PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

Oh no, the denials are here.

Julius Peppers-DL-Panthers Mar. 16 - 7:05 pm et

Panthers GM Marty Hurney denies an NFL.com report that he's been in talks with the Patriots about a Julius Peppers trade.

"By the rules of the CBA, we cannot and have not had any conversations with other teams about Julius," Hurney said. "Julius and his agent, Carl Carey, are within their rights to talk to other teams about a potential contract. However, at this point, we are not aware of any such conversations." It remains quite possible (and likely) that Peppers and Carey have spoken with New England.
Source: Charlotte Observer

Panthers: No Peppers deal, or talks
Panthers general manager Marty Hurney issued a statement through team spokesman Charlie Dayton tonight denying an NFL.com report that the team was working on a trade to send franchise free agent Julius Peppers to the New England Patriots for a second-round draft pick.

"By the rules of the CBA, we cannot and have not had any conversations with other teams about Julius," said Hurney. "Under the non-exclusive franchise tag, Julius and his agent, Carl Carey, are within their rights to talk to other teams about a potential contract. However, at this point, we are not aware of any such conversations."

Carey could not be reached for comment.

-- Charles Chandler

Inside the Panthers: Panthers: No Peppers deal, or talks

That's what they'd have to say to cover their ass.

Wow. Now that's what I call a non-denial denial.

thx for that awesome info.
so, basically you'd have 5 years of minor salaries and 2 big bonuses?
I'm a little confused about a guaranteed option bonus, though.
is this essentially just a bonus that you promise to pay a year from now so it doesn't count against this year?

I've never understood this myself, but it has been done many times before. The Haynesworth deal just brings it to a new level.

In the past (Not the Haynesworth deal but other contracts) media reports have characterized it as an option (We pay $2M, we add these years to your contract) together with another clause that says "If you don't exercise the option, you have to pay me $2M".

I don't know why the league allows this, but the precedent seems to have been set long ago.

Maybe the media reports about how the guaranteed option is implemented aren't quite accurate. I wish I remembered where I saw this description before.

I've never understood this myself, but it has been done many times before. The Haynesworth deal just brings it to a new level.

In the past (Not the Haynesworth deal but other contracts) media reports have characterized it as an option (We pay $2M, we add these years to your contract) together with another clause that says "If you don't exercise the option, you have to pay me $2M".

I don't know why the league allows this, but the precedent seems to have been set long ago.

Maybe the media reports about how the guaranteed option is implemented aren't quite accurate. I wish I remembered where I saw this description before.

if there's guaranteed money involved, or even an initial bonus, wouldn't carolina be on the hook for that if they sign him before the actual trade?

ps

I love that denial.
gotta upgrade this one to lock!!!

waitaminute, I think I see --- there's no guaranteed money, just equal amounts of money covering all possible situations.
jesus, that's devious.
I still want to know how they get past the signing bonus hurdle.

Last edited:

the money....for Peppers for others needed and money to fit in the cap...THOSE ALL are the hurdles....How mauch will Peppers accept??? reasonable??? How will he get paid under the cap?? HOW will that puzzle fit??? What about other contracts?? Wilfork, Seymour, Brady??? One pays Peppers and...what happens to the others??

Couldn't they sign a deal with Wilfork that basically says he plays this year for the same cap number he would have been paid all along under his old contract, and next year the pay goes up?

I remember hearing in the past that the Pats tried to operate this way.

Patriots appear primed to make a deal with Panthers for Peppers

Here's some more info from NFL.com

This, in part, could help answer the lingering question of why the Patriots were willing to take only a second-round pick for Cassel and Vrabel rather than possibly go for a higher choice as part of a three-way deal involving the Denver Broncos, who were ready to give up Jay Cutler for Cassel. Without an additional second-round pick, the Patriots might not be able to pursue Peppers.

Someone reported a few pages back that if a franchise player is traded, the new team must have the full cap space money available for the franchise, even if the contract is restructured, or even if it is a sign and trade.

If that's true, there's no way this can happen, is there? Where are we getting $17 million?

The only other alternative I could see would be for the Panthers to withdraw the franchise, sign Peppers, and then trade him. Could this really be done consistent with the no-tampering rules in the CBA? I can't believe it would happen this way. Bottom line, if Peppers, the Panthers, and the Patriots figure out a way to get this done in a way that involves the Patriots avoiding taking the franchise cap hit, I think the rest of the league would lose its mind.

I think the chance of this actually happening is about zero.

A.D., Maualuga, Mayo, and Peppers.

that would be sick.

BB is known for reminiscing about the days of LT, Carson, Banks, and Johnson. You get the feeling he kind of misses having those kinds of weapons at his disposal.

Couldn't they sign a deal with Wilfork that basically says he plays this year for the same cap number he would have been paid all along under his old contract, and next year the pay goes up?

I remember hearing in the past that the Pats tried to operate this way.

well, solmon has been educating me all about how to sneak around the cap, so I don't think I'm even qualified to answer, but I don't really know how you do that w/o some kind of 'guaranteed' option bonus.

as far as his salary goes, they can only increase it 30% from one year to the next, I believe, and he's pretty cheap right now.

frankly, I don't know that there's any imperative for them to even re-sign wilfork right this minute, considering that they have the franchise tag to use, and the new financial landscape of 2010+.

BB is known for reminiscing about the days of LT, Carson, Banks, and Johnson. You get the feeling he kind of misses having those kinds of weapons at his disposal.

Yep I can see some pretty intriguing schemes in fronts too.. w/ the different talent that we have..

If this happens, I definately see them packaging one of the remaining 2 2nd rounders to move up in the first round. At that point what would they need more than 2 high round picks for? Theres a good shot that the 2nd, 2nd rounder doesn't crack the depth chart for a loong time. (depending on position of course)

Someone reported a few pages back that if a franchise player is traded, the new team must have the full cap space money available for the franchise, even if the contract is restructured, or even if it is a sign and trade.

If that's true, there's no way this can happen, is there? Where are we getting $17 million?

The only other alternative I could see would be for the Panthers to withdraw the franchise, sign Peppers, and then trade him. Could this really be done consistent with the no-tampering rules in the CBA? I can't believe it would happen this way. Bottom line, if Peppers, the Panthers, and the Patriots figure out a way to get this done in a way that involves the Patriots avoiding taking the franchise cap hit, I think the rest of the league would lose its mind.

I think the chance of this actually happening is about zero.

that part of it's not really such a big issue --- I think they can sign and trade him.
the issue, I'd think, would be how you even fit a signed peppers into our payroll, and how you structure said contract so carolina's not on the hook for it.

Wow IF this deal is true then I was wrong and I overrated Peppers value, but I have to think there's more to this deal. My theory is Richard Seymour could be getting shipped along with that 34th pick.

Wow IF this deal is true then I was wrong and I overrated Peppers value, but I have to think there's more to this deal. My theory is Richard Seymour could be getting shipped along with that 34th pick.

no, plz

John Clayton just on ESPN talking rather skeptically about the possibilty. Good enough for me to consider it a done deal! :D

That's the first thought that came to my mind. He's from South Carolina. I'm
sure he'd love to play there. But they're a 4-3 team. I always thought he could be
a big LDE like Dan Hampton did for Bears. Couldn't run to his side, allowed other de
to be more of a pass rusher. Richard Dent. Not sure about cap implications if we
trade Big Sey, or even if I'd do it.

I know everybody's been talking about him as an olb, but would it even be possible he gets the start across from seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe