PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cardinals cut Isabella

If Isabella went to UConn instead of UMass he wouldn't be coveted by many on this board. Lynn Bowden and Tre Nixon have more potential.

If Isabella went to UConn instead of UMass he wouldn't be coveted by many on this board. Lynn Bowden and Tre Nixon have more potential.
No one talked about him here. Dk Metcalf and AJ Brown we’re the two guys everyone on this board was drooling over pre draft

No one talked about him here. Dk Metcalf and AJ Brown we’re the two guys everyone on this board was drooling over pre draft
True with regards to pre-draft. I am referring to the calls to trade a late round pick for him in the past, and now to sign him now to the practice squad. PS would be very low risk but I still would pass.

Last edited:

True with regards to pre-draft. I am referring to the calls to trade a late round pick for him in the last, and now to sign him now to the practice squad. PS would be very low risk but I still would pass.

Isabella has the baseline talent to be worth the gamble as a Patriots-style slot WR. He was a bad fit in Arizona from the start, because Kyler is a midget who can't see over his OL even from a 5 step drop, and Isabella is a bit of a shorty, too. And, now, all these years later, it's probably too late for Isabella, because the 3 teams where he'd probably have the best chance of success (Patriots/Raiders/Bucs) are either all set up at the slotWR spot, or have gone to a different style of slotWR for one reason or another.

The Bucs don't have the traditional Patriots-style slotWR, but they've got Gage and Godwin for the job, so burning a spot on Isabella as a gamble is probably not something that will cross the team's mind. The Patriots don't have the traditional Patriots-style slotWR, but they've gone with Meyers there, and Bourne can handle some of those duties, as well. The Raiders have Renfrow.

But, if you couldn't see why people would have been interested in Isabella out of college, couldn't see why people would have been interested in swapping Isabella and Harry, or can't see why he might fit in New England even now, you need to look again, because the "why" of it is obvious.

Pretty much done with hope this team will forge another Tight End into a superstar for a while. They are so damn rare nowadays. We’ve been blessed with Francis, Coates and the all time Gronk. Hernandez was a beast on the move as well before he ruined his and everyone else’s lives around him.

Definitely finding out these TE greats don’t grow on trees.

Isabella has the baseline talent to be worth the gamble as a Patriots-style slot WR. He was a bad fit in Arizona from the start, because Kyler is a midget who can't see over his OL even from a 5 step drop, and Isabella is a bit of a shorty, too. And, now, all these years later, it's probably too late for Isabella, because the 3 teams where he'd probably have the best chance of success (Patriots/Raiders/Bucs) are either all set up at the slotWR spot, or have gone to a different style of slotWR for one reason or another.

The Bucs don't have the traditional Patriots-style slotWR, but they've got Gage and Godwin for the job, so burning a spot on Isabella as a gamble is probably not something that will cross the team's mind. The Patriots don't have the traditional Patriots-style slotWR, but they've gone with Meyers there, and Bourne can handle some of those duties, as well. The Raiders have Renfrow.

But, if you couldn't see why people would have been interested in Isabella out of college, couldn't see why people would have been interested in swapping Isabella and Harry, or can't see why he might fit in New England even now, you need to look again, because the "why" of it is obvious.

I don't think he has slot receiver skills. He is a straight line guy whose fit with the Pats is more in the Phil Dorsett/Damiere Byrd style to my eye. All of the best Patriots slots -- Welker, Edelman, Troy Brown, Amendola -- were quickness guys more than straight speed, and were good punt returners. That's not Isabella's game. Kyler is indeed a smurf and overrated but he's thrown the ball to other smurfs like Rondale Moore and Greg Dortch. Wouldn't hate it if they added him to the PS but don't see it as an upgrade over anyone they have.

EDIT --- just saw he signed with Ravens practice squad. I agree with Deus that Lamar scrambling and throwing deep balls is a potential good fit.

Since we missed out on Isabella, here's our chance to make a move!

I don't think he has slot receiver skills. He is a straight line guy whose fit with the Pats is more in the Phil Dorsett/Damiere Byrd style to my eye. All of the best Patriots slots -- Welker, Edelman, Troy Brown, Amendola -- were quickness guys more than straight speed, and were good punt returners. That's not Isabella's game. Kyler is indeed a smurf and overrated but he's thrown the ball to other smurfs like Rondale Moore and Greg Dortch. Wouldn't hate it if they added him to the PS but don't see it as an upgrade over anyone they have.

EDIT --- just saw he signed with Ravens practice squad. I agree with Deus that Lamar scrambling and throwing deep balls is a potential good fit.
Isabella's 10yd split is only 1.58. Jakobi's is actually faster.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back