PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Cowherd has a theory on Belichick and the QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't really say anything that I haven't heard suggested elsewhere. And dare I say it even sounds plausible. I don't know (obviously) anything that's going on in BB's mind, Kraft's mind, TB12's mind or anything. But things like this do happen in sports and you only find out about it years later. And we've seen other great players go down this road. Tom, himself, has talked about the possibility of things ending poorly in NE if he wishes to continue playing.

With all that said, I have no clue what's really going on and I just hope it doesn't derail the attempt to put together another 3 in 4 run. I hope that Brady does somehow continue to play at this extremely high level for a few more years. And I certainly hope they find another QB who shows the promise that Jimmy G did. The word coming out of NE is that they really believe that kid is special and, at least to this point, he's showing that they are right.

What an incoherent mess.

The entire premise of BB holds grudges and didnt want to trade him to the Browns because he got fired there is so stupid. BB is a pragmatic person and the Browns are in the AFC. That is all there is to know about that situation.

Similarly do you know how much BB cares about legacy ?

The last 2 minutes from 41:20 tell you all you need to know about him..

That's who he is. At the biggest stages he deflects compliments to his players and coaches and during bitter losses he assumes responsibility and points to bad coaching.

If you don't want to click on the link, the theory is that Bill wanted to move Brady for Jimmy eventually and Kraft said no. Bill got pissed and traded both Jacoby and Jimmy for below value to destroy the Patriots future after he leaves.

very interesting

this could be an important hot take

what say you, @KontradictioN and @Bruins29
Definitely a hawt taek. Has Cowherd been tested for CTE? Although I have to admit I’m not sure how you would get CTE from secretly choking yourself with used jock straps in the locker room after the game.

I like this weird lingering Pro-Jimmy crowd we got here. Our own personal Alt-wrong group.

Belichick cares about legacy, has a mathematical shot at Shulas record and decides to **** over the players and coaches because he's pretty. OK.

I like this weird lingering Pro-Jimmy crowd we got here. Our own personal Alt-wrong group.

Belichick cares about legacy, has a mathematical shot at Shulas record and decides to **** over the players and coaches because he's pretty. OK.
I'm going with Alt-Jimmy.

Guess all those reports about the Pats trying to sign Jimmy, but couldn't get it done (he wants to PLAY...the money won't be an issue) should be ignored.

Hey, I hate that they traded Jimmy - I think he could be a star, absolutely. You can't keep two QBs who both want the field and both cost you in the $20m range, and I hear that Brady kid is pretty good.

To tell the truth, I remain more perplexed by the Brissett trade (though they still would have had to bring in Hoyer) than the other one. Then again, while I like Brissett, I don't see "special" there.

It would obviously be out of character for Bill to not have had this conversation regarding the future at QB over the past few years and maybe I could even buy that he and Kraft discussed trading Brady even if they win this year, Kraft said no way no how Tom stays til he drops, and by the time it was “now or never” to get something for Jimmy they didn’t have a ton of leverage to trade a QB everyone knew they couldn’t afford to sign. A high 2 pick isn’t a bad return, it just doesn’t meet the ridiculous “NINE #1 PICKS FOR JG” standard some patsfans had.

That said if CLE (not even the same organization, really, that BB was a part of) wanted him that badly then it is a little hard to believe they couldn’t have squeezed them for more than SF gave (“you’re in our conference we’re gonna need an extra couple mid-rounders...”). Or maybe Bill just respected that Lynch asked for Brady.

In any to case to ascribe some sort of malicious intent to BB to screw over future Pats players, coaches, and organization is somewhere between a hot take conspiracy overreach and totally insane.

The great thing about this is that none of us know anything, so we are free to speculate, as long as we do so acknowledging that we don't know what the heck talking about. Any of us. We don't know what we're talking about. We're guessing.

That said, my take, from the day I heard about the Garoppolo trade, has been that it was Kraft's decision and that he made the decision beccause he realized how very, very badly he had treated Brady during Deflategate. The only foundation in fact that I can offer for that is that building for the future with Garoppolo is consistent with every major personnel move that BB has made in 18 years...move on from a guy a year too early rather than a year too late. I even think Belichick was ready to endure an awkward, cap-busting transition year in 2018-19 with the Pats paying $10+ million for Brady not to play, at least in New England. As we can surmise from Brady's history at Michigan with Drew (who's he?) Henson, it was very unlikely that Brady would have stayed on the NEP Roster sharing time with Garropolo or backing him up...nor should he have done so.

As for Belichick's personal feelings, angers, etc.,...well, that's pure speculation and I won't go there. I'll just stick with the few facts we now know.

Garoppolo, who seems like the real deal, is gone. Belichick, according to too many reports for it not to have some basis in fact, is making life very uncomfortable for Brady's alter-ego, Alex Guerrero, allowing Guerrero (fraud, genius, manipulator, Yoko...whatever you might call him) to treat only Brady on the premises and casting a cloud over his practice. There are a million possible conspiracy theories there...but there seems to be enough money or reputational concern involved that everybody is keeping quiet (so far). Brady is playing at an MVP level at the age of 40.

Here's where I'd disagree a bit with Cowherd. Yes, I think this is heading for a messy end. Belichick is the acorn that fell from the tree of Parcells and had the temerity to grow into a bigger Oak. But, like Parcells, he will do what he wants at the end, the only difference being that he has a chance to do it after winning his sixth Lombardi as HC.

Also, Cowherd is leaving out one other possible landing spot for Belichick.

Since we're on the topic of Bill Parcells, The New York Tabloids have started whispering that Belichick could go full circle and end up as HC of the NYG...or as GM with Josh as HC. If Cowherd is looking for a "Belichick Revenge Scenario" (and I'm not agreeing with him there), that would be the ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back