PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

Seems like BS to me. I just can't understand how cap number would work--he's franchised at $16M and yet the Pats are going to fit him in with only $7M in cap room???

I understand that these numbers can be fudged somewhat, but Peppers is still expecting to get paid $10M/year and I just don't see the Pats ponying up that kind of dough.

And since it would probably mean losing Seymour AND Wilfork next year I think this is a bad move.

Re: Mike Lynch made it seem deal for Peppers is imminent

BREAKING NEWS: THE PATRIOTS ARE ON THE VERGE OF GETTING PEPPERS, AND IT COULD BE AS SOON AS

......a week and a half from now.

so stay tuned.

I just woke up. Is this really happening? Or is it rumours?

Re: Mike Lynch made it seem deal for Peppers is imminent

Gotta love the media. :singing:

Seems like BS to me. I just can't understand how cap number would work--he's franchised at $16M and yet the Pats are going to fit him in with only $7M in cap room???

I understand that these numbers can be fudged somewhat, but Peppers is still expecting to get paid $10M/year and I just don't see the Pats ponying up that kind of dough.

And since it would probably mean losing Seymour AND Wilfork next year I think this is a bad move.
Even Haynesworth only counts $7.9 million his first year on the cap and Peppers would likely be less than that. Its not a matter of what he "expecting to be paid" per year as that is a whole different calculation than cap cost in the first year.

J D Sal

Last edited:

I just woke up. Is this really happening? Or is it rumours?

Just Rumors, but it seems like its pretty solid if Vic is reporting it.

One Jets' poster claims that this is the new gap:
grand%20canyon-jj-001.jpg

:rofl:

Last edited:

ohhhh, I see --- so, they could essentially give peppers a low money '09 salary, and potential huge signing bonus in '10 that wouldn't count against the '09 cap?

but why would peppers take such a big pay cut in '09 when that '10 signing bonus isn't even locked in?
this would be similar to the Stallworth deal, right?

also, would it be possible to abuse the cap w/10 mil in likely to be earned nltbe incentives that get pushed into an uncapped 2010?

The Haynesworth option bonus is guaranteed. I posted elsewhere how you could structure a $3M cap hit for 2009. $1M salary; $10M signing bonus prorated over five years; Humongous guaranteed option bonus in 2010

NLTBE and LTBE can not be used to push money into an uncapped year. Instead, midseason cap adjustments are applied as necessary.

Re: Peppers Deal Possible?

My feeling is that the lawyers and salary cap guys know more than David Yudkin and will figure a way around it.

Seems like David Yudkin doesnt even have the correct current cap number.

Just sayin...

Seems like David Yudkin doesnt even have the correct current cap number.

Just sayin...

That's besides the point...I just don't see how the deal is possible unless we relieve a lot of a cap room....We HAVE to have that 17 mill available initially regardless of what we actually pay him...

Re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34

One Jets' poster claims that this is the new gap:
grand%20canyon-jj-001.jpg

:rofl:

I read that to i was laughing :beatingcoming: Jest are gonna get a beating this year!!

Re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34

If this trade goes through, just add a little Mualuga at 23 and start thinking about one of the greatest defenses in the league.

Not to mention an even more potent offense with the addition of Galloway and Taylor.....

WOW this could be the greatest team ever assembled. Lets hope it all gets done.

I was under the impression that The franshised player signs the franchise tag once he knows where he is going in a trade and than renegotiates his contract knowing he already has a new one with the team he gets traded too.

Cassel worked a little different becuase by signing for 14 mil he set his value Peppers value is set by his years in the league. Cassel wanted to sign right away to guarentee that where as most guys dont sign because they are trying to get out from under the tag.

Re: Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 (merged 3x)

A.D., Maualuga, Mayo, and Peppers.

that would be sick.

The Haynesworth option bonus is guaranteed. I posted elsewhere how you could structure a $3M cap hit for 2009. $1M salary; $10M signing bonus prorated over five years; Humongous guaranteed option bonus in 2010

NLTBE and LTBE can not be used to push money into an uncapped year. Instead, midseason cap adjustments are applied as necessary.

thx for that awesome info.
so, basically you'd have 5 years of minor salaries and 2 big bonuses?
I'm a little confused about a guaranteed option bonus, though.
is this essentially just a bonus that you promise to pay a year from now so it doesn't count against this year?

the money....for Peppers for others needed and money to fit in the cap...THOSE ALL are the hurdles....How mauch will Peppers accept??? reasonable??? How will he get paid under the cap?? HOW will that puzzle fit??? What about other contracts?? Wilfork, Seymour, Brady??? One pays Peppers and...what happens to the others??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe