PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College championship Saturday

Any of the jabronis arguing that turf is safer than grass STILL want to argue that moronic point after watching the turf get RIPPED up just now in Atlanta?

Indianapolis

Bama gets in over OSU imo. Hard to justify picking 2 loss OSU including a drubbing against Iowa over a 1 loss SEC team, not to mention Clemson-Bama III = $$$. Also remember what happened last time OSU faced Clemson?

Bama gets in over OSU imo. Hard to justify picking 2 loss OSU including a drubbing against Iowa over a 1 loss SEC team
All good points, but again, OSU has beaten 3 top fifteen schools this year (2 in the top 4), and had more offensive firepower and 50+ yard plays against the #1 defense in college football during the first 20 mins than they’ve allowed all year—total. It was the SEC team that didn’t play anyone this year.

Of course, they’ve also got the conference championship under their belts now, too. Their resume is much more impressive than Alabama’s. I don’t think it should matter what the score of the last Clemson/OSU game was, although I get your point because as of now, I do think it would be another lopsided affair. It’s going to be a tough call for the committee, but I think they set themselves up for this scenario by knocking them down to #5 last week. They could’ve easily kept them at #4, and simply moved Wisconsin up, had they won this week. By moving Bama out of the top 4 last week, I think they gave themselves some wiggle room to have them jumped. We’ll know soon enough.

All good points, but again, OSU has beaten 3 top fifteen schools this year (2 in the top 4), and had more offensive firepower and 50+ yard plays against the #1 defense in college football during the first 20 mins than they’ve allowed all year—total. It was the SEC team that didn’t play anyone this year.

Of course, they’ve also got the conference championship under their belts now, too. Their resume is much more impressive than Alabama’s. I don’t think it should matter what the score of the last Clemson/OSU game was, although I get your point because as of now, I do think it would be another lopsided affair. It’s going to be a tough call for the committee, but I think they set themselves up for this scenario by knocking them down to #5 last week. They could’ve easily kept them at #4, and simply moved Wisconsin up, had they won this week. By moving Bama out of the top 4 last week, I think they gave themselves some wiggle room to have them jumped. We’ll know soon enough.

I agree they gave themselves wiggle room. Ultimately, it may come down to who they feel gives Clemson the better game. And in this regard there's no doubt the narrative favors Bama. What OSU has going for them is being Big 10 Champions now. We'll know soon enough. CFB playoffs need to be expanded to the top 8 regardless.

Final four is ou

Clemson v Alabama

Oklahoma v Georgia

1 Clemson
2 Oklahoma
3 Georgia
4Alabama

Bama doesn't even make their conference championship and they're in. What a farce.

Buckeyes get scorned.
Nama would have lost 2 if they played osu schedule and osu would not have lost more than 1 if they lost one vs Alabama’s.

Hopefully Clemson embarrasses Bama.

I'm surprised to see all this Bama hate on our board lol. I'm not even a Bama fan, but they're the Patriots of college football. OSU is sort of like..the Steelers. Lots of talent and they'll break through to win it all sometimes, but nobody consistently produces like Bama. Do you guys really think OSU gives Clemson a tougher game than Bama?

Hurts is awful.

Can't believe they stuck with him this long.

Man, this is a tough crowd.

As a true freshman in 2016, Hurts passed for 2780 yards for 23 TDs vs. 9 INT, and rushed for 954 yards. He leads them to an undefeated season going into the National Championship against Clemson, and rushed for a go-ahead TD with 2 minutes left (only to have Deshaun Watson pull the game out).

This year, he has passed for 1940 yards for 15 TDs versus only 1 INT (think Saban likes that?) and rushed for 768 yards, leading Alabama to a second final four appearance with only one loss.

And this guy "is awful"? Yeah, all of that winning must have clouded Saban's mind, I can't believe he has stayed with Hurts for so long. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised to see all this Bama hate on our board lol. I'm not even a Bama fan, but they're the Patriots of college football. OSU is sort of like..the Steelers. Lots of talent and they'll break through to win it all sometimes, but nobody consistently produces like Bama. Do you guys really think OSU gives Clemson a tougher game than Bama?
It's not hate, they're just not as deserving to go to the playoffs as OSU. OSU has 3 victories more impressive than Alabama's most impressive one. The SEC is overrated and has been for years.

It's not hate, they're just not as deserving to go to the playoffs as OSU. OSU has 3 victories more impressive than Alabama's most impressive one. The SEC is overrated and has been for years.

You mean the same OSU team who gave up 55 points to unranked Iowa? The same school that got CRUSHED by Clemson last year while Bama has been involved in 2 straight playoff classics the last two years?

You guys are just in denial based on past precedence. I fully expected the committee to pick Bama over OSU. Its worse to have bad losses than it is to have better wins. At least that's what history would suggest and we saw that again today. Not to mention, OSU does have TWO losses compared to ONE by Bama on the road at a quality team like Auburn no less.

The FSU game from earlier in the year would've been a quality opponent for Bama if not for the injury to FSU's QB, so I can't side with those who think Bama took the easy way out.

Clemson could well be the best team again in college football but y'all are reaching big time against Bama.

You mean the same OSU team who gave up 55 points to unranked Iowa? The same school that got CRUSHED by Clemson last year while Bama has been involved in 2 straight playoff classics the last two years?
Last year doesn't matter one bit. If you have to fall back on last year to support your claim, that only shows how weak your claim really is.

I don't like rewarding teams who play weak ass schedules. We are talking 2017 here. If you want to talk 2016, go to a college football history forum.

Last edited:
Last year doesn't matter one bit. If you have to fall back on last year to support your claim, that only shows how weak your claim really is.

I don't like rewarding teams who play weak ass schedules. We are talking 2017 here. If you want to talk 2016, go to a college football history forum.

To be clear to all of the conspiracy theorists and tin foil hat wearing crowd - this is what we now know with certainty.

1. We know Committee will put the best 4 teams in the playoff. They set a precedent last year when they selected Ohio St over Penn State. If they hadn't done that, then Ohio State gets in this year.

2. We know they are okay with putting in two teams from same conference.

3. We know winning a Conference Championship is something teams should try and win, but it's not always a sure thing.

It is about getting the 4 best teams into the playoffs, and the committee got it right AGAIN.

It is about getting the 4 best teams into the playoffs, and the committee got it right AGAIN.
No they didn't. Alabama's piss poor SOS is a joke.

Any team that schedules Mercer should be automatically disqualified and sent to the Belk Bowl.

No they didn't. Alabama's piss poor SOS is a joke.

Any team that schedules Mercer should be automatically disqualified and sent to the Belk Bowl.

Your assertion is as comical as those who continue to claim the AFC east sucks when we have a better winning % outside of our division than within it.

If your life was on the line, even most of the biggest Bama haters would take them over OSU in any matchup against Clemson RIGHT NOW.

I have nothing more to add you're free to believe what you want. Cheers.

Your assertion is as comical as those who continue to claim the AFC east sucks when we have a better winning % outside of our division than within it.

If your life was on the line, even most of the biggest Bama haters would take them over OSU in any matchup against Clemson RIGHT NOW.

I have nothing more to add you're free to believe what you want. Cheers.
You need to stop frothing at the mouth over this issue. Really, it's not a big deal. Your comparisons to the AFC East and last year's season have absolutely zero to do with the issue at hand.

You need to stop frothing at the mouth over this issue. Really, it's not a big deal. Your comparisons to the AFC East and last year's season have absolutely zero to do with the issue at hand.

That's because you continue to make ridiculous statements like "Any team that schedules Mercer should be automatically disqualified and sent to the Belk Bowl." Do you know how biased you sound when you say stuff like that? I dont really care if Bama or OSU was selected to the topo 4. I have no horse in this race.

The precedence was already set where winning your conference doesnt automatically make you qualify for the playoffs, or if you go undefeated in a weaker conference. OSU could've made it just like Bama, you can justify the case for both schools.

What you're saying is that it ISN'T justifiable for the committee to pick Bama, and that's where you're mistaken as OSU made it last year while Bama made it this year on similar circumstances.

That's because you continue to make ridiculous statements like "Any team that schedules Mercer should be automatically disqualified and sent to the Belk Bowl." Do you know how biased you sound when you say stuff like that? I dont really care if Bama or OSU was selected to the topo 4. I have no horse in this race.
LOL!! I thought you "had nothing more to add"?? (Doesn't anyone - besides me - actually honor their own word when they claim they have nothing more to say?)

You need to relax. The "Belk Bowl" comment was a joke. As for Alabama and OSU this year, Alabama's SOS was piss poor. The only thing that really even brings it up is the game against Auburn, which they lost.

I wish the playoff committee would not reward teams with weak schedules, one which includes an FCS team in this instance.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back