PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Mahomes and Kelce are big babies - what's wrong with Chiefs O?

No, I said Brady never overcame a league worst defense to win a championship… scroll up. As middling as that 2011 defense was they still weren’t statistically league worst like the Chiefs in 2019, but pretty similar in that both weren’t good.

Bottom line is that 2011 Patriot defense held the Giants to their league average points allowed, it was our offense that couldn’t score.
“Middling” is being generous.

Vince Young threw for almost 400 against them. Dan Orlovsky had a career day against them. Jason Campbell lit them up. Ditto Chad Henne. And there were others who did the same. I don’t know if they were literally league worst but they were dreadful.

The 2019 Chiefs defense was good enough to be 7th in points. I assume you mean 2018. They weren’t league worst but they were close. They also didn’t get to the SB. Brady carried the 2011 Pats to the SB. Unfortunately the defense couldn’t make a stop when it mattered most just like in 07. They also let the 32nd ranked Giants running game have a good day.

Last edited:

Vince Young threw for almost 400 against them. Dan Orlovsky had a career day against them. Jason Campbell lit them up. Ditto Chad Henne. And there were others who did the same. I don’t know if they were literally league worst but they were dreadful.

The 2019 Chiefs defense was good. I assume you mean 2018. They weren’t league worst but they were close. They also didn’t get to the SB. Brady carried the 2011 Pats to the SB. Unfortunately the defense couldn’t make a stop when it mattered most just like in 07.
im the captain now GIF by Showtime

Good for you! Everyone is “special” in their own way. What are you doing to celebrate week 5?
Its never too early to start that NY Jets pregame thread.

Captain

Its never too early to start that NY Jets pregame thread.

Captain
I agree so start it. Could be the last game the Patriots have a head coach because it’s literally impossible to find a replacement for Bill. Other teams can find coaches but we can’t.

Last edited:
I would still rather be the Chiefs than any other team for the next 10 years, when you have Mahomes you can get a couple of players in the off season and be the best team in the league in any season.

This edition of the Chiefs with Kelce is coming to the end though, has a very Patriots losing to Titans feel about this season for them.

No matter how hard they try and convince themselves they have the best player and he can win it, something is not right with this years Chiefs.

I agree so start it. Could be the last game the Patriots have a head coach because it’s literally impossible to find a replacement for Bill. Other teams can find coaches but we can’t.
Offer your services.

Trade for Malik

Yes

Haven't you heard about him complaining that he is beat up and slowing down?

I do not doubt that Kelce is feeling beat up. He’s played a lot of football over the past decade.

What’s weird, though, is that it doesn’t seem like he’s been the target of cheap shots like Gronk was. No safety is diving at Kelce’s knees when he’s focused on catching a pass or deliberately delivering a helmet to helmet hit on him. I’m sure Kelce is worn down from all the regular season and playoff games, but it could have been worse if defenders were trying to knock him out of games.

Chiefs are now locked into the third seed which means they most likely will play the loser of the Miami/Buffalo game in the wildcard round.

Chiefs are now locked into the third seed which means they most likely will play the loser of the Miami/Buffalo game in the wildcard round.
sure would be nice if MIA didn't lose their 2 best pass rushers to season ending injuries

I do not doubt that Kelce is feeling beat up. He’s played a lot of football over the past decade.

What’s weird, though, is that it doesn’t seem like he’s been the target of cheap shots like Gronk was. No safety is diving at Kelce’s knees when he’s focused on catching a pass or deliberately delivering a helmet to helmet hit on him. I’m sure Kelce is worn down from all the regular season and playoff games, but it could have been worse if defenders were trying to knock him out of games.
I always hated that.

Gronk was the most physically dominant TE that I have ever seen.

Other players could not deal with his physicality one on one so they went for the knees.

I was impressed by one of the Seahawks’ safeties, ( Earl Thomas ? ), who drilled Gronk in the open field and dropped him. I gained a lot of respect for him after that. Why can’t other players play the game right and learn to tackle properly?

How much greater would Gronk have been without having to deal with these cheap shot artists?

The 2011 Pats defense was 21st worst in points allowed but 3rd best at forced turnovers, that puts them somewhere in the middle of the league.
The 2019 Chiefs defense was good enough to be 7th in points. I assume you mean 2018. They weren’t league worst but they were close. They also didn’t get to the SB. Brady carried the 2011 Pats to the SB. Unfortunately the defense couldn’t make a stop when it mattered most just like in 07. They also let the 32nd ranked Giants running game have a good day.
The 2018 Chief's defense was 28th worst in points allowed and 8th best in forced turnovers, closer to last than the middle.

I forgot about this gem. Kermit throwing his team under the bus after they got whooped by Brady in the Super Bowl. Peyton Manning would be proud.

Brady would never of course.

that is the only way you could tackle Gronk...he was so big and physical there was no way to get him to the ground without a low hit or trying to rip his head off.

The 2011 Pats defense was 21st worst in points allowed but 3rd best at forced turnovers, that puts them somewhere in the middle of the league.
Their pass defense was terrible (31st in yards) and run defense wasn't much better. Just like the Colts defense over the years... good at getting turnovers but bad at everything else. I don't think that kind of defense helped them win all that much.

2011 Pats allowed too many big games by middling to bad QB's to count on them for get a big stop in a Super Bowl when they needed to.
The 2018 Chief's defense was 28th worst in points allowed and 8th best in forced turnovers, closer to last than the middle.
They were bad for sure. 31st in passing yards allowed, 31st in rushing yards per attempt and close to last in drives allowed for yards and time of possession. But they never made the Super Bowl. Brady's team did. He got them there.

that is the only way you could tackle Gronk...he was so big and physical there was no way to get him to the ground without a low hit or trying to rip his head off.
Earl Thomas hit Gronk clean and hard.

Not all players went for his knees, but Gronk really was like a man among boys.

Gronk absolutely took a ton of cheap shots to the knees because you couldn't' tackle him straight up.

Coates also needed a swarm of defenders to take him down.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back