PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Not a fair question. Why don’t you ask the reigning Super Bowl champions the same question. They’re the ones with the staff that do this for a living.
You mean the ones that were HOPING that Strange might be there at 104?

BTW, Something to think about. The following teams have a need at OG:
Buccaneers, Lions, Giants, Bears, Commanders, Steelers, Falcons, Broncos.

So, is it REALLY that much of a stretch to think that Strange might get taken before the Pats next pick at 54?

I don't believe I'm right and Bill is wrong. I just have an opinion.
You flat out said you believe that Strange would have been there for the Pats pick at 54. That contradicts what Bill implied when he stated that Strange was going to be off the board before their next pick. You both can't be right.

So, what are you basing your opinion on? Did you consider the fact that there are at least 8 teams that have needs at OG and all 8 of those teams draft before 54?

Too much weight is given to the interview, which is why we have N’Keal Harry instead of a much more productive wideout on the team.

It’s not just about filling a need, which Strange certainly does at LG—the Canadian might have something to say about it—but filling out the team needs. This is a team with many holes.

None so glaring as CB1.

Strange will have a big contract as a first-rounder. Will he really be that much better than Karras would have been next season? I doubt it.

Plenty of opportunities later in the draft for guard. Plenty.
Is strange also a Canadian like Harry?

Wow ….. you really are a Belichick Brown Nose.

Nope. Sorry, chumly. You're the only one with their nose in someone's arse around here. But keep running your mouth and showing everyone how little you actually know about football. It's the only thing youre good at.

Nope. Sorry, chumly. You're the only one with their nose in someone's arse around here. But keep running your mouth and showing everyone how little you actually know about football. It's the only thing youre good at.

Only an idiot would support picking a guy in the first round who would most likely be available when you pick in the second round.

Then again, you probably still have your Jordan Richards Pom poms

I get how you feel, but we do have a lot of picks left...who knows Strange may end up being an All Pro we shall see. Don't have a problem with the player, but it is a horrible pick though because he would have been available in later rounds.

The problem with you and everyone else claiming that Strange would have been there in later rounds is that you have ZERO basis to make that statement. None at all. You have no inside information from teams to support that claim.

Next, there are at least 8 teams that draft prior to 54 who need an OG. EIGHT. That supports BB implying that Strange was going to be going off the board prior to their pick at 54. My bet is that BB knows a LOT MORE about the workings of other teams than any person on this message board.

So, what do you have other than public draft guides to support your idea that Strange would have been there later than 54? And please don't tell me McVay because they could have easily implied that they thought they could a steal in Strange at 104.

After tonight's draft I feel absolutely depressed. We needed a corner…we let our number one corners go back to back years and now we don’t got much back there. We got humiliated in the playoffs against the bills and I feel like we will see the same this upcoming season. The team truly needs a real GM. We could have picked this guy mid to late 2nd round. We have too many holes now and not enough high picks to fix our problems.

Someone help me make sense of what happened tonight.

If you're truly depressed over this, please call a counselor and get help.

Otherwise, please share the PROOF that Strange would have lasted until the mid/late 2nd round. Because there are at least 8 teams that pick from 33 to 53 that have a need for a guard.

Only an idiot would support picking a guy in the first round who would most likely be available when you pick in the second round.

Then again, you probably still have your Jordan Richards Pom poms
Only someone like yourself would think that Strange would still be there when the Pats picked despite there being 8 teams from 33 to 53 that need an OG.

But, as it typical of your antics, you can't be bothered with facts. Only YOUR OPINION means something even when it's nothing but fantasy gibberish.

Unlike YOU, I actually seek out information to help shape my opinions. I was shocked that BB took Strange, but I had O-line as a position of need to be looked at in the first. When BB implied in his press conference that Strange wasn't going to make it to 54, it showed that he had information that we didn't. One, that Teams clearly rated Strange higher than what the draftnicks did. Two, that he knew that some team between 33 and 53 was going to take Strange and moving up from 54 would cost valuable picks that he didn't want to spend on Strange. Three, that others such as Cam Jurgens, Cade Mays, and Chris Paul weren't as highly graded by the Pats and may not even be equal in grade to what the Patriots have currently for other IOL.

Unlike so many of you. I can see the parallels to what happened with Mankins. That so many people claimed he'd be there for the Pats 2nd round pick and yet, it turned out that Mankins was going to the 49ers at 33.

So, I ask myself. What's more likely? That the draftnicks and psuedo-fans know more than BB? Or that BB with his 50+ years of Football experience, 8 SB Rings and 12 SB Appearances knows a bit more about the workings of the Draft? That's being a realist. Not a Pom-Pom guy. Not a brown-noser. Not a "Kool-Aid Drinker".

Maybe you should try using facts in their context so you don't look like a clown, Joe. Or are you just that lonely that you have to pick ridiculous fights?

I wake up to this. What an embarrassment, glad I didn’t bother staying up. Wasting a first rounder on someone that would have been available in later rounds? Come on, that was a ridiculous first round pick. No LB talent left? Jesus…SMH

If you're truly depressed over this, please call a counselor and get help.

Otherwise, please share the PROOF that Strange would have lasted until the mid/late 2nd round. Because there are at least 8 teams that pick from 33 to 53 that have a need for a guard.

It’s pretty clear you’d do whatever mental gymnastics necessary to justify whoever Bill would take….

It’s okay to criticize him, doesn’t make you less of a fan.

I fell asleep on the couch before the pick.
It was the right move.
At least I got a nap.

1651222503884.gif

I'm sure he'll be a fine player, but we seem to be going back to SOB (Same Old Belichick).
I had high hopes after last year. How many scouts leave this year after being ignored?

You flat out said you believe that Strange would have been there for the Pats pick at 54. That contradicts what Bill implied when he stated that Strange was going to be off the board before their next pick. You both can't be right.

So, what are you basing your opinion on? Did you consider the fact that there are at least 8 teams that have needs at OG and all 8 of those teams draft before 54?
The consensus board had him at 83, so going from that, and McVay's incredulous reaction, I don't think it's outrageous to suggest he would've been there at 54, and we could've addressed other needs first.

As regards Bill's comments, well he's hardly known as being the most earnest when it comes to the media, so forgive me if I'm skeptical. For what it's worth, like I said I think he's a good player and will do well. I had him rated as a late second round, early third rounder based on my own opinion from watching tape. But as those who frequent the Draft Forum may know, I'll readily admit to not being the best evaluator of OL talent.

Belichick in his presser: there’s a good chance we would have taken him at 21 and he would have lasted much longer.

So either Belichick is full of it or he knows something about him the rest of us don’t.

Last edited:
Only someone like yourself would think that Strange would still be there when the Pats picked despite there being 8 teams from 33 to 53 that need an OG.

But, as it typical of your antics, you can't be bothered with facts. Only YOUR OPINION means something even when it's nothing but fantasy gibberish.

Unlike YOU, I actually seek out information to help shape my opinions. I was shocked that BB took Strange, but I had O-line as a position of need to be looked at in the first. When BB implied in his press conference that Strange wasn't going to make it to 54, it showed that he had information that we didn't. One, that Teams clearly rated Strange higher than what the draftnicks did. Two, that he knew that some team between 33 and 53 was going to take Strange and moving up from 54 would cost valuable picks that he didn't want to spend on Strange. Three, that others such as Cam Jurgens, Cade Mays, and Chris Paul weren't as highly graded by the Pats and may not even be equal in grade to what the Patriots have currently for other IOL.

Unlike so many of you. I can see the parallels to what happened with Mankins. That so many people claimed he'd be there for the Pats 2nd round pick and yet, it turned out that Mankins was going to the 49ers at 33.

So, I ask myself. What's more likely? That the draftnicks and psuedo-fans know more than BB? Or that BB with his 50+ years of Football experience, 8 SB Rings and 12 SB Appearances knows a bit more about the workings of the Draft? That's being a realist. Not a Pom-Pom guy. Not a brown-noser. Not a "Kool-Aid Drinker".

Maybe you should try using facts in their context so you don't look like a clown, Joe. Or are you just that lonely that you have to pick ridiculous fights?
So with that logic no one can criticize the Harry pick then. Since BB has more football knowledge than us we should just shut up…

The maybe 4th or 5th interior offensive linemen who could use some strength but also is 24? Not a good combination imo

Blah, what a depressing pick. Patriots had their choice of CBS and lbs, decided to pick a guard who is meh in the first when they had a perfectly capable guard already.

Terrible.

Not happy with this pick. Can't stop a nose bleed on defense to end the season but yes go with the #10 ranked G instead of someone like Nakobe Dean, Andrew Booth, Travis Jones, Logan Hall etc.... Would have even been fine with Metchie there given how WRs were going and now all those guys will be long gone by 54

OL is like the 1 position they usually have been very good at finding guys in the mid-rounds. Guess Scarnecchia must have raved about this guy.

A couple of teams may have been hot on him….had visits with Tampa, Miami, and Seattle

This pick is still indefensible!
Buffalo just scored another TD.

Why not trade out?

Or maybe take someone who can make your team better?

Strange would have been there at 54

Most likely in the third round too!

So now you are going to have to pay him more money.

Plus he is 24 years old!

Basically you are trying to replace Mason who is only 4 years older than Strange.

Every team in the NFL got better by drafting someone or trading their pick for a player.

The Patriots are a worse team now, than the one that couldn't make Buffalo punt in two games!

BB has to go! Kraft should have booted him and kept Brady, who is proving to be a much better GM than BB.

Lets not go that far.

If we draft an actual AJ Brown instead of Harry. Good chance Pats win the SB, and Brady is still here.

Harry is possibly the worst pick in NFL history.

The 2019 draft, which included Harry, was the worst draft in Patriots history because they could have gotten both Deebo and AJ Brown, the draft drove Brady out of town, and the Patriots bankrupted themselves trying to cover up this mess in 2021 (and failed).

We do not know how bad the 2022 draft is going to be, but it is not off to a good start. The being said, I know nothing about Strange, but he better be the next Login Mankins or else this will turn into another nightmare draft. They alread passed on Daxton Hill, and because of the trade down, whiffed on Jermaine Johnson, Kaiir Elam, Trent McDuffie, and Quay Walker.

I thought that this was going to a New Patriots draft, not the old, quirky, eccentric Patriots...

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back