PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Cowherd ridicules the idea that Aaron Rodgers is comparable to Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets put it simple, Rogers may be a better passer, Brady is the best QB
Rodgers is remarkably good at throwing in the run, so gets a lot of deserved credit being adapting that way. Too some people that defines quarterbacking. But, really, has he ever carried a team the way Brady did V's the Jets? THAT is quarterbacking. (Rodgers is a very worthy second best to Brady)

538 did a piece on this. Basically Rogers is always conservative to avoid the interception, even when a risk is needed to win the game.

Skeptical Football: The Aaron Rodgers Enigma

I don't know if all that is right, but it's an interesting perspective that seems to make sense. And it is odd that he has so few comebacks given how good he is normally. Been down 21 times by nine points, never pulled out a win.
I'll miss 538 when ESPN axes them.

538 did a piece on this. Basically Rogers is always conservative to avoid the interception, even when a risk is needed to win the game.

Skeptical Football: The Aaron Rodgers Enigma

I don't know if all that is right, but it's an interesting perspective that seems to make sense. And it is odd that he has so few comebacks given how good he is normally. Been down 21 times by nine points, never pulled out a win.

thanks for sharing that.
get rodgers in a hole early and the game is over...

dont think anyone in the media has ever mentioned his lack of a clutch gene. to quote our pal skip bayless. lol

Rodgers looked completely befuddled @ SEA and @ BUF last season. If you want to be the greatest, you need to put the team on your back against a great defense on the road once in a while. We'll see what happens tomorrow night, but I think he'll struggle again.

I thought Rodgers was better than Brady before this season. I'm in absolute awe of what Tom has done this year. Best half-season of quarterbacking the league has ever seen. He's the best right now, no doubt.

I thought Rodgers had the better regular season last season but Brady took home the Lombardi. This season Brady has been the best player in football and its not close, regardless of stats, he is simply dominating the opposition.

Cowherd's an enigma to me.

He can be a complete arrogant, asshat. Yet somehow there's some likability to him.
Not really an enigma. The likability for you comes from him liking Brady. If he talked up Rogers over Brady I bet your feelings about him would seem clearer.

I'll take Brady over anything I've ever seen...right now. I've never seen the position played better.

That said, anyone else notice all the ballwashing going on regarding the Pats last couple of weeks? "Will they be perfect?"

"Is this team better than '07?"

"Brady is the bestest ever!!!!"

I get the feeling the NFL jackasses and their mouthpieces realized they poked a bear and are desperately trying to lull it back to sleep.

Lets put it simple, Rogers may be a better passer, Brady is the best QB

Good point. Rogers may be the better passer by a little but the skill of passing doesn't encompass the whole position of QB.
Like many I didn't know Rogers lacked of comebacks. That is a mark you typically have to hit to be listed among 'best of the best'.

He nailed that playoff thing that everyone in the media seems to ignore because he has the 1 SB. "2-5 since his 1 playoff run, those two wins the Dez Bryant catch/non-catch and the Joe Webb QB'd Vikings"

But really everything he he says in that clip is what some of us have continually said on here.

I myself have always liked Cowherd more than most do. I just think he is better than a lot of guys that have an open mic in sports media.

Good point. Rogers may be the better passer by a little but the skill of passing doesn't encompass the whole position of QB.
Like many I didn't know Rogers lacked of comebacks. That is a mark you typically have to hit to be listed among 'best of the best'.

Exactly. If all it takes to play QB is to have a great arm, then Donovan McNabb would be a top 10 all time QB. Too bad he had **** for brains and the stamina of Paul Blart, Mall Cop.

The Herd is the only radio show I listen to. Mostly because the guy is one of the funniest trolls out there, but also because he loves Brady and in turn roots for the Patriots.

Colin changes his presidential vote based on a Patriots tweet - 'The Herd'

"There's five things I care about, the economy, health care, Isis, education, and respect for Tom Brady..." - Cowherd

The entire issue of Brady vs Rodgers is a much more interesting one than Brady vs Manning, and has been for the last 5 years. Brady has ALWAYS been on top simply based on his total career, but Rodgers seemed to have taken the lead if you were considering who you would want right now. However since KC last season, Brady has regained a lot of that ground he lost, an can now make a strong case for that title as well.

Rodgers is an excellent QB no matter how biased we all are in Brady's favor. He is infinitely more mobile and evasive. He is a much better long ball thrower. He is smart, hart working, and an excellent field general. But in the end, even now, Brady should be the choice for the following reasons.

1. He has proven to be much more durable, so you know he will be there.

2. Even now, he he has proven that he can succeed against the best defenses in the most pressure situations.

3. His career playoff record is just SO much better than his competition that it is just ridiculous. I mean, of the current QB's the second best playoff record is being held by Joe freakin' Flacco

4. After watching what Brady did to Baltimore and Seattle in last year's playoff, those stats about Rodgers' combacks from more than 9 points, if true, are damning

Before most of us would take Rodger long term, because of his age. But the way Brady is not just playing well at 38, he is getting better, for Christ sakes. :eek: So even that advantage is slipping away.

As for Cowherd, I usually have liked him as much as any of the mediots. He isn't afraid to speak his mind. He will admit when he's wrong. And he saw the quagmire ESPN had become and smartly left. I wish him well. (BTW- what is the local radio channel in Boston that you can listen to him?)

The entire issue of Brady vs Rodgers is a much more interesting one than Brady vs Manning, and has been for the last 5 years. Brady has ALWAYS been on top simply based on his total career, but Rodgers seemed to have taken the lead if you were considering who you would want right now. However since KC last season, Brady has regained a lot of that ground he lost, an can now make a strong case for that title as well.

Rodgers is an excellent QB no matter how biased we all are in Brady's favor. He is infinitely more mobile and evasive. He is a much better long ball thrower. He is smart, hart working, and an excellent field general. But in the end, even now, Brady should be the choice for the following reasons.

1. He has proven to be much more durable, so you know he will be there.

2. Even now, he he has proven that he can succeed against the best defenses in the most pressure situations.

3. His career playoff record is just SO much better than his competition that it is just ridiculous. I mean, of the current QB's the second best playoff record is being held by Joe freakin' Flacco

4. After watching what Brady did to Baltimore and Seattle in last year's playoff, those stats about Rodgers' combacks from more than 9 points, if true, are damning

Before most of us would take Rodger long term, because of his age. But the way Brady is not just playing well at 38, he is getting better, for Christ sakes. :eek: So even that advantage is slipping away.

As for Cowherd, I usually have liked him as much as any of the mediots. He isn't afraid to speak his mind. He will admit when he's wrong. And he saw the quagmire ESPN had become and smartly left. I wish him well. (BTW- what is the local radio channel in Boston that you can listen to him?)

Montana never had a strong arm. I love the fact that brady has worked on his mobility a lil.

I like Rogers a lot, but, to me, he is simply today's Peyton Manning in the MVP debate.

Ya know, you guys seem to worry about this a lot. Hey, I'm a Green Bay fan and a Rodgers fan. I also lived in NE for the first 16 years of my life and loved the Pats, but unfortunately for me it was the pre-glory years. Steve Grogan was the MAN for me back when I was a little tyke.

So here it is:

a) this season: Brady is the MVP frontrunner so far. No question.
b) the most talented QB over the last 3-4 years. Rodgers.
c) the most accomplished and one of, if not the greatest QB of modern times. Brady.

Why are you all bending over backwards to point out Rodgers' faults? Yeah he has some, but he is also brilliant in a way neither Manning nor anyone outside of Brady has been for two decades. But please don't sound like Skip Butless, it's beneath you. Rodgers isn't getting ball-washed any more than a bunch of other guys.

Rodgers has more chances to win SBs. If he wins none, then he won't be considered one of the greatest. If he wins one more, he'll be in the discussion. If he wins two more, he'll definitely be in the discussion. Barring injury he should have another 5-6 good years left to get there.

If Rodgers hadn't had a torn calf last year, I think the Packers would have beaten the Seahawks in the NFC title game, setting up a Pats-Packers SB last year. But that's all woulda-shoulda-coulda.

Cowherd's an enigma to me.

He can be a complete arrogant, asshat. Yet somehow there's some likability to him.
He is always an asshat

@ExpatPack

That's probably a post you want to delete...

yeah...nice "rebuttal". I love you enemy team pukes. Here it is in a nutshell pal, and you'll still probably NEVER see it...Rodgers IS a great QB...hell there are a number of great/good quarterbacks in the NFL. There is no quarterback in the NFL that has EVER faced the pressure, the stacked deck, the daily public attacks on his character, the constant wild eyed media assaults and the overwhelming hatred and wishes for failure that Tom Brady has faced. When I see a Rodgers or a Manning or a Wilson perform at a zenith under THIS constant pressure, perhaps I'll listen to your fanboy platitudes.

Until then, child...please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents