PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Johnson TD Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving away free (expensive) stuff to the fans after walking back to the bench is OK in my book.

Egotisical ? Maybe. But I've seen hundreds worse displays of ego in the NFL.

R

I enjoy watching his celebrations. I'm also glad we don't do that.

JR4 said:
Absolutely agree! Marvin is one classsy guy.

Could not agree more. Total class act!

Zuma said:
I enjoy watching his celebrations. I'm also glad we don't do that.

That's probably the best way to look at it.

Its all about entertainment. There's no way you can tell me Chad Johnson isn't entertaining. If he celebrates like that when his team is down big then its one thing, but early in the game on a TD that put his team up (in a game they honestly should have won).....I see nothing wrong with it.

And by the way....don't try and put it like our players don't celebrate. Remember all the TO mocking our guys did during the last Super Bowl?

Last edited:
RPCity said:
That's probably the best way to look at it.

Its all about entertainment. There's no way you can tell me Chad Johnson isn't entertaining. If he celebrates like that when his team is down big then its one thing, but early in the game on a TD that put his team up (in a game they honestly should have won).....I see nothing wrong with it.

And by the way....don't try and put it like our players don't celebrate. Remember all the TO mocking our guys did during the last Super Bowl?

I enjoy watching Chad Johnson do his thing. And as Zuma said, at the same time, I'm glad the Patriots don't do it.

The Patriots DO celebrate. But if you notice, they do it as a group.

Some of the individual intros at the SB's are entertaining too. But the Pats revolutionized (at least for some) the symbolism of team before SB 36. No dance or schtick ever sent chills down millions of spines as what the Pats did with their simple and strong message of group dynamics.

I repeat. I love our team. And I love what the Patriots represent.

Last edited:
This brings up an interesting question. You all claim our Patriots are all team. Explain every time Hobbs makes so much as a tackle, he jumps up and celebrates like he won the super bowl? No teammates around, just him. Is that acceptable? I guarantee he's had more tackles than Johnson has had tds.

Big difference between Ellis and Chad. I don't think the celebrations are similar...at all.

Zuma said:
Big difference between Ellis and Chad. I don't think the celebrations are similar...at all.

You're right...Hobbs will do the dance after making a tackle after a 15 yard completion. Johnson only does it after scoring 6 points.

huskeralk said:
This brings up an interesting question. You all claim our Patriots are all team. Explain every time Hobbs makes so much as a tackle, he jumps up and celebrates like he won the super bowl? No teammates around, just him. Is that acceptable? I guarantee he's had more tackles than Johnson has had tds.

One is spontaneous exhuberance, the other is calculated, coordinated, planned and choreographed.

Like the difference between pre-medidated and not pre-meditated. You can put Branch and Givens in the same category.

Hobbs, himself, was asked about this last week and sheepishly said he had no idea he was doing it, it was momentary excitement and that it was a surprise when he saw video of himself doing it.

I guarantee you Chad Johnson, T.O., Joe Horn aren't similarly clueless.

Last edited:
Yes...I think Ellis is excited and it's a spur of the moment kind of thing. Chad has his thing planned beforehand...entertainment.

shmessy said:
One is spontaneous exhuberance, the other is calculated, coordinated, planned and choreographed.

Like the difference between pre-medidated and not pre-meditated. You can put Branch and Givens in the same category.

Hobbs, himself, was asked about this last week and sheepishly said he had no idea he was doing it, it was momentary excitement and that it was a surprise when he saw video of himself doing it.

Well, either way, I don't care in the least that either player celebrates. This isn't 1965. People aren't just sticks in the mud, they want to see some enthusiasm. I was just pointing out that even the almighty Patriots players are guilty of individual celebration whether it's intentional or not.

shmessy said:

Right On shmessy! Just can't believe some don't see this but ...hey that's
why we're all different.

AStack75 said:
That's one thing about Chad Johnson... He's an egotistical WR just like TO, but he doesn't appear to be a cancer to his team like TO.

Just wait...

I never had a problem with the way TO, Moss or Chad acted on the field. If I were that good, I would be a **** too and chances are so would you. What seperates Chad from TO and Moss is how he carries himself off the field. Some people just have a difficult time dealing with change. This isn't the days of the leather helmet.

With all that time being spent thinking up TD celebrations and practising them, he could have been working on his technique and focusing on making himself a better playing. Or volunteering at the local children's hospital.

I think he is a great WR.

I think his TD celebarations are occasionally funny, always harmless, and usually receive far too much publicity.

I think to date he has been fine as a player for the Bengals but if I were a Bengal's fan I'd be very nervous if my star WR who is only 2 years into a LT deal has talked publicly this year about how he supports what TO is doing and is considering doing it himself a year from now. I'd be even more concerned when I realize that Drew Rosenhaus also represents Chad.

Chad sells tickets and has been a factor in helping an abysmal ownership look at the team as more then a tax write-off - which helps explain why we are competing with them for third seed. His antics may tempt other egos to try and top him with their own celebrations, but that's what coaches and veteran leadership are for. Right now Chad is harmless in the sense that his Head Coach acts as a brake - remember the checklist change earlier this year asking if number 85 had done all he could to help his teammates be better?

He is good for his team and good for the League, as long as it doesn't degenerate into a TO/Moss situation, thank the Browns' DBs last season for teaching him some humility and perspective and appreciate that his coach cleverly diverted some of his energy back into the team. Regarding his volunteer work, there were a number of threads on how much money Richard Seymour should donate to charity over the summer and to start the season, I'm not keen on people telling me or anyone else what to do with their money and private time. Guess I'm just a radical thinker. :cool3:

huskeralk said:

He used to do that until the veterans of the team pulled him aside and told him to knock it off.

huskeralk said:
I never had a problem with the way TO, Moss or Chad acted on the field. If I were that good, I would be a **** too
________
So you act with class only because you're a failure?
_______

_______
Some people just have a difficult time dealing with change.
________
Yeah, some of us can tell the difference between SNL during the Belushi years and the lame GE Corporate crap Ferrell version.

_________
This isn't the days of the leather helmet.

Bunch o' ****ies

Last edited:
Originally Posted by huskeralk
I never had a problem with the way TO, Moss or Chad acted on the field. If I were that good, I would be a **** too
________
So you act with class only because you're a failure?
_______

_______
Some people just have a difficult time dealing with change.
________
Yeah, some of us can tell the difference between SNL during the Belushi years and the lame GE Corporate crap Ferrell version.

_________
This isn't the days of the leather helmet.

shmessy said:
Bunch o' ****ies

So because a player does some celebrating he has no class? That's a load of crap and you know it. Johnson's antics are all in fun and everyone knows it, except for a few sticks in the mud of course. If celebrating is classless then like I said earlier. The Patriots are just as classless as the rest because celebrating is celebrating, whether it was planned or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back