PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carson Wentz traded to the Colts

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Not sure I understand his contract structure. According to over the cap it doesn’t look like this is a case where bonus money stays in Philly if he is traded and the team that gets him only has salary and no dead money.
Anyone know the facts on this?
If he is traded how much of his contract his philly as dead money, what are his cap hits to the new team and what is the guarantee or bonus structure the new team inherits?

Not sure I understand his contract structure. According to over the cap it doesn’t look like this is a case where bonus money stays in Philly if he is traded and the team that gets him only has salary and no dead money.
Anyone know the facts on this?
If he is traded how much of his contract his philly as dead money, what are his cap hits to the new team and what is the guarantee or bonus structure the new team inherits?
I’m Curious I keep seeing him tied to us and Indy.
Stephen A thinks he comes here

I’m Curious I keep seeing him tied to us and Indy.
Stephen A thinks he comes here
I could see it. Reclamation project and draft a qb early. If wentz turns it around he can be a stud. If not you can cut him lose, maybe for nothing which is why I’m asking, when you turn it over to the rookie.
His 2021 salary is 15 mill. Thank gives users close to 50 to build a team around him and if he sucks he’s gone and we have a rookie we are developing.
Should come cheap in trade cost.

$10 million bonus, fully guaranteed, due on March 19 from the team that employs him on that day. Obviously the Eagles would expect a trade to happen before that day because they're already taking a huge cap hit.

$15.4 million salary this coming season, fully guaranteed.

$22 million salary in 2022, $15 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on March 19, 2021. The rest becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2022 league year.

So if you trade for him prior to March 19, keep him for the 2021 season, and cut him early in the 2022 offseason, then you paid $40.4 million for one season, but will be reimbursed on the 2023 cap for whatever he earns from another team in 2022 (probably just minimum salary). That's the nightmare scenario that needs to be avoided here.

Nobody will take Wentz contract, he is uncuttable, they would be glad to trade him, but he has numerous large roster bonuses and guarantees that kick in, if you trade for him and cut him the next year it’s $28 million in dead money and still a large cap hit.

Nobody is trading fo4 that contract, it’s north of 30 million every year.

Maybe Wentz restructures?
I think us and Indy would be the 2 teams with the most interest.
Indy would be my bet for him.
However there is a text from Andrew Lucks wife that leaked saying how much he missed the game and wants to come back.
My guess is since Indy controls his contract he would just stay there.
Or would he be a free agent?

$15.4 million salary this coming season, fully guaranteed.
$22 million salary in 2022, $15 million of which becomes fully guaranteed on March 19, 2021. The rest becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2022 league year.

So if you trade for him prior to March 19, keep him for the 2021 season, and cut him early in the 2022 offseason, then you paid $40.4 million for one season, but will be reimbursed on the 2023 cap for whatever he earns from another team in 2022 (probably just minimum salary). That's the nightmare scenario that needs to be avoided here.
so then since he is signed through 2024 the 10 mill hits at 2.5 mill per year.
So 2021 cap hit 17.9. 2022 24.5 and 5 mill left in dead money after that. But about 25 mill to keep him.
If he gets straightened out that’s a bargain. If not you are paying the qb position 17.5 plus a rookie contract in 21 and 24.5 plus a rookie contract in 22.

Question is did coaching ruin him or did he ruin himself.

I could live with wentz or Jimmy g and a qb drafted in the first it with a trade to the early 2nd, such as Matt Jones.

Maybe Wentz restructures?
I think us and Indy would be the 2 teams with the most interest.
Indy would be my bet for him.
However there is a text from Andrew Lucks wife that leaked saying how much he missed the game and wants to come back.
My guess is since Indy controls his contract he would just stay there.
Or would he be a free agent?
I don’t think he needs to restructure. If he unf&cks himself he’s a bargain, if he doesn’t why kick the can down the road.

Someone who isn’t an injury-riddled piece of trash with a massive cap hit?
Such as?
17.5 and 24.5 aren’t massive cap hits for a qb. It’s what you have to pay, just a matter of whether he’s the right guy to do it with. Coupled with a 1st or high 2nd round qb draft choice, I think he’s be near the top of my reclamation projects.

Such as?
17.5 and 24.5 aren’t massive cap hits for a qb. It’s what you have to pay, just a matter of whether he’s the right guy to do it with. Coupled with a 1st or high 2nd round qb draft choice, I think he’s be near the top of my reclamation projects.
Wentz for our second or Tru for free?
Would you go Gimore and a 4th straight up for Wentz?

so then since he is signed through 2024 the 10 mill hits at 2.5 mill per year.
So 2021 cap hit 17.9. 2022 24.5 and 5 mill left in dead money after that. But about 25 mill to keep him.
If he gets straightened out that’s a bargain. If not you are paying the qb position 17.5 plus a rookie contract in 21 and 24.5 plus a rookie contract in 22.

Question is did coaching ruin him or did he ruin himself.

I could live with wentz or Jimmy g and a qb drafted in the first it with a trade to the early 2nd, such as Matt Jones.

His bonus is 10 million a year, each year, his salary is north of 30 million each year.

His cap hit never gets below 30 million.

Here is his contract.

Last edited:
I’d rather see us draft a QB with the #15 or move up and sign this guy...
1612483699214.jpegGet it done Bill!

Wentz for our second or Tru for free?
Would you go Gimore and a 4th straight up for Wentz?
I don’t want trubisky at all.
I don’t want to trade Gilmore why weaken our biggest strength.
Give them one of the comp 3rds and a 2022 2nd. I don’t think there will be a market.

We need our 2nd this year. We need to draft a qb at 15 or move up higher in the 2nd for Jones.

If he gets cut and would sign a cheap deal, sure. People talk a lot about how Pederson "ruined" him, but if it was so easy for a coaching staff to do that, it might not be much harder to bring him back. He might just suck on his own merit though.

we
His bonus is 10 million a year, each year, his salary is north of 30 million each year.

His cap hit never gets below 30 million.

I don’t think that is correct. @Sciz just posted the facts.
philly will eat a lot of what the future cap hits currently show.

If he gets cut and would sign a cheap deal, sure. People talk a lot about how Pederson "ruined" him, but if it was so easy for a coaching staff to do that, it might not be much harder to bring him back. He might just suck on his own merit though.
But he has played at a very high level in this league and is young.
They can’t cut him, they would eat 60 mill.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back