PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Simms annual NFL Draft (2024) QB Rankings.

Chris Simms = Chip Gaines and Jake Busey love child

I kinda think Nix is underrated too. The scheme covers up his talents in the same way it did to Justin Herbert. He’s not a top 10 guy but if you’re not sold on the top 3, or if you wanted a specific guy and he’s gone by 3, you could trade down and take a WR1 like Odunze plus get an extra 2nd and more, and then trade up into the 20s or late teens for Nix.

Mac Jones would be #1 on that list were he coming out this year.

I don't get why every year people seem to get so wound up by Chris Simms player rankings.

Even if I don't always agree with him, he always provides extensive reasoning for why he ranks each player how he does. It's obvious that he's basing it on tape, that he has actually watched and evaluated the players. Whether you agree with the evaluation is a different matter but this whole "I'm not listening to his reasoning but I see his 1-5 and that guy's a ****ing idiot for not just going with the same consensus as everyone else" is so weird to me.

I'd much rather listen to someone like Simms explain his non consensus rankings than some ******** media "draft expert" who blatantly hasn't watched any tape just rattle off the same old opinions he's read elsewhere.

He also said Zach Wilson was going to be a superstar.
Hey they get it wrong most times Brady was going to a jag according to most.

I don't get why every year people seem to get so wound up by Chris Simms player rankings.

Even if I don't always agree with him, he always provides extensive reasoning for why he ranks each player how he does. It's obvious that he's basing it on tape, that he has actually watched and evaluated the players. Whether you agree with the evaluation is a different matter but this whole "I'm not listening to his reasoning but I see his 1-5 and that guy's a ****ing idiot for not just going with the same consensus as everyone else" is so weird to me.

I'd much rather listen to someone like Simms explain his non consensus rankings than some ******** media "draft expert" who blatantly hasn't watched any tape just rattle off the same old opinions he's read elsewhere.
Prob because there’s a 50/50 chance Maye ends up in NE.

Simms did not predict that Mahomes would challenge Brady for GOAT status.

Its no stretch to predict that Lamar Jackson could play in the NFL after Vick and RG3. What has Jackson won?

I knew that Josh Allen had the raw materials to succeed in the NFL as a franchise QB.

I think Maye made a big mistake not throwing at the combine. He's got the arm, he should have shown it off.

Maye seems to be a very polarizing prospect among the analysts. I’m thinking the Pats are most likely targeting Jayden Daniels if available. It will get really interesting if Daniels is selected at 2 and Wolfe isn’t sold on Maye.
A post yesterday suggested that Daboll loves McCarthy and desperately wants to move up to the top 3 to get him.

Could just be smoke of course, like any info now.

But if the Pats’ guy is gone, then moving to 6 would bring a nice return and still get an elite prospect at 6.

I think the biggest takeaway is he considers the top 5 QB's will all be NFL quality starters where he normally likes 1 or 2 a year at that level.
One is not Maye which is interesting but also seems a bit of a click bait opinion. To say he has 1 wow throw to 5 bad throws is quite the exaggeration.
His take on age being irrelevant was interesting.

Thanks for this (and hallelujah for 2x speed - wish they had faster). Watched everything except the Caleb portion, and it was informative. I know very little, but most of what he said seemed to line up with what I saw on tape for the different guys. The big thing was Maye. In watching the entire Clemson game, I saw almost everything CS mentioned, which is why he had dropped for me. Even compared him to Caleb where "[Caleb] did not see ghosts."

That being said, I think I'd be okay with any of them except Caleb and Penix (injury and he played with the fastest group of 3WRs in college history, imho). I probably enjoyed the video due to confirmation bias. I originally had JD, then JJ/Nix tied. Curious what he has to say on Rattler.

If you don’t feel like watching here are the primary names as he ranked them:

1. Caleb Williams
2. Jayden Daniels
3. Bo Nix
4. Michael Pennix Jr
5. JJ McCarthy
6. Drake Maye

Piping hot take with Nix at 3 and Maye at 6.
So Six QBs carry a First Round Grade plus we have to add Justin Fields in the mix that makes it 7. Who makes it to 34?? I am for Trading #3 for a possible haul getting a Second Rounder in return and a future First. IF Nix or Pennix Jr make it to 34 I can live with either we might be able to get a Top Tackle and WR on Day 1 and Two I think having a couple of Second Rounders in this Draft is key.

Last edited:
So Six QBs carry a First Round Grade plus we have to add Justin Fields to the mix that it makes 7. Who makes it to 34?? I am for Trading #3 for a possible haul getting a Second Rounder in return and future First. IF Nix or Pennix Jr make it to 34 I can live with either we might be able to get a Top Tackle and WR on Day 1 and Two I think having a couple of Second Rounders in this Draft is key.
not if we think Maye can be Josh Allen or Daniel’s be Lamar.
Then you have to take them.

I like Nix in the later first to the 2nd round. I watched a lot of Oregon football and he was a lot more impressive than some give him credit for. Just can’t shake how good his back shoulder throws were as I’ve mentioned several times. He’s definitely not a top 10 pick because he has to show more with his reads and progressions. Also played in a pass heavy conference, but if for some reason they passed on qb and went wr or ot I’d be ok with the pick at 34. Really wish We could of seen him play vs a powerhouse like Georgia instead of Liberty in the bowl game.
I am getting the feeling that he's moving up.

I watched a lot of Oregon football and he was a lot more impressive than some give him credit for.
Completely agree. Bo Nix is better than what many are acknowledging. Same with the Ducks.

Now that they and Washington have joined the Big Ten, there will be a lot of midwestern boys slapped silly next season.

Especially by the Ducks.

You my boy MrTibbs but **** Chris Simms
He has such an issue with New England in general I'm wondering if he's bashing Maye knowing he's potentially going to the Patriots.

I was banging the drum for a trade down to get Nix last month. I'm not 100% sure, but Simms makes it seem like a good idea.

One thing for certain, is the amount of debate over these top 6 guys confirms that it's such a gamble, and no one knows.

History says:
1. There's going to be 2 flat out busts
2. The guy who lands on the team with the best OL and supporting team (run game & Defense) will end up better
3. The one who wins OROY will not be the #1 pick, or likely suspect

He has such an issue with New England in general I'm wondering if he's bashing Maye knowing he's potentially going to the Patriots.
Wow well thankfully Wolf Madoo and AVP are picking the QB.

Completely agree. Bo Nix is better than what many are acknowledging. Same with the Ducks.

Now that they and Washington have joined the Big Ten, there will be a lot of midwestern boys slapped silly next season.

Especially by the Ducks.
He made due with a great core. Best center in college,wr Tony Franklin and utilized his te Terrence Ferguson well when needed. Lot of short stuff but he made the mid and longs when needed. We could do worse.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back