PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung next to earn more in 2017; Pats boost incentive bonuses to $1.7m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chung has been the player we thought we drafted for the past three seasons. He deserves every cent he can possibly make. He is "low-key" one of the more important players to the whole D. He allows them to be able to play the run and pass equally when he is on the field.

Im not sure how I feel about this in consideration to how the team is spending money. Guys like DOLA and Butler must be pissed.

I like chung as a player and appreciate his skill set and what he does for the team, but he can be inconsistent at times, and this is not just reflective of the down year he had last year (graded out 86 out of 90) at the SS position from PFF (take it for what you want), and was in the bottom 1/3 of the league in yards allowed per coverage snap, both from the slot and from his traditional safety position. He also got beat by Hooper pretty badly in the SB. The incentives should have been more like "zero touchdowns allowed" or incentives based on tackle totals.

I absolutely love Patrick Chung!

He plays very smart, tackles well, is coachable, dependable, and "iron man" durable!

I'm very excited about this team.

I am in awe at how this off-season has unfolded!

New Chung's 2017 cap hit is 6.2M . new Pats cap space is 15.6M (@ Miguel)

Still significantly more than they usually carry in summer:

___

What is interesting is the “raise“ for DB unit from 2016 to 2017.

In 2016 the 6 starting/rotational DB's costed - 13.2M (cap hit)
In 2017 the cost of top 6 DBs will be much higher - 34M (cap hit)

On the other hand DE unit is getting cheaper:

In 2016 the 4 starting/rotational DE's had some 15M cap hit . less than 5M in 2017
(Half for Ninko, half for Flowers+Ealy+Rivers/Wise)

Note that CJ's 2017 cap hit is 10M (15M in 2018-guaranteed).

Pats roster building is truly amazing.

Last edited:
Can certainly share the Chung sentiment here . but don't sleep on Ebner, Damarius Travis, possibly even Jason Thompson..

I'm not familiar with the last two so thanks for sharing this, but I'd have a hard time seeing Ebner succeed in coverage responsibilities. Maybe he's quicker and deserves more credit, but I don't think I'd feel too comfortable seeing him covering the opposition's #1 TE.

Last edited:
Wow so he was only making 800K? And now he is only going to make at max 1.7M? That seems like a steal. But his contract over all if you added up his signing bonus and everything he must have made like 2-3M per season?

So Chungs cap hit is 6.2M? I am totally confused but I don't pretend to understand the NFL salary structure in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back