PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we not give up on Tom Brady after one game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Can we not give up on Tom Brady after one game?

I've been reading posts on here, twitter from actual Patriots fans and been watching people on TV claim Brady is done. With the ESPN part aside, I just feel like the whole "Bench Brady" and "He lost his zip with his passes" is a huge overreaction and if anybody has earned the right to not be cast aside so quickly, its Tom Brady. The guy continues to prove every hater wrong and every time the haters say something stupid, he reminds everybody that he's the GOAT.

I understand he didn't play like the greatest QB ever, but looking back the coaching didn't help him nor the team. I could be wrong, but my gut tells me he will light up New Orleans next week and by Week 7 this will be remembered as one of the biggest overreactions of all time. This forum isn't the problem, but tweets from actual Patriots fans are very concerning:

Patriots fans already calling for Jimmy Garoppolo to start over Tom Brady | The Sports Daily

That isn't even close to the amount of garbage I've read on twitter from our fans. ESPN and haters are one thing, but where is the loyalty? I get the team is the most important and not one player, but casting Brady away after one game? Please.

Discuss your thoughts as I've seen the Brady subject talked about a lot since the game.

Brady played like a sixth round pick Thusrday night. That being said, these people are morons. It's not like he's never had a bad game. All the greats do. Multiple times throughout their careers. Anybody that is calling for him to be benched is not only an imbecile, but not worthy of being called a Patriots fan. If they should be mad at anyone it should be our OC. This offense has routinely put up great numbers in spite of this idiot and his sometimes comically stupid play calling. But for whatever reason, he gets a free pass here.

I haven't seen anything about benching Tom in my casual internet browsing

I think you should probably relax

I have though and that is enough to warrant a thread (plus the link I posted). I posted this on a PS Vita and took 1 hour so at least ask not to dismiss what I am saying. I am relaxed, I just both want to discuss this topic and hear opinions from Patriots fans.

Do not dismiss this thread, thank you.

All this talk about Brady being over the hill is total horseshit, it's not even worth addressing.

Let's look at what Brady had to work with:

1) Edelman - out (DNP)
2) Mitchell - out (DNP)
3) Amendola - 100 yards through 3 quarters - out (concussion)
4) Gronk - defended by pro-bowl safety Eric Berry with help over the top.
5) Hogan - defended by pro-bowl corner Marcus Peters with occasional help.
6) Cooks - no previous live game experience
7) Allens - no previous live game experience
8) Dorsett - no previous experience whatsoever.

So by the fourth quarter, his top FIVE weapons that he's had to work with in the past are either out or effectively neutralized. At the end of the game, he was down to three pure receivers, one of who he'd only had days to work with (Dorsett).

Despite all that, they were actually leading 27-21 when Amendola went out of the game. When he went out, the wheels came off the offense because there was nobody to work the belly of the defense and stretch it, keep it honest.

That's all there is to it for me.

Have to think some of Bradys errant passes were a result of the constant mugging of his receivers. Brady throws a lot of timing passes and receivers werent' where they should have been because of the holding.. Not saying by the second half he shouldn't have adjusted to that but that's my take on the thing. And there are some adjustments for the defense too. It'll get fixed.. The talent is there.

I didn't mean to upset anyone by raising questions about Brady's arm strength, velocity, or deep ball accuracy. I realize it's just one game and the sample size is far too small. And there are countless mitigating factors affecting his performance (the long/near-term loss of Edelman, Mitchell, and Amendola, tight coverage by the Chiefs defenders, roster turnover and the need to develop chemistry and trust with new WRs).

I'm a football fan, and I love making projections based on statistical trends and what I see on the field. The fact is.... I do anticipate a regression in Brady's performance (it remains to be seen whether that decline will be gradual - best case scenario - or sudden). But I realize this is a fan forum, and the love for Brady is vast. So I'll do my best not to worry or offend others here.

Edit: I also feel that regardless of a decline, the Pats can still win games going forward. And I expect them to win many more, if they can surround Brady with the right pieces and schemes

Last edited:
I didn't mean to upset anyone by raising questions about Brady's arm strength, velocity, or deep ball accuracy. I realize it's just one game and the sample size is far too small. And there are countless mitigating factors affecting his performance (the long/near-term loss of Edelman, Mitchell, and Amendola, the Chiefs' defense, roster turnover and the need to develop chemistry and trust with new WRs).

I'm a football fan, and I love making projections based on statistical trends and what I see on the field. The fact is.... I do anticipate a regression in Brady's performance (it remains to be seen whether that decline will be gradual - best case scenario - or sudden). But I realize this is a fan forum, and the love for Brady is vast. So I'll do my best not to worry or offend others here.
You're cool. Nothing you or anyone here has upset me. I'm not that thin skinned and if you knew me on the other sites I use you'd know that for certain. I really don't want this thread to turn like my others. I understand I am younger than a lot of you guys, but understand you really didn't upset you. I like you and everybody here and just wanted to discuss this.

That's all.

In the not-too-distant future, we'll be laughing our asses off at the wishful thinkers who desperately want to believe that it's over for TB and NE. I'm actually beginning to giggle a little already...

Disagree, the crybaby biatches are throwing their pink hats into the ring..
This board has always had a significant percentage of band wagoners. Of course that doesn't make it unique.

All this talk about Brady being over the hill is total horseshit, it's not even worth addressing.

Let's look at what Brady had to work with:

1) Edelman - out (DNP)
2) Mitchell - out (DNP)
3) Amendola - 100 yards through 3 quarters - out (concussion)
4) Gronk - defended by pro-bowl safety Eric Berry with help over the top.
5) Hogan - defended by pro-bowl corner Marcus Peters with occasional help.
6) Cooks - no previous live game experience
7) Allens - no previous live game experience
8) Dorsett - no previous experience whatsoever.

So by the fourth quarter, his top FIVE weapons that he's had to work with in the past are either out or effectively neutralized. At the end of the game, he was down to three pure receivers, one of who he'd only had days to work with (Dorsett).

Despite all that, they were actually leading 27-21 when Amendola went out of the game. When he went out, the wheels came off the offense because there was nobody to work the belly of the defense and stretch it, keep it honest.

That's all there is to it for me.
This post makes me feel better about the offense. Can you do one about the defense? I didn't think our defense had lost that many key players so am wondering where the wheels came off there.

This post makes me feel better about the offense. Can you do one about the defense? I didn't think our defense had lost that many key players so am wondering where the wheels came off there.
Long, Sheard, Ninkovich to just name a few. Add in Cassius Marsh who just arrived last week and having Jordan Richards playing LB and things become a little clearer regarding early struggles.

There will come a day when Brady won't answer the bell. Either physically, or mentally, the fire will dim.

Predicting it is a fool's errand.

Saying it's NOW! is disloyal and ignorant of history.

He's got a serious adjustment to make with the changeover of receivers. Cooks is ready to click (but the trust isn't quite there yet, I think). He and Hogan have trust, and Gronk is Gronk.

That's not quite enough yet against a good team - and yes, KC is a VERY good team, and really well-coached in terms of scheme.

They exposed the thinness with Jules, Mitchell, and then DA out.

But the Pats have options. Dorsett is pretty good, and they have RBs who can get more into the passing game.

I didn't mean to upset anyone by raising questions about Brady's arm strength, velocity, or deep ball accuracy. I realize it's just one game and the sample size is far too small. And there are countless mitigating factors affecting his performance (the long/near-term loss of Edelman, Mitchell, and Amendola, tight coverage by the Chiefs defenders, roster turnover and the need to develop chemistry and trust with new WRs).

Between those salivating at the prospect of seeing Jimmy "Golden Arm" Garoppolo, the one-and-a-half game wonder, take his first steps toward the Hall of Fame by replacing Brady, the "Trade Brady, keep Cassel" thread of 2008/2009, and the "Trade Brady, keep JAG" thread of 2014 after the KC loss, I would cut fans on the forum a little slack on reasonable debate on that topic after a loss in the first game of the season.

If you believe Brady has had nothing but 100+ ratings in games, then feel free to re-visit 2013. He was throwing to a bunch of unfamiliar faces, and he looked uncomfortable. He looked pretty much like he did on Thursday when the one familiar face who could get open - Amendola - got knocked out. If you are analyzing throwing mechanics when he is uncomfortable with the new faces, compare 2013 and the first 8 games.

Brady forced bad passes in 2013 and made plenty of bad throws himself that year (I suspect out of frustration), but I would attribute a less than warm response to that topic, if objectivity is your aim, to the broken record of reactionary posts by those apoplectic after the rare bad game/loss.

There will come a day when Brady won't answer the bell. Either physically, or mentally, the fire will dim.

Predicting it is a fool's errand.

Saying it's NOW! is disloyal and ignorant of history.

100% correct. Loyalty has nothing to do with it though. TB12 has simply earned the benefit of the doubt.

He's got a serious adjustment to make with the changeover of receivers. Cooks is ready to click (but the trust isn't quite there yet, I think). He and Hogan have trust, and Gronk is Gronk.

This.

The offense is 11 moving parts that need to operate as one. I don't think that was happening consistently Thurs night.

Quite frankly, I think TB12 and Gronk need to re-establish their chemistry. Keep in mind he hadn't played in a reg season game with Tom in almost a year.

Thurs night should be viewed as just a bad game and TB12 getting used to new players and players he really hasn't played with in a while.

That's not quite enough yet against a good team - and yes, KC is a VERY good team, and really well-coached in terms of scheme.

They exposed the thinness with Jules, Mitchell, and then DA out.

But the Pats have options. Dorsett is pretty good, and they have RBs who can get more into the passing game.

KC has been a well coached, very good team for a handful of years now and will be this year. However, losing Eric Berry is
catastrophic.

Quite a few did in the game thread.

I honestly tried to follow that thread, but like pretty much all game day threads, I just couldn't. I don't know what brings out the (apparently) alcohol-fueled part-time commentators, but man it's like a magnet for them.

I have enough to deal with in real life without all that negativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back