PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Simms annual NFL Draft (2024) QB Rankings.

He made due with a great core. Best center in college,wr Tony Franklin and utilized his te Terrence Ferguson well when needed. Lot of short stuff but he made the mid and longs when needed. We could do worse.
One thing I noted with Nix he throws off his back foot some like you know who don't know if it's because of a lack of arm strength. I am sure Pats Scouts and Coaches know the downside to that first hand. That said Pennix Jr throws lasers. :cool:

I think Maye made a big mistake not throwing at the combine. He's got the arm, he should have shown it off.
He certainly could of showed the scouts he’s not afraid of competition. Instead he played follower by emulating Williams and Daniels and joining the wuss club. “Waah, i got nothing to prove, watch the film.” More like I don’t want to f up my top 3 draft status and payday. Kudos to the guys that balled out.

Hope they change the rules where if you accept the invite you need to participate in at least 80% of the events.

The question, as it always has been, is the team's evaluation of the players available at 3. If they don't like Maye, the patriots won't draft him. It really is that simple.

The really hard part is whether we draft our man at 3, even if it isn't Maye. If not, how far are we willing to risk trading down? That depends on how many of the remaining QB's we have rating really highly, say top 6 or even 8. I think that there is a reasonable chance of having 5 QB's being picked by #8 (all but Penix). The really hard part is that we wany who the staff wants and not who is left at 8, or even 6. We played that game before and got our QB at 15 (we probably didn't really want to pay to move up for any that were available). Of course, in that draft, there was arguably only one franchise QB.

BOTTOM LINE
Who does the staff think are good prospects to be franchise QB's or even top 15 QB's? How many are there? And, the key issue, how many are still available at 3, and how many do we expect to be available at 5, 6 or 8.

And if we don't think that left at 3 are our franchise QB, then we will get what we can for the pick. IMO, we would, of course, make sure that we got a top starting OT as our first priority.
Id argue that a top 15 QB is a "franchise" QB.

FWIW, Joel Klatt has Drake Maye ranked number two and says in other years where he wasn’t up against Caleb Williams, he’d be the slam dunk #1 overall pick. Klatt is a solid evaluator himself. Goes to show you the difference of opinion and how drastic it can be between teams. Simms has him ranked 6, Klatt number 2. Cole Strange 1st rd., vs the 3rd rd. It’s a crapshoot fellas. **** what everyone says. Claim your binkies and hold on tight!

The only controversial thing he said is that he doesn't like Maye. Which is a very fair take. There's been lot's of rumors that people in the NFL aren't nearly as high on him as the media has been.

That said, if you believe his rankings. That doesn't mean Nix is all of a sudden a preemium pick. It just means one of the people we assumed is a viable top 3 pick isn't.

It seems Maye is a guy you got to project a bit how he’ll be in a few years. He probably isn’t a day 1 starter and we’ll need a vet for this year. That’s ok though, Josh Allen was similar in that he wasn’t facing top talent in university.

It seems Maye is a guy you got to project a bit how he’ll be in a few years. He probably isn’t a day 1 starter and we’ll need a vet for this year. That’s ok though, Josh Allen was similar in that he wasn’t facing top talent in university.
Pound for pound, Maye (if he sits for a year or two as he's young enough to) has the talent, with some correctable issues, to be a Franchise QB. If we pass on him at #3 if he's there, we will regret it.

Pound for pound, Maye (if he sits for a year or two as he's young enough to) has the talent, with some correctable issues, to be a Franchise QB. If we pass on him at #3 if he's there, we will regret it.
You can't always assume you can fix issues. Even if they are correctable, you have to look at the team and evaluate whether you have the people to help fix it. Nobody is coming on to this offense and getting fixed imo

It could very well be that if Maye or any of these QBs inexplicably fall (except injury ridden Penix), he could use that hate to become stronger.

Nothing about JJ's on field play suggest he's a top 5 pick. This is hilarious. I hope he gets picked that high so we can see the fallout.

You can't always assume you can fix issues. Even if they are correctable, you have to look at the team and evaluate whether you have the people to help fix it. Nobody is coming on to this offense and getting fixed imo
There's a lot wrong with this team. We're looking at a longer term fix than most fans are willing to wait.

There's a lot wrong with this team. We're looking at a longer term fix than most fans are willing to wait.
Bingo. This is why I'm not all that desperate to get a QB right now if we don't believe in them. Whoever we get should sit for a year regardless of if they are ready. It would just be a bad idea having them start in the current offense.

Bingo. This is why I'm not all that desperate to get a QB right now if we don't believe in them. Whoever we get should sit for a year regardless of if they are ready. It would just be a bad idea having them start in the current offense.
Agree 100%!

I hope the Pats maximize the #3 pick, with getting a QB high a secondary consideration .

Agree 100%!

I hope the Pats maximize the #3 pick, with getting a QB high a secondary consideration .
I still want a QB at #3 if they believe that he can be a stud. Which is why I'm hoping for Maye. He's young enough to sit for a year or even two. Now, if they can get a stud OT and still get McCarthy (who's even younger than Maye), then I'm fine with that. But there are a few teams that will move up in the 1st round to get him. So, trading back is not a guarantee they could get him. I'm not a fan of Penix Jr. or Nix. I know I'm in the minority on that probably, but it's just my humble opinion.

I think Maye made a big mistake not throwing at the combine. He's got the arm, he should have shown it off.
OK, what is the advantage to the player in throwing at the combine instead of at his pro day or private practices?

I still want a QB at #3 if they believe that he can be a stud. Which is why I'm hoping for Maye. He's young enough to sit for a year or even two. Now, if they can get a stud OT and still get McCarthy (who's even younger than Maye), then I'm fine with that. But there are a few teams that will move up in the 1st round to get him. So, trading back is not a guarantee they could get him. I'm not a fan of Penix Jr. or Nix. I know I'm in the minority on that probably, but it's just my humble opinion.
???

Almost everyone agrees that we want a QB at 3 if the staff is convinced that he would be a stud, that is a top 15 QB or better.

OK, what is the advantage to the player in throwing at the combine instead of at his pro day or private practices?
Because the combine is comparative, a dozen qb’s on the same field, same receivers, same routes. A pro day is just him. When you have a big arm, you want that comparison. I think he and his agent got lulled into thinking he had #2 all sewed up, and he doesn’t.

Because the combine is comparative, a dozen qb’s on the same field, same receivers, same routes. A pro day is just him. When you have a big arm, you want that comparison. I think he and his agent got lulled into thinking he had #2 all sewed up, and he doesn’t.
Are you saying that he needed to impress WASH in the combine so that they don't draft Maye?

I suspect that if WASH doesn't want him, he is fine playing for someone who wants him more.

These guys always want to be picked as high as possible, even 1 slot is significant financially. Plus you could slide and really cost yourself some money.

Thanks for this (and hallelujah for 2x speed - wish they had faster). Watched everything except the Caleb portion, and it was informative. I know very little, but most of what he said seemed to line up with what I saw on tape for the different guys. The big thing was Maye. In watching the entire Clemson game, I saw almost everything CS mentioned, which is why he had dropped for me. Even compared him to Caleb where "[Caleb] did not see ghosts."

That being said, I think I'd be okay with any of them except Caleb and Penix (injury and he played with the fastest group of 3WRs in college history, imho). I probably enjoyed the video due to confirmation bias. I originally had JD, then JJ/Nix tied. Curious what he has to say on Rattler.
The only thing I'd say on Penix is he also lit it up at IU with a much worse supporting cast in a tougher conference. Injuries and age are the concern to me

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back