PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Central Thread For Mourning/Canonizing Jimmy Garoppolo

To those of you who would have preferred that the pats have kept Jimmy G and trade Brady this offseason, please turn in your patriots fan card now.

Last edited:
Agre 100%. First Orr, then Gretzky, then Jordan, and now Jimmy Garrapolo has been traded.
The humanity

No one even thought of the children.

You are killing it tonight. Watch out for Patriots Spy poster though. He may put you on ignore.

LMAO!

When Brady retires after next year or the year after and NE has nada at the QB position, we'll revisit your statement.

I continue to be amazed at the people who cover their eyes and plug their ears and pretend Brady will be playing until the end of time.

Yes, JG will almost certainly never be as good as Brady. But "not as good as Brady but playing" is an infinitely better on-the-field player than "Was the GOAT but is retired."
And how do you know we won't draft a suitable successor? You're just going to conveniently reject that possibility

JG is a stud but we'll see how it turns out on our end. It is possible for Jimmy to have a great career and for us to draft another good/great QB.

Trolls and chicken littles. If TB12 doesn't win it all this year and falls off next year and we don't acquire a good successor while Garoppolo wins a Super Bowl or two, let's talk.
Disagreed, for multiple reasons. Biggest is, it's not just "Trolls and chicken littles". As the rest of your post concedes, there are very real risks to be considered, regardless of how Garoppolo does with whatever supporting cast he's given. Some of us evaluate those risks differently, as we are are entitled to do. Whether or not TB wins it all this year there's an increasingly good chance he'll hang up his cleats, voluntarily or involuntarily, before BB can acquire and groom his successor. You may not be concerned about that risk, but I am. Please don't call me a troll just because I see it differently than you.

His successor will be acquired next year. Book it.

gSJwjAL.jpg

Disagreed, for multiple reasons. Biggest is, it's not just "Trolls and chicken littles". As the rest of your post concedes, there are very real risks to be considered, regardless of how Garoppolo does with whatever supporting cast he's given. Some of us evaluate those risks differently, as we are are entitled to do. Whether or not TB wins it all this year there's an increasingly good chance he'll hang up his cleats, voluntarily or involuntarily, before BB can acquire and groom his successor. You may not be concerned about that risk, but I am. Please don't call me a troll just because I see it differently than you.
I did not call you a troll. My post may have sounded too generalized which I regret, in so far as I regret a post.

I'm primarily talking about the people doom and glooming about how horrible this is already. I myself acknowledge Garoppolo looks like a stud. It may turn out to be a wrong decision in retrospect but for me it would take quite a bit of success for JG to lament it coupled with a free fall or very soon retirement from Brady (without another SB). If we draft a good QB then I won't consider it a big blunder.

I should also note that I've largely become disillusioned with the NFL in general for a number of reasons. I don't really see myself watching attentively after Brady/Belichick. So from my perspective I guess I'm not as invested in 5 or even 10 years from now. That means I'd probably be satisfied with one or two more Super Bowls for those two. I assume I'll just be a casual viewer at most once the Brady era ends.

Last edited:
To those of you who would have preferred the pats keep Jimmy G and Brady get traded this offseason, please turn in your patriots fan card.
Patriots fan card?

don't you mean Brady fan card?

team is bigger than any one player....including the QB

and Jimmy G looks like a franchise QB......and he is 26

If JG loses his next 10 games he will have the same record as Rodgers in his first 16 games.:D

And JG clearly went into a worse situation for 4 of his wins. :eek:
I’m not sure how that impacts athletic ability and arm strength.

Patriots fan card?

don't you mean Brady fan card?

team is bigger than any one player....including the QB

and Jimmy G looks like a franchise QB......and he is 26

looking like a franchise QB after 6-7 games and actually being a franchise QB that wins you 5 super bowls are two different things. If Jimmy G wins multiple super bowls in SF, it's one thing, but to have regrets over trading him while your franchise QB is having an MVP season and could very well lead his team to a 6th super bowl is asinine.

looking like a franchise QB after 6-7 games and actually being a franchise QB that wins you 5 super bowls are two different things. If Jimmy G wins multiple super bowls in SF, it's one thing, but to have regrets over trading him while your franchise QB is having an MVP season and could very well lead his team to a 6th super bowl is asinine.
fair enough.....small sample size

it will be fascinating to compare how brady vs jimmy g looks next year.....a full season

what if (and this is a huge if), jimmy g puts up better numbers next year

what are their respective numbers for the last 4 games....with jimmy g having worse talent and coaching?

dak prescott looked like a franchise QB last year, derek carr looked like a franchise QB last year...carson wentz/deshaun watson looked like franchise QB's this year...

Jimmy looks good, no doubt about it. But people are acting as if he already is better than brady because he has looked good in 5 games. clearly he is a starting QB in this league. but is he kirk cousins/derek carr or is he brady?

and do you trade Tom brady, the goat who is still playing at a high level and stick with a guy who could be kirk cousins/Derek carr? while those guys are good not sure you trade a possible super-bowl for that

like i said.....its a valid point.....small sample.....might be flash in the pan

the comparison next year will be fascinating.....and fun

dak prescott looked like a franchise QB last year, derek carr looked like a franchise QB last year...carson wentz/deshaun watson looked like franchise QB's this year...

Jimmy looks good, no doubt about it. But people are acting as if he already is better than brady because he has looked good in 5 games. clearly he is a starting QB in this league. but is he kirk cousins/derek carr or is he brady?

and do you trade Tom brady, the goat who is still playing at a high level and stick with a guy who could be kirk cousins/Derek carr? while those guys are good not sure you trade a possible super-bowl for that

Teams will have more film on Jimmy G next year...so it remains to be seen how he can adjust to those teams adjusting to him.

Maybe but I doubt it. I’ll tell you what will happen. Brady plays next year with the q.b drafted, possibly one more. Then he retires after winning his 7th ring. The new guy plays in 2020 winning like ten games and begins a new era. I can’t see into that but this is what I do see. They trained jimmy, he wins with garbage, new guy trains with Brady and B.B. and then he wins. No mystery
That's the best case scenario. QB of the future (QBotf) is drafted this year. Brady ignores Mrs Brady, remains injury free and plays for another couple of years, developing the QBotf while Hoyer provides insurance against injury. And the machine keeps on rolling.

Worst case is a little bleaker. We know that it takes longer to heal as you get older, although the specific details depend on the individual. Brady is already getting threads on this board questioning if his play is falling off, with suggestions that his Achilles might be a contributing factor. Mrs Brady has already hinted she'd like him to hang up his cleats sooner rather than later. So there are a lot of scenarios resulting in TB12 retiring as soon as the end of this season, in which case we are left with Hoyer and some raw rookie(s) as QBotf.

Most probable case to me seems somewhere between those two. But you've got to plan for all possible contingencies. Personally, I know this will get knee-jerk reactions from a lot of folks on this board, but I'm not entirely sure that if they franchised Garoppolo he doesn't beat Brady out in an open QB competition next training camp.

I wouldn't put prescott in that list. Jimmy G can actually throw a football. I think we will know more next season when he plays a full season. Derek Carr will be back. He had a bad year.

I wouldn't put prescott in that list. Jimmy G can actually throw a football. I think we will know more next season when he plays a full season. Derek Carr will be back. He had a bad year.

prescott looked pretty good last year....so good that it effectively ended tony romos career.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back