PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

There is no reason to accept losing while you rebuild when you have at least 60,000,000 in cap space.
There is no reason to lose 3 years before you figure out you drafted Daniel Jones, EJ Manuel, Brandon Weeden or Mark Sanchez.
Who said we need to accept losing? Since we’ve had this conversation, it’s been reported that the Fecals are looking for “Stafford compensation.” So how married are you to this move? How committed to this opinion on Wentz are you? Are you willing to give up two firsts (and maybe another pick since we don’t have a QB to trade them outside of Stidham) and take on the contract of a guy who has been a disruption in the locker room and just had the worst season of his career?

Last edited:
What will minshew cost pick wise as a possible bridge qb?
Cousin, Good morning. Finnish pancake with bananas and syrup. sausage links and juice and coffee to start the day.

I am also looking at his numbers on Minshew. He just dis not "suck" as some mentioned. He's only 24. He's cheap he has had 23 NFL games under his belt. He threw 16TDs and 5 INTs in only 9 games (Cam threw......8 in 15 with 10 INTs). Kid's not a statue. In 2 years he has had almost 500 yards rushing.
His killer stat was 27 sacks with a terrible JAX line. Guess how many sacks Cam had this year? 31

The numbers don't lie. The kid has fair stats on a bad team. He has charisma and he has a Massachusetts name. What more?

"Minshew was lightly recruited out of high school in Brandon, Miss. and went to Troy as a walk-on, then transferred to a junior college. From there, he wound up at East Carolina and split time with former Baker County High School star Thomas Sirk.

After graduating there, Minshew committed to Alabama as a grad transfer. The path to playing time at Alabama was quite a bit more congested — the quarterback room included Jalen Hurts, current starter Mac Jones and eventual first-round draft pick Tua Tagovailoa — and Minshew’s time left in college didn’t afford him the luxury wind up in, at best, a platoon system.

So Minshew wound up at Washington State, played for coach Mike Leach and finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy balloting.

Minshew felt he was better than his draft position indicated — the Jaguars took a shot on him in the sixth round — and that perceived slight continues to exist."

Kid plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Uncle Rico might be our guy!

DW Toys

No way the Pats take on Wentz contract at this stage. His confidence looks shot and he was outperformed by the "backup QB." Jalen Hurts looks like the better prospect at QB moving forward. Now if Wentz gets cut, sure bring him in on a prove it deal. But I want no part of that poison-laden contract with all that guaranteed money on a guy who might never pan out.

Given Wentz's 10M roster bonus coming up and the absolute cluster**** that is the Eagles' cap I am sure other teams will have the patience to wait him out. Every day that passes gives a little bit more leverage to the bidders.

Given Wentz's 10M roster bonus coming up and the absolute cluster**** that is the Eagles' cap I am sure other teams will have the patience to wait him out. Every day that passes gives a little bit more leverage to the bidders.

Translation:

Teams are offering multi-year 8th and 9th round trade packages with the back-up long snapper of the PS.

No way the Pats take on Wentz contract at this stage. His confidence looks shot and he was outperformed by the "backup QB." Jalen Hurts looks like the better prospect at QB moving forward. Now if Wentz gets cut, sure bring him in on a prove it deal. But I want no part of that poison-laden contract with all that guaranteed money on a guy who might never pan out.
His contract isn’t bad.
Not sure how hurts outplayed him, completing 52% of his passes with 6 td and 4 picks in 4 starts.
Eagles averaged 21.1ppg when wentz started and 20.3 when hurts did.
3-8-1 in wentz starts 1-3 in hurts

His contract isn’t bad.
Not sure how hurts outplayed him, completing 52% of his passes with 6 td and 4 picks in 4 starts.
Eagles averaged 21.1ppg when wentz started and 20.3 when hurts did.
3-8-1 in wentz starts 1-3 in hurts
Wentz play last year made him expendable as they can get similar production out of a cheaper Hurts. Rosemans in fantasy land if he thinks someone’s going to pay a Stafford like price. If he can get the colts/bears 1 take it and run.

If Wentz's trade value goes down significantly, I would consider trading for him. If he can return to what he was at the beginning of his career, he can be the QB of the future. Otherwise, he is nothing more than a stop gap. And that isn't worth a lot of draft capital.

I am hearing that many think the Eagles are overplaying their hand and could end up blowing getting proper value for Wentz. If the Colts and other teams get their QBs before Wentz is traded, Wentz's trade value will drop significantly. The Eagles may opt not to trade him at that point or they could look to unload him and his future cap hits.

If Wentz's trade value goes down significantly, I would consider trading for him. If he can return to what he was at the beginning of his career, he can be the QB of the future. Otherwise, he is nothing more than a stop gap. And that isn't worth a lot of draft capital.

I am hearing that many think the Eagles are overplaying their hand and could end up blowing getting proper value for Wentz. If the Colts and other teams get their QBs before Wentz is traded, Wentz's trade value will drop significantly. The Eagles may opt not to trade him at that point or they could look to unload him and his future cap hits.

The issue with Wentz is that he is a player that allegedly is consistently freelancing on plays which would simply not work in a highly structured environment like NE.

If he still was on his rookie deal you could argue that it might be worth a try to see if this is more of a organizational problem than a player problem. But given his market rate deal on top of assets that Philly apparently wants this is way too much for my taste.

Bumped with Wentz getting traded to the Colts.

3rd round pick this year an a 2nd next that coulD escalate to a first.

About the best Philly could have hoped for to get out from under that contract.

The Colts are now married to Wentz for at least the next two seasons. It’s a pretty good move for them, put him behind their excellent o line.

Wentz still counts as a $33 million cap hit for the Eagles this year!! And they are still $47 OVER the cap!!!

Seems like a win-win deal. This could work out for Wentz. Frank Reich had good success with him in Philly and that Colts team has a lot of talent, though they do need to upgrade at WR.

Why was the Eagles coach fired ????

Wentz still counts as a $33 million cap hit for the Eagles this year!! And they are still $47 OVER the cap!!!

More cuts on the way. Guys like jackson, Jeffery. They will eat dead money with those contracts as well. Talk about a mess. The saints and Philly really screwed the pooch when it comes to the cap. Those huge contracts came back to bite them.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back