PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Well at least we were able to move down to acquire a few extra picks if strange was the pick at 21 if we had no trade partner. So there’s that.

BB saying we probably would have taken him at 21. :notsaying:

So this guy STRANGE is Logan Mankins?

Do you think he would be gone before our 2nd round pick????

I believe STRANGE would be there in the 2nd, so that’s why I call it a dumb pick.

He is a GRUNT…. Talent goes in the 1st round & Grunts go in the third.
I could care less what you believe. And what I believe doesn't matter. What matters is what Belichick believed. Belichick has already inferred that he had information that Strange wouldn't have been there for the Pats 2nd pick.

People like yourself were CERTAIN that the Patriots REACHED on Logan Mankins. That Mankins would have been on the board for the Pats 2nd round pick. And then it came out that the 49ers were going to take Mankins at 33. Then, the Patriots didn't look so bad. And, they looked even less so when Mankins turned into the amazing player that he did.

You should brush up on the definition of insanity. You and many others are the same ones who took Belichick to task over drafting Mankins.

BTW, I gave up trying to guess where guys would go over a decade ago. Now, I just like to learn about players and trying to understand the Patriots thought process. Getting my panties in a wad the way you and thousands of others do over picks that you have ZERO control over is just a waste of time.

BTW, I've spent the entire night LAUGHING at people like you and the ridiculous takes. Because you've not learned a damn thing in the last 20 years of Belichick coaching this team.

I don't think you understand how the Patriots grade NEED. They very likely graded OG, DT, LB, and CB as having the same NEED. So then it came down to everything else about the grades. How they grade the prospects potential as well as how the prospects total grade is against the players of the same position on the team.

If they had Strange as a higher grade than the other players remaining on their board at those positions, they aren't going to ignore that.

Your statement is wildly inaccurate. Karras got a 3yr/$18M contract. The 29th pick last year got 4yr/$11.9M contract. Let's say the pool went up 20%. That's still a 4yr/14.28M Contract. That's significantly LESS than what Karras got. the 29th pick last year had a 2.17M cap hit. So, Strange will have around a 2.6M cap hit. Karras' cap hit is $5M this year.
And is a going to be a huge upgrade over karras on the field.

The 29th pick last year got 4yr/$11.9M contract. Let's say the pool went up 20%. That's still a 4yr/14.28M Contract. That's significantly LESS than what Karras got. the 29th pick last year had a 2.17M cap hit. So, Strange will have around a 2.6M cap hit. Karras' cap hit is $5M this year.
And yet the 29 pick in 2020 got paid significantly more. In terms of salary cap hit, the Titans Isaiah Wilson’s contract ranges from $2.1 million in 2020 to $3.7 million in 2023.

Strange is getting first round money at the least important position other than TE in a Josh McDaniels offense.

What is important is his very limited production at center. Without Andrews we’re screwed. Maybe Strange can be an adequate fillin.

He has one career start at center. One! And he practiced at the position during the Senior Bowl.

This 24-year-old was over drafted, a Belichick penchant, by about two rounds.

Shows how much I pay attention to the OL. Didn't realize Penning, who was drafted earlier, was also from the FCS.

Mankins was a LT in college who played against better competition. He was moved to LG. Didn’t show up on the biggest stage. He reserved his worst games against the Giants in those SBs.

Why couldn’t we do the same with Wynn and get a second round Matt Light as our LT of the future?
Mankins was still "ranked" as a late 2nd/early 3rd by all the draft nicks out there. This message board erupted in nearly identical rants about how the Patriots reached an that Mankins would have been there at 64. And every person who claimed that was WRONG! Because the 49ers were planning on taking Mankins at 33. And that's the point. Not a single person on this board has an IN with an NFL team. No one has a farqin clue where Strange was ACTUALLY rated by other teams. You only have the public draft guides.

Next, you're re-writing history. Claiming that Mankins played his worst games against the Giants is complete fiction on your part. Not to mention that in the 2007 season, the entire Pats O-line mysteriously came down with the flu either the day prior or day of the game. It's well known that Matt Light, amongst others went in and got IV Fluids. Since you need to be reminded, it was actually the DEFENSE or more specifically, Asante Samuel, who couldn't stop the likes of David Tyree. Samuel was burned TWICE by Tyree. Not to mention the interception that Samuel didn't bring in and then LAUGHED about it on the field.

Next, you're gonna claim that Wilfork didn't show up on the biggest stage since they didn't win when HE was a starter.

Someone is giving BB way too much credit. We haven’t seen BB do much without Brady. So far the last few years pick have been meh. DaBruinz is probably one of those guys that is probably defending the N’Keal 1st round pick. Some of the members on this board are just out of their minds.

No. I'm not giving anyone "too much credit". On the contrary, you and 90% of the other tools are the ones who are giving yourselves too much credit in thinking that you know MORE than Belichick.

I'm the guy laughing at the stupidity that you and so many others are posting. Because it's clear you don't know jack about football and that you just here to beat your chest about some fantasy crap..

Yes. Your evaluation is an F- grade. Thank you for sharing.
Actually, EasyWolf is on to something valid. Those highly ranked defensive players we passed on to get this Strange OG will be compared just as the lackluster production of N’Keal Harry is compared with the wideouts we could have drafted that year.

Bill is obviously not a good drafter. He is too impatient. The odds that Strange would have been available at 54 are overwhelming.

Mankins was still "ranked" as a late 2nd/early 3rd by all the draft nicks out there. This message board erupted in nearly identical rants
Not true. You are self-deluded.

If you think this message board reacted the same to Mankins as Strange you are engaging in revisionist history.

I think he's a good player and will be our starting LG from the get go, but I also think he would've been there in the second round and we should've taken a genuine first round talent with that pick, and taken Strange in the 2nd
Who are YOU to say that Strange isn't "first round talent"? Or are you basing that on the Draftnicks of the world? The Kipers, McShays, Bruglers?

BB has already implied they had knowledge that Strange wasn't going to make it to #54. So, what makes you believe you're right and BB is wrong?

Mankins was a LT in college who played against better competition. He was moved to LG. Didn’t show up on the biggest stage. He reserved his worst games against the Giants in those SBs.

Why couldn’t we do the same with Wynn and get a second round Matt Light as our LT of the future?
Because since it’s so easy we are going to get a second round Gronk instead.

I think he's a good player and will be our starting LG from the get go, but I also think he would've been there in the second round and we should've taken a genuine first round talent with that pick, and taken Strange in the 2nd
This is obviously correct. Anyone disputing this is unhinged.

If you think this message board reacted the same to Mankins as Strange you are engaging in revisionist history.
The reaction was the same but back then we had fans who appreciated the success and rooted for the team so it was tempered compared to the reaction of the current fan base which is largely patriots haters who revel in criticizing the team.

I leave the revisionist history BS to you. It's FACT that Mankins was ranked as a late 2nd/early 3rd pick. It's also fact that the Board reacted nearly identically. People claiming that BB didn't know wtf he was doing. People claiming that Mankins would have been there for the Pats 2nd round pick. That BB reached. I remember it vividly.. Because many of the same people who were b**ching then are doing it now.

BTW, everything I said about the SB that ended the chance at perfection was factual as well. Don't like it, you know where the door is..

Straw man much?
It’s not a strawman, it’s identifying your belief that you can just waive a want and get a similar player whenever you want to in a draft slot that the player overachieved

This is obviously correct. Anyone disputing this is unhinged.
Bill Belichick and his staff feel after all of their evaluations that Strange is a 1st round talent and was the best player available.
What is your evaluation that he is not based upon?

Someone is giving BB way too much credit. We haven’t seen BB do much without Brady. So far the last few years pick have been meh. DaBruinz is probably one of those guys that is probably defending the N’Keal 1st round pick. Some of the members on this board are just out of their minds.
The credit is in the results. 6 rings speak for themselves

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back