PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations World Series champion Red Sox

Men on 1st and 2nd. Price batting there was a guaranteed out. He got out of the bottom of the seventh, but walked the first batter in the eighth and was pulled.
Pulling a pitcher who had retired 14 straight in a 5-1 game with only 85 pitches is overmanaging IMO.

Not that the players come from the area, but it's even more remarkable considering how relatively small Boston is. 23rd most populous city in the country, or something like that. Providence, closer to Foxboro than Boston is, isn't even top-100. That's a lot of championships per capita!
I also feel that there is a positive feedback of the drive for excellence in all spheres, including intellectual so that the pursuit of excellence becomes a cultural thing. You see others around you being the best in the world and it pushes you to achieve the same. I know I may be over extrapolating but there has got to be a sort of sibling rivalry among the teams right?

Pulling a pitcher who had retired 14 straight in a 5-1 game with only 85 pitches is overmanaging IMO.
Yup. I'm not going to get into hindsight on a move that 1) made sense at the time 2) the logic is clearly understandable in hindsight unless you're deliberately failing to understand and 3) had no effect on the outcome of the game.

Cora took a risk trying to stretch one more inning out of Price, and when he faltered by giving a leadoff walk he didn't mess around trying to make himself look smart, he went right to the bullpen and the bullpen delivered -- bigtime. Which, ironically, made him look pretty smart.

The '27 Yankees were 110-44 in the regular season and sept the WS 4-0, final rec 114-44

The '18 Red Sox were 108-54 in the regular season and won the WS 4-1, final rec 119-57

So they aren't the '27 Yankees but they are not that far off.
In 1927 many top players were not allowed in the league so the level of competition is skewed.

You can invent excuses and rationalizations for who to put where, the point is that when it comes to the all time greatest seasons in all of MLB, the 2018 Red Sox are clearly in the conversation somewhere. Exactly where is just as subjective as ranking all time top 10 quarterbacks (or at least the last 9 of them)

Great team, great manager, great win! Glad for David Price that he went from goat to great. Hope the Pats can win this year too! Let's go!

4 in 15 years

that's as of right now ahead of the pats who have 3 in the last 14 years, pending outcome this year

I'll take the Pats 5 SB wins and 8 AFC titles in 17 years (with a salary cap) over the Sox 4 WS wins and 4 AL titles in 15 years (without a salary cap) any time. Patsfans.com is a very bad place to make such a cherry-picked statement.

Can't argue with the results, but having Price bat in the top of the 7th had me scratching my head.

Listening to his comments after the game I'd be surprised if Price comes back. He seemed to have some anger issues with the media and probably shouldn't return.

Quite possibly best team in franchise history.
I think they are the greatest team ever....record number regular season wins....had to go thru 2nd hardest team and defending champs in Houston....and had to dispatch the always dangerous Stankees...incredible team that was NEVER out of a game all year and could come scratching and fighting back from ridiculous deficits!! Reminds me of another Boston team!! Congratulations to the 2018 World Series Champion Boston Red Sox!!!!

Yup. I'm not going to get into hindsight on a move that 1) made sense at the time 2) the logic is clearly understandable in hindsight unless you're deliberately failing to understand and 3) had no effect on the outcome of the game.

Cora took a risk trying to stretch one more inning out of Price, and when he faltered by giving a leadoff walk he didn't mess around trying to make himself look smart, he went right to the bullpen and the bullpen delivered -- bigtime. Which, ironically, made him look pretty smart.
Yep he didn't, "Pull a Grady"

I also feel that there is a positive feedback of the drive for excellence in all spheres, including intellectual so that the pursuit of excellence becomes a cultural thing. You see others around you being the best in the world and it pushes you to achieve the same. I know I may be over extrapolating but there has got to be a sort of sibling rivalry among the teams right?
I think you’re right. I also think the winning gives us (the fans) confidence, which then spills over to the team. The fans at our stadiums aren’t waiting for disaster to strike anymore, like we often did... especially at Fenway and in Foxboro.

I truly believe that if the Pats didn’t win the 2001 SB we would have MUCH fewer championships in the region than we do now.

Good times!

I'll take the Pats 5 SB wins and 8 AFC titles in 17 years (with a salary cap) over the Sox 4 WS wins and 4 AL titles in 15 years (without a salary cap) any time. Patsfans.com is a very bad place to make such a cherry-picked statement.
Agreed, but the Sox have most of those years played in the best division in baseball, not the dumpster fire the AFC East usually is. The Yankees have won a World Series in that time and the Rays played in one and both teams have numerous playoff appearances. Also until recently, only 4 AL teams got in the playoffs.

I’m a Dodgers fan and that was a tough blow. Roberts was the Red Sox MVP. Pulling Rich Hill in game 4 when he had the Red Sox on the ropes was unbelievable. Apparently, there was a lot boos when he walked out to take out Hill. LA times trashed Roberts after that debacle.

Also couldn’t believe how many f***ing times the Sox scored with two outs. Dodgers has their chances but choked. Don’t even get me started on Kershaw.

Please stop thinking about me. It's making me dumber by the second.

I don't mind a baseball thread being here, but it crosses the line when Pats fans have to be subjected to criticism from Sox fans because we might want them in the Red Sox forum where they belong. I also take exception to the Sox fan who decided to take a poke at the Pats' recent success as being less worthy than the Sox.

As for the comparisons to 2004, let me put that into perspective also. At the time in 2004 when the Pats were setting the record for most consecutive wins in the NFL (still standing) what was the talk in the media? Let me tell you. It was "Will A-Rod be coming to Boston." Pardon me if I now don't want to do cartwheels on a Pats message board about the Red Sox.

I'm happy for all of my Red Sox fan friends but I don't think that this is the place for that celebration, especially if it entails knocking down the Pats or their fans.

I’m a Dodgers fan and that was a tough blow. Roberts was the Red Sox MVP. Pulling Rich Hill in game 4 when he had the Red Sox on the ropes was unbelievable. Apparently, there was a lot boos when he walked out to take out Hill. LA times trashed Roberts after that debacle.

Also couldn’t believe how many f***ing times the Sox scored with two outs. Dodgers has their chances but choked. Don’t even get me started on Kershaw.
I wouldn't even say the Dodgers choked, they just got out-executed by Boston. The Sox made the pitches, hits, defensive plays when they needed and got a lights out performance from the bullpen. The Dodgers just ran into a buzz-saw.

I wasn't focused on the pitcher. There were 3 guys warming in the bullpen. I was focused on two men on with two outs and the pitcher coming up to bat.

I wasn't focused on the pitcher. There were 3 guys warming in the bullpen. I was focused on two men on with two outs and the pitcher coming up to bat.

Why bother having the guys in front of Price bat at all if you are going to deliberately strand them?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back