PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Change draft strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmed

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We need to rebuild through draft next couple years as we lack talent almost everywhere with a lot of aging vets. We will also have much better draft capital than previous years if we keep losing at this rate.

Howver, given our draft record over the last few years, I have zero confidence in this team hitting on any skill positions which are clearly the greatest need.

So why not change approach? We are clearly very good at drafting OL and D, esprcially DL, LB and CB. So why not just draft those and focus free agency mostly on skill positions?

We are also good at catching/3rd down RBs but not a need.

You can’t just say we are gonna neglect drafting certain positions. It doesn’t work that way.

Pats are notorious for having a very small draft board. It would be interesting to know who had been on their boards and who hasn’t. I think what should be done is an internal review on their drafting and why they haven’t picked well at certain positions, how big the board is, etc.... Belichick should have more time on his hands this year as it isn’t likely we make the playoffs. The next few drafts we need to hit it out of the park, and finding our future QB is the biggest key.

We need to rebuild through draft next couple years as we lack talent almost everywhere with a lot of aging vets. We will also have much better draft capital than previous years if we keep losing at this rate.

Howver, given our draft record over the last few years, I have zero confidence in this team hitting on any skill positions which are clearly the greatest need.

So why not change approach? We are clearly very good at drafting OL and D, esprcially DL, LB and CB. So why not just draft those and focus free agency mostly on skill positions?

We are also good at catching/3rd down RBs but not a need.

Basically draft without Josh McDaniels in the room. Not a coincidence we draft fine except for WR TE since 2012-now.

You can’t just say we are gonna neglect drafting certain positions. It doesn’t work that way.

Pats are notorious for having a very small draft board. It would be interesting to know who had been on their boards and who hasn’t. I think what should be done is an internal review on their drafting and why they haven’t picked well at certain positions, how big the board is, etc.... Belichick should have more time on his hands this year as it isn’t likely we make the playoffs. The next few drafts we need to hit it out of the park, and finding our future QB is the biggest key.
Doing the same thing while expecting a different result is definition of insanity or some such. We will probably have high picks and I don't want to risk the first 3 picks on another skill dud.

I also don't expect whoever is makIng skill draft decisions to change since nobody will BE hiring Pats personnel anytime soon.

I'm surprised more people don't realize how big a deal the bolded is. Belichick says it every year we've made the AFCCG/Super Bowl; that other teams have a head start. Everyone talks up the 2009-2011 drafts. Know what they have in common? One year they missed the playoffs, and the other two were early exits. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I think it's fine. No one is 100%, especially no-one picking consistently where this team has picked then again I don't think a pick is a bust after 1 game. I know he was a 7th round/converted QB but people would have considered Edelman a "bust" because it was 4 seasons before he broke out

and now

47467567.jpg

Start by letting Caserio walk and go wherever he wants as long as it isn’t Foxborough. See what Reese or Pioli would want to come back OR see what Dorsey would want in order to come in and provide a fresh perspective in the room. What they’ve been doing is stale. Time to admit that and switch things up.

Its going pretty good.

Dont fix what aint busted.

BB had a reputation for being unable to draft TE's after both Graham and Watson were considered duds. Then all of a sudden he drafts one of the GOAT TE in Gronk and Hernandez in the same year. Whether through the draft, trade or FA I have little doubt the WR position will be a substantial upgrade next year.

BB had a reputation for being unable to draft TE's after both Graham and Watson were considered duds. Then all of a sudden he drafts one of the GOAT TE in Gronk and Hernandez in the same year. Whether through the draft, trade or FA I have little doubt the WR position will be a substantial upgrade next year.
From your lips to my ears.

A small draft board is all the more reason to make each pick count. At least the 1st and 2nd selection. A small draft board did not cause the Pats to pass on AJ Brown or DK Metcalf or pick Sony over Nick Chubb.

Imagine Metcalf and Chubb on the Pats with Brady instead of Sony and Harry.

We are seeing the results of terrible NE drafting now. The 25th ranked 2020 NE offense is one of the worst in the NFL.

Hernandez was a terrible pick.

Dude shot a guy at Florida. Grew up in a gang and was covered in Tattoos.

Just need to hit the jackot once every 15-20yrs

Whether through the draft, trade or FA I have little doubt the WR position will be a substantial upgrade next year.
I seem to recall a similar narrative being spread on this board at the end of last season.

I don't know anyone who called Graham and Watson "duds". Graham was a good receiving and fantastic blocking right end. He put up good #s in a primarily run first, defensive minded team. And in Watson's first 3 yrs w Brady he had 29, 49 36 catches. This doesn't include his rookie yr where he played 1 game. I'll take those #s in a heartbeat today

Yeah like they knew before the draft that he was going to be a murderer
Meyers would let Charles Manson on his team if he could play QB.

Aaron the Thug shot a man in college. Great background check right there.

Rebuilding happens through many avenues, not just drafting.

They just need to do better at the major skill positions ie qb/wr and te if that qualifies as a ‘skill position’ . The drafts have been otherwise up to par for our standards. Typically hit on 1-2 great picks and 2-3 decent picks. More if you count the udfa’s. The exception being 2017 where picks were traded and we didn’t pick till rd 3.

Harry was a miss, hes a great blocker and adds some catches here and there but ive given up on him becoming a legit weapon you’d expect from a 1st rounder. Stidham and the rookie te’s are still tbd , but not gonna hold my breath there either.

We have definitely lacked a Brady/Gronk /branch type pick in recent years that can contribute alot by year 2 at those areas, bb will need to hit on a few in the next year or 2 if we’re going to get back to contention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey