PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Cole Strange-Welcome to the Pats

Has anyone ever been elated with a guard?

The position is more anticlimactic than any other in the draft… it’s more bland than the taste of my dck.

Come game day OLine is where games are won and lost.
The news out here in LA was...subdued about their pick of Johnson.

Some Strange love:

Ashley, Lazar was the one who tweeted the day before that the Pats were interested in Quay Walker. If he was going to be our pick, it may have spooked GB to trade up ahead of us to pick him. I think most people would have been okay with Walker at 21. Now Lazar is complaining about the Strange pick on his show with Barth. These reporters piss me off.

Would have loved to see the next part of the video that they didn’t include - the Patriots reaction to NFLN / ESPN’s reaction to the pick….

It’s not really about if he plays well or not. It’s more about over reaching to get him while we could be got good talent at other position of need while still be able to draft this guy later in the draft. Or that the fact that it is easier to find good G later in the draft than find good CB. The matter of fact is that the best OL currently on the roster are all late drafted players.

Last year OL and draft position:

Wynn LT 1st
Karras LG 6th
Andrews C UDFA
Mason 4th
Brown 7th
Onwenu 6th

But yeah we needed to reach for a 3rd round G in the 1st round

How do you know the Patriots over-reached? What are YOUR credentials to make such a statement?

BTW, in 2005, Mankins was rated as a late 2n/early 3rd pick by the draftnicks. When the Pats took him at 32, people were going crazy like they're doing with Strange. After a short time, it came out that the 49ers were planning on taking Mankins at 33. Isn't it more likely that the "Draftnicks" got it wrong (like they do quite often) and that BB and the Pats had a higher grade than the "consensus" and that other teams had Strange ranked higher than the 3rd round? Especially since BB even implied that Strange wouldn't have lasted to their pick at 54?

It seems like they handed the card pretty quickly...

Patricia: We're on the clock

Belichick: Alright give it to them

Great catch. That torpedoes the conspiracy theories that BB is overriding Groh and the scouts. There was no visible controversy and it was done with Kraft in the room where he could observe the purportedly sullen overridden staff.

Can he play LT as well? Wow, the quick feet on this guy. Incredible.

Anyone remember the outrage over the Cowboys drafting Fredrick and Martin? Both picks were highly criticized.

How do you know the Patriots over-reached? What are YOUR credentials to make such a statement?

BTW, in 2005, Mankins was rated as a late 2n/early 3rd pick by the draftnicks. When the Pats took him at 32, people were going crazy like they're doing with Strange. After a short time, it came out that the 49ers were planning on taking Mankins at 33. Isn't it more likely that the "Draftnicks" got it wrong (like they do quite often) and that BB and the Pats had a higher grade than the "consensus" and that other teams had Strange ranked higher than the 3rd round? Especially since BB even implied that Strange wouldn't have lasted to their pick at 54?

I agree amidst all the hysteria, he may be a great pick, but the jury is still out if he starts 1st game then it might look like he is a winner.

Wasn't there similar consternation when the Pats picked Kyle Fuller, I know it was 2nd round, but he was from that perennial powerhouse Lenoir-Rhyne??

And by dropping down there are two more draft picks in this very deep draft...

Go watch the Rams video with them laughing and saying they were wondering if he would still be there at 105.
Even if your interpretation of the Rams as being disdainful is true, why does that tell you anything about other teams' opinions?

So the player sucks… do we have you down on record?

The Pats have ten picks left in this draft, a very deep draft. They need to plow ahead and get great prospects.

Richard Seymour was a “reach” at #3 overall, Mankins was a reach, DMC was a reach, Thuney was a reach… the list of supposed reaches that turned into All Pros is long.
Seymour was a good pick, go look on the kffl board and you will see me very happy about it. Tuney was a 3rd or 4th round pich...not really a reach. I loved the Duggar pick....this is just a head scratcher with the needs on this team...but nah, we will find quality CBS and dts later..
Lmao

To me, a guard is a reach there. He may be a great player but you can’t convince me otherwise. It was only a need because of a poor value trade of Shaq Mason in the first place.

This is an erroneous assumption on your part. The Pats had a need at LG even PRIOR to them trading Mason. This was acknowledged by many. Not sure why you think otherwise.

No he doesn't, but don't sit here and tell us he was widely seen as a great prospect when fact is he wasn't.
I had him as one of the best OG's on my board.

I didn't expect a guard/center, I didn't want a guard/center... he was one of the best guard/centers in the draft.

I rank my prospects prior to the draft, not after BB and the Patriots select them.

This kid is a stud prospect, that doesn't remove the risk involved with every rookie... but the kid is a superior athlete and as strong as King Kong.

This is an erroneous assumption on your part. The Pats had a need at LG even PRIOR to them trading Mason. This was acknowledged by many. Not sure why you think otherwise.
But Jalen Mills and Malcolm Butler are our starting CBs.

Given the range of available players -- Dax Hill, Kaiir Elam, Trent McDuffie -- it certainly is concerning that Belichick thinks none of these 3 are worth it at a position of even greater need than guard.

And before you tell me there's a huge falloff at guard, that's not the way most people see it. The only top CBs left are Booth (who has huge injury concerns) and Kyler Gordon, who is sure to go soon. If Belichick doesn't land either of these guys, then who?

The next few guards taken will be 2nd and 3rd rounders like Kinnard and Rhyan.

Appreciate the compliment anyways.

I was angry last night sure. Did I overreact? Sure. I’m still frustrated with our lack of defensive personnel. I’m not exactly sure where these pieces to improve it next will come from. Bill better knock it out with these picks in round 2-4.

I don’t see a defense that has improved in any way shape or form since being toasted by Buffalo. Explain to me where that’ll improve? I’d honestly love to figure that out, because I have no answers there. And I’m not exactly prepared to watch Josh Allen have his way with us again. Hence, the frustrated response.

The defense improved by the subtraction of Hightower, Van Noy, and Collins. Hightower was toast by the End of the season. Van Noy was free-lancing and costing the Pats big plays. Collins was Collins.. Half-hearted effort proving he only cared about a paycheck.

You're ignoring all the talent they're getting back from injury.
McMillan, Bledsoe, McGrone, Jon Jones, Perkins. There is a bunch of speed there. You're also ignoring the addition of Mack Wilson.

The return of Jones with the additions of Mitchell and Butler should give the Patriots the depth at CB to match up better against the Bills. And there are very good corners still available. Players like Woolen, Marcus Jones, Kyler Gordon, etc.

I could understand your reaction if this was the end of the draft and the Patriots hadn't addressed CB, WR, and DT. It was the 1st day of the draft. Let's relax and enjoy and watch the pieces come together. It's much better than getting all worked up over something that many people really don't have a clue on how it works. Those are the ones you just sit back and laugh at..

Ashley, Lazar was the one who tweeted the day before that the Pats were interested in Quay Walker. If he was going to be our pick, it may have spooked GB to trade up ahead of us to pick him. I think most people would have been okay with Walker at 21. Now Lazar is complaining about the Strange pick on his show with Barth. These reporters piss me off.
Yeah, in the end, they are mostly fans like us. Evan had a priceless reaction to the pick, but recently has come around to at least accepting it.

I like how McVay is suddenly the draft guru of all time.

He did not draft Beckam, Miller, Donald, Higbee and a slew of others that just won him a Super Bowl.

You wanna ahead crown dey axx? Then go ahead, but there is plenty of duds in this guys drafting.

I almost never post here, but waking up to this, felt I had to make a few observations:

1) None of us know anything about these players. We're all basing our opinions on the evaluations of media draft "experts" who are themselves wrong so often that the ability to ignore them is practically the definition of a good GM. Think of how certain most all of them were that Mac Jones was the worst of last year's quarterbacks. Fans in other cities cheered when their teams picked highly rated players like Jeff Okudah and Sam Darnold and Zach Wilson. It's the definition of ignorance to be mad about a pick before we get to see if the player can play.

2) A lot of GMs are afraid to cross draftniks because they're afraid might lose their jobs because the owner is over-sensitive to fan blowback. Only a coach/GM who's won a lot is able to blow off those considerations and make picks divorced of that dynamic. This has long been a competitive advantage of the Patriots, who have done very well with unsexy picks overall. Belichick over the years made one fan-loathed pick after another, from picking Richard Seymour over a WR to trading out of the first round multiple times (several of those deals were among his best ever, even when the value hart wasn't great, like Joe Staley for Jerod Mayo and Randy Moss). Fans hated the Mankins pick, hated Solder, hated Dugger, hated Chung, hated McCourty, and a bunch of others, while sexy picks like Maroney, Meriweather, Chad Jackson, and Harry earned raves.

3) For all that BB is at best a mediocre drafter. His big weakness is over-drafting players who surely would have been available later. He's done this throughout the dynasty, with infamous choices like Tavon Wilson, Dexter Reid, and Aaron Dobson being painful examples. People are triggered because Strange feels like this kind of pick.

4) Where BB makes up for this deficiency is in acquiring more picks and taking more chances, so he has a chance at a better hit rate. He's usually done well with these deals, the Jamie Collins-and Logan Ryan-for-Cordarelle Patterson deal an example. The trade down last night means we're going to end up comparing Strange plus two top-100-ish players to Trent McDuffie. This is a deep draft that's light at the top. If the guy can play, the deal makes sense.

5) Finally people who are complaining about Shaq Mason - it's not a one-to-one comparison. Obviously if you could pay Mason a rookie salary for five years you'd keep him. Instead he was probably gone, so they got what they could. If they guy replaces Shaq Mason and the saved money pays for someone like Devante Parker, you have to count that, too. This is basic Moneyball stuff. It's amazing that Pats fans after all this success still don't grasp these things.

6) If the guy can play, it's a good pick. If he's Dominique Easley, it's not. But thinking you know on draft night is nuts. None of us has a clue. Frankly he seems likely to be a boring but dependable pick, which is what they've always done best. I'm nervous when they pick wideouts and running backs high. Tackles and guards? Give me those all day.

I think ultimately, the pick needs to be judged by how he plays. If he plays the next ten years for the Pats (and plays like you'd a expect a first rounder to play), then where they "could" have gotten him doesn't really matter. Sure, you could gamble and say he'd still be there at 54 (and there's a good chance you'd be right). But if Houston nabbed him at 37, he goes on to be a pro-bowl guard for a decade, and it comes out AFTER that the Patriots liked him at 29 but chose not to take him because he wasn't supposed to go that high, they'd be rightly panned for that as well.

You have to trust your board, and trust the information you have about other teams and what they might do. In the end, if Strange doesn't pan out, it makes it worse that they wasted a first rounder. But if he does pan out, complaining that they could have gotten him later is strange (no pun intended) to me.

I like how McVay is suddenly the draft guru of all time.

He did not draft Beckam, Miller, Donald, Higbee and a slew of others that just won him a Super Bowl.

You wanna ahead crown dey axx? Then go ahead, but there is plenty of duds in this guys drafting.

He is also SB champ.

Man, unbelievably head scratching.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft