PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs, Mahomes and Tyreek Hill OT

It’s not like I’m rooting for him to become a great quarterback!

Brady is probably going to retire in 3 to 4 years, hopefully with 3 to 4 more Superbowls under his belt. The chance the Pat's draft someone that's even close to his league is up in the air. I'm just looking at what the potential is for great QB play once hes gone.

Mahomes/Goff were 2018's Stafford (2011), RG3 (2012), Luck (2014), Newton (2015), Dalton (2015), Wilson (2015), Cousins (2015), Ryan (2016), Prescott (2016), Wentz (2017), etc.

Lots of decent rookie QBs on cheap deals have one awesome year in them as they have good supporting cast (from the available money).

Let's reproduce when the cast shifts, the OL rotates, the WR/TE corps rotates, the RB corps moves around, and most of all, when you load the team with your $25m salary. Let's see if you can still perform with a diminished supporting cast (it's just math).

That's what I'm looking forward to

It’s not like I’m rooting for him to become a great quarterback!

I'm rooting for good games against quality opponents. Like the Brady - Manning years.

I think Mahomes is doomed to fail next year because they won't be able to replace Tyreek Hill, and that offense is not going to succeed without stars at the skill positions.

I mean, he's going to have his numbers, but he'll suddenly be at the bottom half of the top 10, which is a big fall from MVP.

Unfortunately, the comparison to Aaron Rodgers is too apt. I think they'll always try to rely on his talents to succeed instead of ever building a team that he can just be a part of.

Plenty of QBs were good their first year like Wentz and Watson. Their fans were dreaming multiple super bowls only to see their QB fall flat on their faces in year 2.
Cmon. None of them were /remotely/ in the ballpark of 50 TDs. Wentz threw 16 his first year as a starter, Watson 26. The two of them combined aren't all that close to Mahomes.

Mahomes/Goff were 2018's Stafford (2011), RG3 (2012), Luck (2014), Newton (2015), Dalton (2015), Wilson (2015), Cousins (2015), Ryan (2016), Prescott (2016), Wentz (2017), etc.

Lots of decent rookie QBs on cheap deals have one awesome year in them as they have good supporting cast (from the available money).

Let's reproduce when the cast shifts, the OL rotates, the WR/TE corps rotates, the RB corps moves around, and most of all, when you load the team with your $25m salary. Let's see if you can still perform with a diminished supporting cast (it's just math).

Can you list the 'lots' of rookie QBs that throw 50 TDs their first season?

I think Mahomes is doomed to fail next year because they won't be able to replace Tyreek Hill, and that offense is not going to succeed without stars at the skill positions.

I mean, he's going to have his numbers, but he'll suddenly be at the bottom half of the top 10, which is a big fall from MVP.

Unfortunately, the comparison to Aaron Rodgers is too apt. I think they'll always try to rely on his talents to succeed instead of ever building a team that he can just be a part of.

Rodgers' problems are of his own making no one elses. Whether Mahomes follows that path remains to be seen.

There's a lot of goofy wishful thinking going on in this thread.

Poor MOSSLOST got crucified for his post, while Chiefs Planet had a “What’s the weirdest thing you own and like” post.
I knew that was going to be entertaining. One Nut had a portrait of the Virgin Mary flipping the bird.
Mosslost would be top 10 poster at Chiefs Planet

What do you get when a woman beater (Hunt), a child beater and a crazy laser wielding fan enter a bar?

The KC Chiefs are here!

Can you list the 'lots' of rookie QBs that throw 50 TDs their first season?

Marino (almost). And 5k yards.

BTW in the QBs I listed above Newton and Ryan were also League MVPs.

Marino (almost). And 5k yards.

BTW in the QBs I listed above Newton and Ryan were also League MVPs.
"Almost" ?????????

Lol @ the Mahomes hate. “He should try and be good without any receivers!”

Oh man, are you really living in some wonderland where you think our own roster isn't stacked with unrepentant coos hounds who wouldn't try to bang someone in the back room at their mother-in-law's funeral?

Probably be worried if it wasn't.

Haha. I’m new and don’t know much about MOSSLOST. I seen he was getting hammered was wondering what what’s up.
@mosslost is very capable of offering insightful analysis on the team and football.

Most of the time he authors OPs and takes on obscure topics that require an advanced level of humor few on this board possess.

"Almost" ?????????

?!?! Yes almost. Marino got 48 TDs.

Infact almost anyone who knows football well would rank Marino's 1984 season much higher than Mahomes' 2018 season.

Five Reasons Dan Marino's 1984 Season Was the Greatest Ever by a Quarterback

My point is that decent rookies can have an extraordinary season due to support cast. It doesn't predict long-term success. Marino never got to the SuperBowl again, let alone win it, and that was in Free Agency. Now it's much harder. Not only does support cast rotate, but when the QB goes on their market value contract, the team suddenly has less resources available to put at their disposal.

Within 5 years in 1989 when Montana was having his best season with a 112.4 passer rating, Marino was outside the top 10 in Passer Ratings at a measely 76.9, with 24 TDs and 22 Ints, chucking balls downfield hoping someone catches it from either team.

1989 NFL Passing | Pro-Football-Reference.com

1989 Y/A and Passer Rating
Rk Player Y/A Rate
1 Joe Montana*+ 9.1 112.4
2 Boomer Esiason* 7.7 92.1
3 Jim Everett 8.3 90.6
4 Warren Moon* 7.8 88.9
5 Mark Rypien* 7.9 88.1
6 Jim Kelly 8 86.2
7 Bobby Hebert 7.6 82.7
8 Don Majkowski* 7.2 82.3
9 Bernie Kosar 6.9 80.3