PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Simms annual NFL Draft (2024) QB Rankings.

He also said Zach Wilson was going to be a superstar.
Zach Wilson has all the tools, physically. It's the intestinal fortitude and maturity he's lacking. (I'd trade for him and sit his butt for a year - if he really wants it, he can still probably get it).

Is there anyone in this class who can throw a ball like that kid? I doubt it.

Zach Wilson has all the tools, physically. It's the intestinal fortitude and maturity he's lacking. (I'd trade for him and sit his butt for a year - if he really wants it, he can still probably get it).

Is there anyone in this class who can throw a ball like that kid? I doubt it.
How about a trade?

Mac Jones for Zach Wilson?

Both QBs get a needed reboot on their careers.

How about a trade?

Mac Jones for Zach Wilson?

Both QBs get a needed reboot on their careers.
I’d do it. Jest probably wouldn’t. Jones doesn’t fit what they do (whatever it is).

Chris Simms annual NFL Draft (2024) QB Rankings

2024 DRAFT QB Rankings

Say what you want about how he comes off very annoying like BUT the guy is absolute money (or as close as you can get) in regards to QB rankings. I checked all the way back to the 2018 draft and he's been alarmingly accurate…….
I assume you meant „money“ in the sequence that nfl teams picked them and not necessarily the round picked OR the ACTUAL CAREER performance.

But of course I want the best of the latter for the Pats pick wherever it falls and in whichever sequence.
So Six QBs carry a First Round Grade plus we have to add Justin Fields in the mix that makes it 7. Who makes it to 34?? I am for Trading #3 for a possible haul getting a Second Rounder in return and a future First. IF Nix or Pennix Jr make it to 34 I can live with either we might be able to get a Top Tackle and WR on Day 1 and Two I think having a couple of Second Rounders in this Draft is key.
Listening to Simms makes you assume none of his top 5 make it outof the first.
— Also his description of Nix makes me think: NOT A FIT for the Pats.
— And I don’t really want Fields.
— Williams you assume is gone #1.
so IMO we are down to 3 possibles at #3. Pennix, McCarthy, & Daniels (in inverse order). I think JJ a better „ fit“ than Daniels, who is likely gone at 2 anyway; but if there a huge talent gap between in Pats evaluators minds. All good too.

So, I think you can trade down but likely not past 12 and still get one of those 3. so a „HAUL“ is pretty unlikely IMO, but any extra high pick helps. So do that if Daniels not there OR scouts say Daniels-McCarthy /Penix is a push.

There's a lot wrong with this team. We're looking at a longer term fix than most fans are willing to wait.

That depends upon the decisions they make over the next year and a half. They could make a couple of key signings and have the best defense in football this seaso, so if they can fix QB, OL, and WR they could be a playoff team in 25, and a serious contender in 26.’ They just have to be really patient and smart in their decisions.

Pound for pound, Maye (if he sits for a year or two as he's young enough to) has the talent, with some correctable issues, to be a Franchise QB. If we pass on him at #3 if he's there, we will regret it.
To me I would do just about anything to get Maye. His OC stunk, his line and receivers were not good. he has an arm that can make all the throws, all the tight window throws, he has elite arm talent.
He needs to sit half of the first year to work on some minor mechanic issues and to learn the offensive system but, man, he's the only guy on film where he makes a throw and you say Wow, over and over again.
Daniels you say wow on some runs, William's you say wow on a few scramble and off balance throws but Maye is a Wow just being in the pocket and throwing.
If Maye fails it is solely due to his inability to use his head/brain, he's an elite physical talent as a QB.
If Adam Peters loves Maye as reported it won't matter but maybe his scouts are like Simms and will talk him into Daniels and I hope reports the Pats would trade out if Daniels is gone and Maye is there are untrue.
Maye is the guy that can be a Josh Allen/Justin Herbet hybrid, got to go take a shot at getting him no matter what IMO.
I think Maye's private workout will blow away Daniels unfortunately but hoping somehow, he gets to 3.

To me I would do just about anything to get Maye. His OC stunk, his line and receivers were not good. he has an arm that can make all the throws, all the tight window throws, he has elite arm talent.
He needs to sit half of the first year to work on some minor mechanic issues and to learn the offensive system but, man, he's the only guy on film where he makes a throw and you say Wow, over and over again.
Daniels you say wow on some runs, William's you say wow on a few scramble and off balance throws but Maye is a Wow just being in the pocket and throwing.
If Maye fails it is solely due to his inability to use his head/brain, he's an elite physical talent as a QB.
If Adam Peters loves Maye as reported it won't matter but maybe his scouts are like Simms and will talk him into Daniels and I hope reports the Pats would trade out if Daniels is gone and Maye is there are untrue.
Maye is the guy that can be a Josh Allen/Justin Herbet hybrid, got to go take a shot at getting him no matter what IMO.
I think Maye's private workout will blow away Daniels unfortunately but hoping somehow, he gets to 3.
Finally! Someone that gets it about Maye!!! And, he's very mobile (he might even be faster and quicker than Josh Allen). There's nothing wrong with him that a competent QB Coach can't fix, combined with sitting and learning (even for his entire rookie season while the rest of the talent on offense is improved, as he's young enough to still be young if he doesn't start until his second year). He also had the least talented supporting cast in college (OL/RB/and only had one legit WR). Williams, Daniels, and Penix all had guys on offense that'll be first and high second round picks.

Very thorough, he will be wrong (just like everyone else) but I learned a lot.

Macro view looks like Williams or Daniels, the rest are a reach at three. Wish we lost one more game…

These guys always want to be picked as high as possible, even 1 slot is significant financially. Plus you could slide and really cost yourself some money.
This is true.

IMO, folks underestimate how important the team is to a young quarterback. Their career can be very different depending on team. So, perhaps likely long-term success is at least as important as whether you are draft 2nd, 3rd or 5th.

Nix is also my guy but I don’t like agreeing with Chris Simms

We could probably trade a 7th for Zach wilson. I love his arm and think he could flourish with AVP after some mechanics were buttoned up.

We could probably trade a 7th for Zach wilson. I love his arm and think he could flourish with AVP after some mechanics were buttoned up.
Would the Rats trade him to us in a vacuum?

A trade of our mistake for their mistake might be more palatable.

I'd much rather listen to someone like Simms explain his non consensus rankings than some ******** media "draft expert" who blatantly hasn't watched any tape just rattle off the same old opinions he's read elsewhere.

Are those my only two choices? :(

Would the Rats trade him to us in a vacuum?

A trade of our mistake for their mistake might be more palatable.
If I'm the Jets, I never make that trade. Zach Wilson has a much better arm than Mac Jones. The chances of trading Jones backfiring on the Patriots are much much less than the reverse. Neither of them, of course, will ever amount to anything.

I think Maye is the most likely choice. It sounds like Williams and Daniels are going to go 1-2.

Wilson’s issues aren’t physical, he’s just not a leader. And I’m not sure that someone like that can just decide they will be a leader, it has far more to do with the way you carry yourself, go about your work, am and interact with everyone around you. Regardless of talent pretty much all of the entitled quarterbacks that have come into the league have failed.

Wilson’s issues aren’t physical, he’s just not a leader. And I’m not sure that someone like that can just decide they will be a leader, it has far more to do with the way you carry yourself, go about your work, am and interact with everyone around you. Regardless of talent pretty much all of the entitled quarterbacks that have come into the league have failed.
Fair Point

didnt Chris Dimms said Brady wasn’t even a top 5 qb when he was still here?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back