PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congratulations World Series champion Red Sox

Not a Baseball fan,,,but anything Boston wins as World Champions still makes me happy.
Plus whatever makes New York sick is a win win ! Especially that embicile on First Take ,,,who predicted the Cliff for the GOAT over a Year ago and changed his timeline a dozen times and has ran out of excuses !!. Well done Red Sox. GO PATS.

Does this team have a legitimate claim to being one of the best baseball teams all time? 108-54 record, 11-3 in the postseason, knocked off two 100+ win teams on the way to the championship. I would say so. They were dominant. I only wish I could be that comfortable during the Patriots next Super Bowl game.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats to Mookie for finally contributing something in the World Series. He saved his best for last.

Does this team have a legitimate claim to being one of the best baseball teams all time? 108-54 record, 11-3 in the postseason, knocked off two 100+ win teams on the way to the championship. I would say so. They were dominant. I only wish I could be that comfortable during the Patriots next Super Bowl game.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats to Mookie for finally contributing something in the World Series. He saved his best for last.

I was thinking that too. 2004 has a special place in my memories just because of what it meant, but it's hard to argue that this team wasn't better, given what you listed. They're right up there, not just in Sox history, but all of baseball. Let's not forget that the Rays finished with 90 wins this year too, so they got 108 in one of the tougher divisions.

I agree, one of the best ever. Mowing through the two 100+ win teams in the AL, then dominating the Dodgers, so impressive. Cora is one of the most mature leaders I've seen in the public sphere.

Another reason why not to listen to sports talk radio, first they wanted to run Price out of town because he was rude to reporters, how the bullpen would falter in the post season and then the neverending conversation about how dumb Dombrowski is/was for not making this team better..

I do not follow the RS as much as I used to, primarily because of the speed of the game, but this was a team for the ages.. Cora was a great hire, the more I listen to him and watch his moves the more I like him.. Cora is everything that Farrell was not; good with the press, informative, made great in game decisions and seemed to be well liked by his team..
From day one they tried to make anyone who believed in the Sox look stupid. Who looks stupid now? Now of course they will try and diminish their place in baseball history by nitpicking everything they weren't perfect at.

I think we deserve a comfortable championship run after what the Pats put us through in recent years! :D

im gonna keep bumping this thread in your honor until u cry about it to the mods lmao:D
Please stop thinking about me. It's making me dumber by the second.

I was thinking that too. 2004 has a special place in my memories just because of what it meant, but it's hard to argue that this team wasn't better, given what you listed. They're right up there, not just in Sox history, but all of baseball. Let's not forget that the Rays finished with 90 wins this year too, so they got 108 in one of the tougher divisions.

The Sox shut things down the last couple of weeks too. I think they could have won 115 in the regular season or more if they were inclined to try.

In the playoffs the Red Sox roughed up JA Happ (who'd dominated the Red Sox), Luis Severino (33-14 last 2 seasons and won 19 games in 2018), CC Sabbathia, the entire Houston pitching staff INCLUDING Verlander in the final game, and Kershaw twice.

Yes, I'd say this is the greatest Red Sox team ever. This team has coconuts...

Nice swing Machapo.

upload_2018-10-29_8-44-24.png

I started following baseball religiously in the early 80s and in my lifetime I'd stay these are the top 5 teams I've seen (in no order).

1984 Detroit Tigers- Started 35-5. Cruise control the entire year. Blew away teams in the playoffs.
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? Better record.

1986 Mets- 108 wins. They had it all. Power. Speed. Hitting. Defense. Pitching. Grinders.
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? Same record. More dominant in the playoffs.

1989 A's- 103 wins. Dominated the playoffs. Great pitching. Excellent hitting. Loads of talent.
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? Better record but not sure they are.

1998 Yankees- Won 114 games. The best Yankee team of the dynasty
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? I don't think they are.

1995 Braves- Strike-shortened year. Dominant starting pitching. Great offense. The toughest of the disappointing Braves teams

With that said I think the 2018 Red Sox are absolutely in the discussion.

However....I think a 7 game series with the 2004 Red Sox would be a war. People forget that team- including playoffs went 51-18 after Aug 6th. Thats sick

Great Series win, totally dominant, could have been a sweep.

Sale coming out like Wild Thing to finish it was the cherry on top.. so awesome

AdorableGloriousBanteng-size_restricted.gif

Best team in baseball all year and looked even better throughout the playoffs - amazing season, congrats Champs.

04 will always be the gold standard for me.
I stated best single season for a reason. Didn't really want to debate who would win on the field or what everyone enjoyed the most as those are fun debates but not my point. On paper this is quite the case to be made for Best single season in baseball history! 108 wins, knock off 100 win Yanks, 103 win defending champs, and knock off 2 time NL Champ in 5.

I started following baseball religiously in the early 80s and in my lifetime I'd stay these are the top 5 teams I've seen (in no order).

1984 Detroit Tigers- Started 35-5. Cruise control the entire year. Blew away teams in the playoffs.

1986 Mets- 108 wins. They had it all. Power. Speed. Hitting. Defense. Pitching. Grinders.
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? Same record. More dominant in the playoffs.

1989 A's- 103 wins. Dominated the playoffs. Great pitching. Excellent hitting. Loads of talent.
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? Better record but not sure they are.

1998 Yankees- Won 114 games. The best Yankee team of the dynasty
Why the 2018 Red Sox are better? I don't think they are.

1995 Braves- Strike-shortened year. Dominant starting pitching. Great offense. The toughest of the disappointing Braves teams

With that said I think the 2018 Red Sox are absolutely in the discussion.

However....I think a 7 game series with the 2004 Red Sox would be a war. People forget that team- including playoffs went 51-18 after Aug 6th. Thats sick

Yup. I think they also won something like 20 of 22 in August-Sept and closed the gap on the Yankees from 10.5 games to 2. That was an all time GREAT team. 03 was awesome too but not meant to be.

As for the 98 Yankees, different era of the game but I'd say this year's Sox is right up there with them IMO. The pitching is pretty even and both lineups are very balanced and very deep, hitting for average and power.

IIRC the AL was mediocre in 1998 and the Yankees were challenged by the Indians for much of the season including the ALCS and even the Sox were competitive against them. This year's Sox weren't seriously challenged by anyone all year, wire to wire. Then again one could argue that the difference is Mariano Rivera in his prime > Kimbrel

Last edited:
Nothing beats the 04 season I agree, that was by far the best moment I’ve ever experienced as a Red Sox fan. The later championships were cool, but the 04 is just special!

Looking back, it stung a LOT but the table was set for 04 in the long term when Grady Little left Pedro in. Otherwise the 03 Sox would have beaten the Yankees that day and probably thumped the Marlins, the curse ends and we celebrate in 03.

Then maybe the Nomar deal doesn't happen in 04 and the way things played out and the meaning of 04 for us and honestly for sports in general might be quite a bit different than what it is.

that’s his top choice

Good. They could use another strikeout king with Aaron "NYNY" Judge and GianKKKKKarlo. Hope Machado has extra padding for his at bats in Fenway.

Yup. I think they also won something like 20 of 22 in August-Sept and closed the gap on the Yankees from 10.5 games to 2. That was an all time GREAT team. 03 was awesome too but not meant to be.

As for the 98 Yankees, different era of the game but I'd say this year's Sox is right up there with them IMO. The pitching is pretty even and both lineups are very balanced and very deep, hitting for average and power.

IIRC the AL was mediocre in 1998 and the Yankees were challenged by the Indians for much of the season including the ALCS and even the Sox were competitive against them. This year's Sox weren't seriously challenged by anyone all year, wire to wire. Then again one could argue that the difference is Mariano Rivera in his prime > Kimbrel

Exactly. Its fanboy speculation. What I do know is the teams I listed were well-rounded, had a ton of talent, were dominant and closed the deal.

The 2018 Red Sox meet that criteria and then some.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back