PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassius Marsh appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
One penalty, but the blocked FG was awesome, and IIRC the dude had some tackles for losses and got penetration. And he plays HARD!

Plus his name sounds like a Roman centurion. LOL

Edit: ProJo article on Marsh...

Patriots Journal: Marsh pleasing more than just the crowd

Another in the long line of in-season Patriots acquisitions that make the opposition shake their heads and ask:

Last edited:
As much as I liked this FG block the negatives far outweighed the positives yesterday with his lousy containment on the edge. And it has not been the first time it happens either.

As much as I liked this FG block the negatives far outweighed the positives yesterday with his lousy containment on the edge. And it has not been the first time it happens either.

Still, MP must like what he sees out of Marsh overall. Marsh's defensive snap percentages have generally been increasing.

Marsh is a work in progress. He absolutely needs to avoid over running upfield and to set the freakin' edge much more consistently.
There was a time here when early "Stinkovich" was criticized for this.
It's early with him. Let's see if he's coachable and has the ability,

I like his motor and his aggressiveness. Needs to use it within his specified role though and not get overexcited and shoot his load on every snap...

Marsh is a work in progress. He absolutely needs to avoid over running upfield and to set the freakin' edge much more consistently.
There was a time here when early "Stinkovich" was criticized for this.
It's early with him. Let's see if he's coachable and has the ability,

Yep, I remember the thread proclaiming Ninko as the worst starter in the NFL.

<script type="text/javascript" src="//widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F201710220nwe.htm&div=div_rush_tackles"></script>
We dont know if his assignment was to play contain. Its not far fetched that the game plan was to rush Ryan, and not worry about lanes and contain.
I just found this on ProFootballReference and find it VERY interesting. (assuming I add it correctly)

wg.fcgi

<script type="text/javascript" src="//widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fboxscores%2F201710220nwe.htm&div=div_rush_tackles"></script>
I didnt' notice Marsh good or bad in the run game, which is hard to do frankly when you are there.

According to this chart on the one hand, he made zero tackles in the run game, and it appears he may have been run at a lot (not knowing which were his snaps)
There were 7 of 23 runs outside RG (marsh was on the Left defensive side) and 5 of the plays were tackles by DBs.
Interesting there were only 3 runs outside LG, so it appears when running outside they attacked our defensive left, and Marsh wasnt making tackles. When running inside it was the opposite with 8 at the LG and 1 at the RG and 5 over the C.

Still, MP must like what he sees out of Marsh overall. Marsh's defensive snap percentages have generally been increasing.

Lets see what happens after McClellin is back. Dont get me wrong.. I like Marsh and I think there is a place for him in most packages..

We dont know if his assignment was to play contain. Its not far fetched that the game plan was to rush Ryan, and not worry about lanes and contain.
I just found this on ProFootballReference and find it VERY interesting. (assuming I add it correctly)

wg.fcgi

According to this chart on the one hand, he made zero tackles in the run game, and it appears he may have been run at a lot (not knowing which were his snaps)
There were 7 of 23 runs outside RG (marsh was on the Left defensive side) and 5 of the plays were tackles by DBs.
Interesting there were only 3 runs outside LG, so it appears when running outside they attacked our defensive left, and Marsh wasnt making tackles. When running inside it was the opposite with 8 at the LG and 1 at the RG and 5 over the C.

I am going by what Chatham has been saying. If anyone he should have a good handle on what the various jobs of players are.

In order to have a cutoff for the question, let's go post-2007:

When has BB taken a "don't worry about lanes and contain" approach?

In order to have a cutoff for the question, let's go post-2007:

When has BB taken a "don't worry about lanes and contain" approach?
There are always pass rush calls that say rush the QB and dont worry about lanes.
I mean we basically do everything, just in varying degrees, so while keeping outside leverage when you rush is an important concept its surely not utilized on every pass rush against every team. There are absolutely downs when they are cut loose. Certainly not 1st and 10, but 4th and 7? Yeah that happens.

I am going by what Chatham has been saying. If anyone he should have a good handle on what the various jobs of players are.
Can you link me to Chatham saying marsh screwed up?

Can you link me to Chatham saying marsh screwed up?

The most recent ones..

There is an entire small section in his Jets game review podcast where he talks in more detail about exactly the same issue with Marsh. Did you mean that ? I can try to find the approximate time when he talks about it..

And since we are somewhat in the neighborhood this is his take on why Ealy was released and we traded for Marsh:

The most recent ones..

There is an entire small section in his Jets game review podcast where he talks in more detail about exactly the same issue with Marsh. Did you mean that ? I can try to find the approximate time when he talks about it..

Ok and I get that but it's really a matter of rushing under control more than rushing while having to play contain. Major difference.

I don't see Chatham saying stay outside and contain I see him saying know where the QB is.

Ok and I get that but it's really a matter of rushing under control more than rushing while having to play contain. Major difference.

I don't see Chatham saying stay outside and contain I see him saying know where the QB is.

Well, it boils down to Marsh often just going past QB level way too high up which opens a lane for the QB to get out. Whatever you want to call that he needs to work on not drifting too far up.

There are always pass rush calls that say rush the QB and dont worry about lanes.
I mean we basically do everything, just in varying degrees, so while keeping outside leverage when you rush is an important concept its surely not utilized on every pass rush against every team. There are absolutely downs when they are cut loose. Certainly not 1st and 10, but 4th and 7? Yeah that happens.

BB doesn't have his players just run with abandon, and he sure as hell doesn't like it when his players ignore lane and contain responsibilities. Semantics doesn't change that reality.

BB doesn't have his players just run with abandon, and he sure as hell doesn't like it when his players ignore lane and contain responsibilities. Semantics doesn't change that reality.
But he certainly doesn't pass rush only in lanes at all times. You need look no further than the times you see a de make an inside pass rush move. Ignoring reality doesn't change reality either
You seem to be mixing up contain in the running game with contain vs a mobile QB vs pass rushing.
If you think our DEs are only allowed to pass rush with outside leverage 100% of the time we should just find a different topic.

But he certainly doesn't pass rush only in lanes at all times. You need look no further than the times you see a de make an inside pass rush move. Ignoring reality doesn't change reality either
You seem to be mixing up contain in the running game with contain vs a mobile QB vs pass rushing.
If you think our DEs are only allowed to pass rush with outside leverage 100% of the time we should just find a different topic.

I'm not mixing up anything. You're conflating a decision about which shoulder to take with the idea of ignoring lanes, when they are not necessarily mutually inclusive.

We can go back and read/listen to Patriots defender after Patriots defender, and reporter after reporter, about this subject (Rodney's always been a great source about this subject). I just don't care enough to do so. You know what was meant, and what was meant was correct, as history has showed us again and again. You are now free to play all the word games you want, and to pretend that a relative handful of possible exception plays somehow disprove the overall point of almost 2 decades of coaching style, because I'm done with this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft