PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Long at # 7?? Pro Football Weekly thinks so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The voice of reason emerges, if we draft Chris Long he will get paid comparably to Seymour and Warren, and much above Wilfork.. in reality it will upset the salary structure of the whole patriots org.. for that reason I see them shying away from this pick.. otoh do not know how they can pass up such a talent.

Don't worry about money for Long or Gholston, Wilfork will be the highest paid player on defense when his time comes.

Consider me the Grim Reaper. Long has a rare blend of size and athleticism. BB/Pioli will be pinching their nipples if Long is still on the board at 7.

Chris Long was a helluva college player. Epic college player. College player being the operative words. Unless a team has the gumption and patience to transition him to an elite ILB, he'll join the ranks, IMO, of frustrated fans giving him grief. Good player, for sure. But not what you hoped for.

Thanks zara...... That kinda makes my point. I think he'll be a good player, but from what I've seen, he looks like he OVER-ACHIEVED his senior year somewhat.. Which gives me pause, just to say. What's this guy's ceiling, and is he already near it? That's all.

Of the two, Gholston intriges me more. He disappears at time, but you can coach that out of someone I think. At times, he positively takes games over. I'm not sure you can coach an over-achiever to over-achieve more. He does have talent though.

Good thing I feel that way, cuz my hunch is that both Longs are gone by #7. Gholston might not be though.

Last edited:
Thanks zara...... That kinda makes my point. I think he'll be a good player, but from what I've seen, he looks like he OVER-ACHIEVED his senior year somewhat.. Which gives me pause, just to say. What's this guy's ceiling, and is he already near it? That's all.

Of the two, Gholston intriges me more. He disappears at time, but you can coach that out of someone I think. At times, he positively takes games over. I'm not sure you can coach an over-achiever to over-achieve more. He does have talent though.

Good thing I feel that way, cuz my hunch is that both Longs are gone by #7. Gholston might not be though.

Is it just me, or do Groves and Harvey look more explosive than either one of those guys? Maybe they're not as good all around players, but from a pure pass rush standpoint, I'd take both over Long or Gholston.

I'm looking for a reason to agree with you. I was a big fan of Harvey all season, and he was the original guy I wanted before testing began, and when i thought C. Long was unobtainable. The height, long arms and fluid movement skills are obvious. He has loose hips which are really incredible for a guy that big. But his 40 times of 4.84 and 4.94 are red flags for me. I'm not at all dismissing Harvey as a player. But wow is that slow for an edge rusher. Granted his 10 yard time was a good 1.59. I'm not a slave to these numbers, but they do have meaning. What they mean is that based on precedent he probably won't be an elite player in the NFL. A good solid player, but not an elite player. And an elite player is what I want. Add to that he has an inconsistent motor, like Gholston, and doesn't hold the POA particularly well, and I'm gunshy pulling the trigger that early.

Most mocks have Harvey going to the Vikings at #17. If the Pats like Harvey, it would be better to trade down first before pulling the trigger. He'll be available anywhere between 10-15. Ditto with Groves. I prefer Groves because of his speed and he has some experience playing OLB. Harvey looks like strictly a 4-3 DE to me.

Long overachieves, and will not continue that into the pros, Gholston disappears , yet can be coached out of that. Seems like a self reinforcing prediction.

Could never happen, IMHO. Long is too good a talent to fall out of the top 5. He has too many teams interested and he is surely one of the safest picks.

Could never happen, IMHO. Long is too good a talent to fall out of the top 5. He has too many teams interested and he is surely one of the safest picks.

JLong - Rated higher than CLong
Dorsey - Rated higher than CLong
Ryan - Falcons need a QB and face for the franchise
McFadden - Raiders love speed
Ellis - KC doesn't need DE
Gholston - Jets need pass rush to compete with Pats

That wasn't hard at all to get him to #7. Not saying it will play out this way, but it certainly isn't crazy talk. Assuming that someone will trade into the top 5 to draft him is not a sure thing either.

Don't worry about money for Long or Gholston, Wilfork will be the highest paid player on defense when his time comes.

The truest words I've read to date on this board. After 'when his time comes', I would add "even if it means we have to jettison Seymour to make it happen."

JLong - Rated higher than CLong
Dorsey - Rated higher than CLong
Ryan - Falcons need a QB and face for the franchise
McFadden - Raiders love speed
Ellis - KC doesn't need DE
Gholston - Jets need pass rush to compete with Pats

That wasn't hard at all to get him to #7. Not saying it will play out this way, but it certainly isn't crazy talk. Assuming that someone will trade into the top 5 to draft him is not a sure thing either.

"Ryan - Falcons need a QB and face for the franchise"...Stop right there.
It's not going to happen. He'll fall to the Ravens, and quite possibly beyond.

As for Gholston? Maybe the Raiders will suck for that but I doubt the (Pats-wannabe) Jets will. More likely the DE-desperate Bengals scoop him up, if the Ravens don't beat them to it. One thing for sure, Long will be long gone.

"Ryan - Falcons need a QB and face for the franchise"...Stop right there.
It's not going to happen. He'll fall to the Ravens, and quite possibly beyond.

As for Gholston? Maybe the Raiders will suck for that but I doubt the (Pats-wannabe) Jets will. More likely the DE-desperate Bengals scoop him up, if the Ravens don't beat them to it. One thing for sure, Long will be long gone.

It must be liberating for you to live in a world of absolute certainty. I am not so certain about some of the "facts" you are using:

The Jets aren't Pats-wannabe's...they are Pats-wannabeat's. You don't think the Jets believe that Gholston gives them a better chance to do that vs. CLong? After watching the SB? Add in the benefit of keeping Gholston from the Pats and you have just about every talking head in America putting Gholston's floor at #6.

The Bengals may be desperate, but DE isn't anywhere near the top of their shopping list. They may take Gholston because of value, but not because of need.

The Ravens would play Gholston at OLB. You really think that rushing the QB is the one thing keeping them from being a good team? Have you seen their offense?

CLong could easily fall out of the top 5. Not saying it will happen but it is far from certain that his talent "umbrella" is so overwhelming that it stops him at #5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye