and people knew it. I believe the political polarization while amplified by the news reporting, it’s not the source. Typically, the ‘political mood’ of the country oscillated around some imaginary mean...swings to one side for awhile, and then back, and so on.

then the tea party came along and decided that only what they want and the way they want it was acceptable and there will be no compromise......time that along with our first black president, and you’ve created what we have now.

it really boils down to a simple belief that the WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) must be the demographic that must be in power at all cost. Surprised there was not an assassination attempt on Obama. Hell, the only catholic we ever had as president was assassinated and so was one that was going to be.

I wonder the course Vietnam would have taken if constant news existed back then.

which is why I read my news.......even if it’s a transcript of something live, reading your news instead of watching it produces a different result.....probably because it uses less of the senses and allows the brain to process better. I think you wind up better informed. The most obvious example is the 3 Fox News have on in the evening.....hannity, Carlson, and Ingraham? Same poop, different bags....you get through 3 hours of that, you need lorazepam just to get the noise out of your head
homer-bushes.gif

The provision applies to members of Congress. It isn't just aimed at Trump and his family.

I'm aware.

I don't disagree w/ the provision. I think Shumucker calling out how Trump's businesses won't get $ is just partisan BS rhetoric.

There aren't serological tests available so it's hard to tell if those anecdotal 'recurring' cases are actual recurrences or if people were just released before the virus had been expelled from their systems. Other coronaviruses generally confer some degree of immunity for a time depending on the strain. There was a report that this strain is not mutating very much, which is good news for antibodies and the potential for a long-term vaccine.

Those test are available but aren't in large scale use. This could show people who were infected and have recovered. This would give a better estimate of % of population infected and a better data for death rates and illness.

I'm aware.

I don't disagree w/ the provision. I think Shumucker calling out how Trump's businesses won't get $ is just partisan BS rhetoric.

This despite:

1. Trump's businesses receiving millions of dollars from the government over the past four years 2. The initial draft of this legislation featuring a $500B slush fund to be overseen by Mnuchin, where payments would only be disclosed publicly after six months?

Gonna have to disagree.

Some countries have guaranteed all incomes for 3 months.

This is eminently reasonable and we could do it easily, and you wouldn't have people complaining about rents, mortgages, etc.

We have 98m private sector workers in this country. If you guaranteed their salaries (average salary/income is $50k for full-timers) for 2 months, that would amount to $800 billion. That is considerably cheaper than the stimulus bill. Even better--if you capped the guarantee at somewhere between $50k and $100k (meaning a CEO who makes $30m a year wouldn't get 2 months of equivalent pay, but instead he'd only get say $100k/6) then the total cost would be considerably cheaper than $800 billion.

Such a plan would make discussions about which industries to save irrelevant since we'd come out of the crisis in about 3 months with all workers having retained their jobs.

Other countries are doing this and it's smart because the economic collapse is being caused by a pandemic which should peak in 2 months. Guaranteeing salaries will also allow people to isolate and stay home which will also create the quickest economic comeback.

We have so much economic firepower in this country but ideology prevents us from using it effectively.

The idea is also too simple.

This despite:

1. Trump's businesses receiving millions of dollars from the government over the past four years 2. The initial draft of this legislation featuring a $500B slush fund to be overseen by Mnuchin, where payments would only be disclosed publicly after six months?

Gonna have to disagree.

Yes, but "I'll do the oversight."

This despite:

Gonna have to disagree.
As long as the provision is in there I'm really not going to get caught up with what Chuckie says

So Pelosi isn't going to look at the bill today, and may torpedo the bipartiosan agreement between Schumer and McConnell.

Uh oh: Is Pelosi about to torpedo the coronavirus relief agreement?

Or is it? This report from Roll Call looks much more ominous:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that a massive stimulus agreement reached by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer and key members of the Trump administration shows improvement over a GOP proposal released late last week. But she didn’t give a clear sign of approval or commit to a House vote.

“House Democrats will now review the final provisions and legislative text of the agreement to determine a course of action,” she said in a statement.

Pelosi said the agreement could take negotiators “a long way down the road in meeting the needs of the American people.”

“Thanks to the unity and insistence of Senate and House Democrats, the bill has moved a great deal closer to America’s workers,” the California Democrat said in a statement.

Note that lack of commitment to putting the bill up for a vote. Pelosi blew up the negotiations over the weekend by demanding consideration of her own pork-riddled $2.5 trillion plan. That was seen as perhaps a negotiating ploy to get Chuck Schumer more leverage — and it appears to have worked. Schumer went on CNN this morning to claim victory for Democrats with this agreement, and pledged that aid would immediately get to Americans because of their skillful negotiations to improve the CARES Act.

Pelosi is a nasty old drunk.

New poll (CBS/YouGov):

Whom do you trust for #coronavirus info:

Dems:
CDC 87%
Your governor 75%
National media 72%
Friends/family 72%
Religious leaders 44%
Trump 14%

Republicans:
Trump 90%
CDC 84%
Friends/family 81%
Religious leaders 71%
Your governor 65%
National media 13%

stupidity is dangerous

Every pol should be on the list. Shumucker is just being spiteful.
They are. Businesses controlled by congressdroids, POTUS, VPOTUS, and various exec branch people are not eligible for the bailout $.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back