PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Johnson TD Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see what is wrong with Johnson's celebrations. It's quite clear that he does it with the fans in mind. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

If David Givens ran over to the sidelines after a TD and started throwing signed shirts and balls into the crowd everyone here would be kissing his ass.

JJDChE said:
If David Givens ran over to the sidelines after a TD and started throwing signed shirts and balls into the crowd everyone here would be kissing his ass.

Hard to argue with that. I don't hear many people around here complaining about Deion Branch's celebrations, e.g. dancing with the goal post during the Colts game.

Patjew said:
Hard to argue with that. I don't hear many people around here complaining about Deion Branch's celebrations, e.g. dancing with the goal post during the Colts game.

That's because he's a Patriot. Things get overlooked around here when you're a Patriot. :confused:

Patjew said:
Actually there were a few that mentioned they were bugged by that. I was one. :) But only a little. You might have missed it because it wasn't in a "Deion celebrates too much" thread, it was in a "Hobbs celebrates too much" thread.

huskeralk said:
Originally Posted by huskeralk
I never had a problem with the way TO, Moss or Chad acted on the field. If I were that good, I would be a **** too
________
So you act with class only because you're a failure?
_______

_______
Some people just have a difficult time dealing with change.
________
Yeah, some of us can tell the difference between SNL during the Belushi years and the lame GE Corporate crap Ferrell version.

_________
This isn't the days of the leather helmet.

So because a player does some celebrating he has no class? That's a load of crap and you know it. Johnson's antics are all in fun and everyone knows it, except for a few sticks in the mud of course. If celebrating is classless then like I said earlier. The Patriots are just as classless as the rest because celebrating is celebrating, whether it was planned or not.

Once again, I will repeat, and this time I will do it s-l-o-w-e-r for you.

1) I'm not p.o.'d over Chad Johnson celebrating. I'm just glad no one on the Pats spends so much time planning, choreographing and marketing himself DURING a game.

2) When Hobbs, Branch, Givens do it, it is not choreographed - it is spontaneous exhuberance. I am like T-Shirt Dynasty - I don't love it either, but it is in a different league Chad's and T.O.'s and doesn't involve props for cryin' out loud. If you can't see the difference, then that's your problem (kinda like thinking Will Ferrell is funny)

3)When the Pats score a TD - they end up celebrating it together. The O-Line and Brady storm that G.D. endzone. I've seen many Cinci games this year (I live near Balto - an AFC North city) and I do not see the Bengals celebrate TD's together. "One is the loneliest number you will ever find..."
THIS AINT MLB. TEAM SPIRIT IS AN IMPORTANT AND REAL THING IN THE NFL.

4) If you can't tell the difference between the St Louis intro and the Patriots team intro in SB 36, then you are missing the point here. This is what makes the Patriots special AND APART from the rest of the league in so many people's eyes.

5) Celebrations are great and I enjoy them. The best were the "Fun Bunch" of the Washington Redskins in the 1980's. They got in a circle and celebrated "TOGETHER". Interestingly enough, the NFL came down on them and regulated their circle out. So you completely miss the point when you say some of us are against celebrating.

Last edited:
shmessy said:

1) I'm not p.o.'d over Chad Johnson celebrating. I'm just glad no one on the Pats spends so much time planning, choreographing and marketing himself DURING a game.

2) When Hobbs, Branch, Givens do it, it is not choreographed - it is spontaneous exhuberance. I am like T-Shirt Dynasty - I don't love it either, but it is in a different league Chad's and T.O.'s and doesn't involve props for cryin' out loud. If you can't see the difference, then that's your problem (kinda like thinking Will Ferrell is funny)

3)When the Pats score a TD - they end up celebrating it together. The O-Line and Brady storm that G.D. endzone. I've seen many Cinci games this year (I live near Balto - an AFC North city) and I do not see the Bengals celebrate TD's together. "One is the loneliest number you will ever find..."
THIS AINT MLB. TEAM SPIRIT IS AN IMPORTANT AND REAL THING IN THE NFL.

4) If you can't tell the difference between the St Louis intro and the Patriots team intro in SB 36, then you are missing the point here. This is what makes the Patriots special AND APART from the rest of the league in so many people's eyes.

5) Celebrations are great and I enjoy them. The best were the "Fun Bunch" of the Washington Redskins in the 1980's. They got in a circle and celebrated "TOGETHER". Interestingly enough, the NFL came down on them and regulated their circle out. So you completely miss the point when you say some of us are against celebrating.

I agree with all of your points. You got it, captured it, 'splained it well.

Fanfrom1960 said:
What, do people give him a pass on this endzone jerking-whatever because he's not a bad guy/teammate like T.O.? I think his stuff is just as childish and boorish as T.O.'s. Come down on that stuff, Tagliabue, will you? When I see a guy scoring a TD and flipping the ball to the ref like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders...I respect that, and the player a lot more too.

So, let me get this straight. You have a problem with Chad Johnson being nice and giving out presents from the bench area after he scored his TD and had given the ball to the referee?

Sounds to me like you make your own diamonds from coal.... <ref: Ferris Bueller's Day Off>

Drewwho said:
Could not agree more. Total class act!

Too bad Manning can't take a page out of Harrison's book....

Cantabrigian said:
With all that time being spent thinking up TD celebrations and practising them, he could have been working on his technique and focusing on making himself a better playing. Or volunteering at the local children's hospital.

How do you know that Johnson DOESN'T do those things? Chad Johsnon is one of the top WRs in the league.

Seems to me that too many people make snap judgements about Chad Johnson and other players when they don't know JACK about the player.

shmessy said:
And the QB has to throw it, the RB has to sell the play-action, the TE has to block it, the LT, LG, C, RG, RT have to block it.

The coaching staff has to call it.

This is why the Patriots are different than some of these other teams.

JR4 is right. He obviously understands this and perhaps some others here do not.

but he still could drop it

DaBruinz said:
So, let me get this straight. You have a problem with Chad Johnson being nice and giving out presents from the bench area after he scored his TD and had given the ball to the referee?

Sounds to me like you make your own diamonds from coal.... <ref: Ferris Bueller's Day Off>

Put it this way: pro football, to me, is the most exciting game there is, and I don't need/want any prepared circus or side show to go along with it. Reasonable spontaneous stuff, like others have said, is OK with me. As for the gifts, how about the people that didn't get any? If you can't give something to all, don't do anything, I would say. I much prefer T.J. Houshmandzadeh over Johnson anyway. Better athlete, infinitely more class. (anything/0 = infinity).

I actually thought Moss' fake moon last year was comical, or maybe it was the overreaction Joe Buck made to it that cracked me up.

shmessy said:

2) When Hobbs, Branch, Givens do it, it is not choreographed - it is spontaneous exhuberance.
Really? So Branch's one-man Kid 'N Play (circa 1989) tribute dance with the goal post during the Colts game was "spontaneous"? Not chroeographed beforehand at all? Maybe he should have been a professional dancer instead of WR.

But hey, I liked it. But I don't mind Johnson's act, either. They're not as different as many here would like to think.

DaBruinz said:
How do you know that Johnson DOESN'T do those things? Chad Johsnon is one of the top WRs in the league.

Seems to me that too many people make snap judgements about Chad Johnson and other players when they don't know JACK about the player.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that post.

The reason why I started this thread is because I saw Chad's "celebration" and thought it was pretty funny. The guy is one of the leagues best wide receivers and if he can have some fun while he's doing it...more power to him.

We all know that the Patriots are businesslike in their approach to things and that's all well and good. I wouldn't want it any other way since that approach has been very successful.

But for the people here who can't find any enjoyment of watching a guy out there having a good time while being one of the top WRs, then that's too bad. As fans, you don't have to follow the businesslike, No Fun League approach. It's okay to laugh at this game every once in a while.

Fanfrom1960 said:
As for the gifts, how about the people that didn't get any? If you can't give something to all, don't do anything, I would say.
Bah humbug.

AStack75 said:
I was thinking the same thing when I read that post.

The reason why I started this thread is because I saw Chad's "celebration" and thought it was pretty funny. The guy is one of the leagues best wide receivers and if he can have some fun while he's doing it...more power to him.

We all know that the Patriots are businesslike in their approach to things and that's all well and good. I wouldn't want it any other way since that approach has been very successful.

But for the people here who can't find any enjoyment of watching a guy out there having a good time while being one of the top WRs, then that's too bad. As fans, you don't have to follow the businesslike, No Fun League approach. It's okay to laugh at this game every once in a while.

Okay. Let's do this even s--l--o--w--e--r. Here's the cut and paste from my previous post:

_______________-

Did that one take?

shmessy said:
Okay. Let's do this even s--l--o--w--e--r. Here's the cut and paste from my previous post:
You assumed that my post was directed at you specifically?

I don't really have a problem with CJ's celebrations as long as they don't become insulting to the other team ala T.O. or Randy Moss and just think they are all in jest. He also is in my opinion one of the very best WR's in the game today and I would love him in a Pats uni.

shmessy said:

_______________-

Did that one take?

Exactly how long did it take for you to type that? I need to know just how s--l--o--w you are talking.

CJ is good for the Bengals and good for the NFL. My 2 favorite non-Patriot players are definately Chad Johnson and Clinton Portis.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I would say. I much prefer T.J. Houshmandzadeh over Johnson anyway. Better athlete, infinitely more class. (anything/0 = infinity).

Now see....that's just crazy talk. "I feel like I've been taking crazy pills!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back