PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we not give up on Tom Brady after one game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so too. Took some time with LaFell but Cooks is elite.

Worried about DA. He can't handle the kind of punishment JE11 could

Amendola is as tough as it gets but he definitely gets beaten up. Truth is that there are very few people on this planet who can take the punishment Edelman and Welker have taken and keep going. With Edelman gone I think their smartest move would be to do slot by committee and use every player who can contribute there in whatever way they can. I would use Hogan, Lewis, White, Amendola, and Burkhead all in the slot. I would love to use Cooks there but I'm not sure I want him getting decapitated by linebackers and safeties.

The loss of Edelman can't be understated, like Welker before him he was Brady's safety valve and the primary reason he could get rid of the ball in under two seconds. Very few players can get open that quick, hold onto the ball, and take the beating they take. More than anything else they need to get Brady comfortable with his slot options, everything else will fall into place offensively once they do,

Amendola is as tough as it gets but he definitely gets beaten up. Truth is that there are very few people on this planet who can take the punishment Edelman and Welker have taken and keep going. With Edelman gone I think their smartest move would be to do slot by committee and use every player who can contribute there in whatever way they can. I would use Hogan, Lewis, White, Amendola, and Burkhead all in the slot. I would love to use Cooks there but I'm not sure I want him getting decapitated by linebackers and safeties.

The loss of Edelman can't be understated, like Welker before him he was Brady's safety valve and the primary reason he could get rid of the ball in under two seconds. Very few players can get open that quick, hold onto the ball, and take the beating they take. More than anything else they need to get Brady comfortable with his slot options, everything else will fall into place offensively once they do,
When JE11 went out in 2015 this offense was painful to watch.

It'll be a few weeks before it's humming along.

Amendola is tough, but when you're already knocked out of the game with 10 minutes to go in a Week 1 contest, you can't be counted on unfortunately. He's not the answer for Edelman. If zero moves are made between now and the trade deadline to shore up that role, the team will need to use the RBs even more (specifically 20, 21, and 22 personnel to get both White and Burkhead/Lewis on the field at the same time) in the passing game than they did before to give Brady a quick outlet. My bet is that guy will be Burkhead, since he can also line up in the slot.

You would never know that the Patriots had the ball in a one-point game with nine minutes to play based on the reactions by some fans. Perhaps it is fueled in part by the media, who make money sensationalizing and overreacting to events.

For those that would like to wallow in misery, those final nine minutes are being replayed on NFLN right now.

I could care less about TDs, stats and yards. He missed a few receivers that he would normally hit. The throw beyond the LoS was a brain cramp. It just wasn't his best. It wasn't all his fault but he just off.

Let's just agree to disagree on how well he played. Even GOATs can't be great every game.

Ahhh, the good old eye test. Got it. That's why they have stats, so we don't have to trust on the eye test.

Yeah, we can disagree. I'll live with 27 points every time.

Ahhh, the good old eye test. Got it. That's why they have stats, so we don't have to trust on the eye test.

Yeah, we can disagree. I'll live with 27 points every time.
So TD passes and passer ratings are what measure a QBs excellence?

He was 16-36. By Tom's standards both statistically and visually it was an off night.

Last edited:
Brady is the last person not this team that I would give up on, sure few throws were a miss, but for the most part he did fine considering it was the first game of the season and without Edelman and a wobbly Amendola and a less than 100% Gronk.

For those that would like to wallow in misery, those final nine minutes are being replayed on NFLN right now.
I'd rather catch myself in the zipper of my shorts than watch those 9 min again.

Last edited:

Yeah, people really shouldn't conflate toughness with durability, and Amendola is one of the best examples I can think of. He's tough as hell, to the point that he'll play through basically anything he's physically capable of playing through. The guy played a whole season with a fully torn groin. He once almost died on the field and he came back from it.

He has little durability, which sucks and keeps him from being able to reliably fill a large role in the offense, and that is definitely a shame. But the injuries that knock him out are never a matter of toughness. I've never once wondered if Amendola could have maybe played when he didn't.

Brady is the last person not this team that I would give up on, sure few throws were a miss, but for the most part he did fine considering it was the first game of the season and without Edelman and a wobbly Amendola and a less than 100% Gronk.
Gronk was 100%.

I haven't seen anything about benching Tom in my casual internet browsing

I think you should probably relax

Go check out the game thread from Thursday night.

Don't really, it's absolute cancer and a huge waste of your time, but there were people advocating for exactly that.

So TD passes and passer ratings are what measure a QBs greatness?

He was 16-36. By Tom's standards both statistically and visually it was an off night.

Stats are an indicator. They are certainly more of an indicator than the "eye test".

It doesn't matter if he was 6-36. His Y/A and Y/G were at just about his career mark. He moved the team for 27 points (no thanks to our 3.5 running game) which is what our #3 offense averaged last season. Three short running TDs to finish up his drives mad his PR worse than it actually was.

Plug in those 3 cheesy TDs runs to his numbers and he has a 97 passer rating.

He had a number of drops as well as ridiculous passing situations at the end of the game because of the sacks. Without those his pass % would have been okay.

Gronk was 100%.

I'm not totally certain that he is. Not going to go out and claim with any conviction that he's not, but there were times Thursday night when he appeared to be moving a little gingerly, and when he went to the ground he looked a little slow to get up. I actually am a bit worried, although there's a good chance it's nothing, or he has an unreported minor injury that he's playing through. His history of back injuries obviously makes you wonder, but I don't think Belichick would put him in in the preseason if his back wasn't healed, so I bet it's just a small thing.

Stats are an indicator. They are certainly more of an indicator than the "eye test".

It doesn't matter if he was 6-36. His Y/A and Y/G were at just about his career mark. He moved the team for 27 points (no thanks to our 3.5 running game) which is what our #3 offense averaged last season. Three short running TDs to finish up his drives mad his PR worse than it actually was.

Plug in those 3 cheesy TDs runs to his numbers and he has a 97 passer rating.

He had a number of drops as well as ridiculous passing situations at the end of the game because of the sacks. Without those his pass % would have been okay.

I see.....you are one of those fans who simply cannot admit Brady played less than his typical GOAT-self.

No use debating that point.

I see.....you are one of those fans who simply cannot admit Brady played less than his typical GOAT-self.

No use debating that point.

You are discussing this who claimed BB got Cooks because BB did not think Malcom Mitchell was the "guy". And after myself and other posters tried to explain how completely idiotic the statement was - he still dosen't get it.

I'm not totally certain that he is. Not going to go out and claim with any conviction that he's not, but there were times Thursday night when he appeared to be moving a little gingerly, and when he went to the ground he looked a little slow to get up. I actually am a bit worried, although there's a good chance it's nothing, or he has an unreported minor injury that he's playing through. His history of back injuries obviously makes you wonder, but I don't think Belichick would put him in in the preseason if his back wasn't healed, so I bet it's just a small thing.
In fairness to you as a solid poster....I'm being a hard-ass on Gronk this year.

I love Gronk. Hes a future HoFer.

But I refuse to allow myself to speculate, "Gronk is hurt" or "Gronk's hammy is tight" and these being the reasons for the less-than-Gronk performance Thurs night.

He and Tom were out of sync. Not sure why but since he hasn't been on the field for 10 months I think that is a big reason.

I agree with you he seemed to get tweaked on the EZ non-catch. Looked like he got rocked on a running play in the 3rd qtr.

But for the love of Pete, he needs to produce and I refuse to make excuses for him.

I really hope we aren't seeing a repeat of 2015 Peyton Manning. It would be a sad sight to see. Furthermore, Brady doesn't have a D who can carry him.

You are discussing this who claimed BB got Cooks because BB did not think Malcom Mitchell was the "guy". And after myself and other posters tried to explain how completely idiotic the statement was - he still dosen't get it.
That was him? Oh man..LOL

I really hope we aren't seeing a repeat of 2015 Peyton Manning. It would be a sad sight to see. Furthermore, Brady doesn't have a D who can carry him.

Nah. Tom's fine. He doesn't have a significant injury history to warrant that kind of speculation.

Clearly hes was not on the same page with a few of the new receivers.

Even he and Gronk were trying to find a groove.

The D being porous didn't help.

As I've said in other posts, just a bad, bad, bad night for the entire team.

Onward and upward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results