PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations World Series champion Red Sox

Looking back, it stung a LOT but the table was set for 04 in the long term when Grady Little left Pedro in. Otherwise the 03 Sox would have beaten the Yankees that day and probably thumped the Marlins, the curse ends and we celebrate in 03.

Then maybe the Nomar deal doesn't happen in 04 and the way things played out and the meaning of 04 for us and honestly for sports in general might be quite a bit different than what it is.

The 07, 2013 and 2018 championships were all a ton of fun.

On an emotional level, the 2004 team is in a different category.

I stated best single season for a reason. Didn't really want to debate who would win on the field or what everyone enjoyed the most as those are fun debates but not my point. On paper this is quite the case to be made for Best single season in baseball history! 108 wins, knock off 100 win Yanks, 103 win defending champs, and knock off 2 time NL Champ in 5.

I think the 1998 Yanks probably should get a slight edge for best single season team of all time - 114 wins, 11-2 in the postseason. Hard to beat that. 2008 Red Sox should get #2 with 108 wins, 11-3 postseason.

Last edited:
From day one they tried to make anyone who believed in the Sox look stupid. Who looks stupid now? Now of course they will try and diminish their place in baseball history by nitpicking everything they weren't perfect at.
You're right. It started this morning on 98.5.

I was thinking that too. 2004 has a special place in my memories just because of what it meant, but it's hard to argue that this team wasn't better, given what you listed. They're right up there, not just in Sox history, but all of baseball. Let's not forget that the Rays finished with 90 wins this year too, so they got 108 in one of the tougher divisions.

The 2004 team was special. Not only for breaking the "curse", but also being down 0-3 to the Yankees and beating them. Let me repeat that. The only team in the history of baseball to come back from an 0-3 deficit, and they completed it against the Yankees. Last night, the team had an option of what ace to pitch. Imagine that!

Reactions: sb1
The 07, 2013 and 2018 championships were all a ton of fun.

On an emotional level, the 2004 team is in a different category.
Yes, and each of the 4 WS seemed sort of anti-climactic to me. I thought the AL series were against better teams than they had to beat in the WS.

Yes, and each of the 4 WS seemed sort of anti-climactic to me. I thought the AL series were against better teams than they had to beat in the WS.

I tend to agree.

The 04 series with the Yankees was the most emotionally draining ('86 too but in a different way) professional sports series i've watched. Not trying to be a, "I was there guy" but I was at G3, 4 and 5 and was just wiped out after that series. Late nights. Emotional highs...crazy.

I think after G3 in STL I was convinced the series was over so yes, it was anti-climatic.

In 07 the grinded their way back from CLE and owned COL.

2013 was a little more dicey as the games with DET and STL were tough but eventually they took control of the series.

Same with 2018

I tend to agree.

The 04 series with the Yankees was the most emotionally draining ('86 too but in a different way) professional sports series i've watched. Not trying to be a, "I was there guy" but I was at G3, 4 and 5 and was just wiped out after that series. Late nights. Emotional highs...crazy.

I think after G3 in STL I was convinced the series was over so yes, it was anti-climatic.

In 07 the grinded their way back from CLE and owned COL.

2013 was a little more dicey as the games with DET and STL were tough but eventually they took control of the series.

Same with 2018
I have never been more nervous for a game than Game 7 of the 04 ALCS.. My stomach was in knots all leading up to it... please don't let them come all the way back just to blow it in Game 7.. Then Damon's grand slam finally allowed me to breathe.

All 4 teams were special.. 04 obvious reasons

07.. Probably the best team that mlb season, Veteran Ace Beckett, young Lester, Ellsbury coming up beasting, timely hitting, excellent team.. JD Drew's Grand slam against the Indians is a memory that comes to mind, what a moment that was.

13.. fun team all year that went on a magical run that most did not expect, probably the weakest team of the 4

18... best team all year, 108, Price stepping up after a stinker against NY, unreal Bullpen performance all postseason, and the most timely hitting I have ever seen - just a relentless stable of professional hitters that broke the Yanks, Astros and Dodgers backs.. those 2 out RBI's are total mind-killers for the other team. Great, great run.

The '27 Yankees were 110-44 in the regular season and sept the WS 4-0, final rec 114-44

The '18 Red Sox were 108-54 in the regular season and won the WS 4-1, final rec 119-57

So they aren't the '27 Yankees but they are not that far off.

The 2004 team was special. Not only for breaking the "curse", but also being down 0-3 to the Yankees and beating them. Let me repeat that. The only team in the history of baseball to come back from an 0-3 deficit, and they completed it against the Yankees. Last night, the team had an option of what ace to pitch. Imagine that!

They were so easy to like too, had a lot of chemistry between them, had personality and character, played the game the right way and looked like they had fun doing it, and that's the way baseball should be. I thought this year's champs were much the same way.

Honestly I think the 04 Sox really were America's team and that's why everyone (other than in St Louis and NY) cheered when they won it all.

Another amazing stat, they had home field advantage but played more games on the road, 8 than at home 6, and won more on the road, one of the greatest teams ever, certainly my lifetime.

Another amazing stat, they had home field advantage but played more games on the road, 8 than at home 6, and won more on the road, one of the greatest teams ever, certainly my lifetime.

That road postseason stat alone puts them in the conversation as one of the greatest in my opinion.

2-0 at Yankee stadium including a 16-1 de-pantsing of the Yankees.
3-0 in Minute Maid Park
2-1 at Dodger Stadium, and to be honest it should have been 3-0 as well.

Not many teams in history can dominate on the road like this one did.

I’d trade the past 4 Red Sox Championships for a single do over on any big Pats loss.

I'd trade the entire sport of baseball for a Pats preseason win

But good for the Red Sox. Don't care about the sport, but if I did I'd root for them

Its so nice to see that prick Puig lose for the hr that he hit that he thought was a walk off to win the WS or something.

Great win for Boston! Why is this city so consistently good at sports?

Reactions: ALP
I didn't cry last night but it was close. I am SOOOOO happy they won - what a great, likable team. My second favorite Sox squad, just behind 2004.

Not that the players come from the area, but it's even more remarkable considering how relatively small Boston is. 23rd most populous city in the country, or something like that. Providence, closer to Foxboro than Boston is, isn't even top-100. That's a lot of championships per capita!

Ownership, The Sox were around for 100 years, but you have to hand it to Henry/Warner they have consistently spent their money, improved the ballpark, and insisted on winning. They are not just sitting back and collecting money and tax write offs (and dating much younger women).

Ditto for Bob Kraft.

Now we just need for Kraft to buy the Bruins!!!!!

He had only thrown 85 pitches and was dealing. There was no need to pull him.

Men on 1st and 2nd. Price batting there was a guaranteed out. He got out of the bottom of the seventh, but walked the first batter in the eighth and was pulled.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back