PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Yeah, I think we will have to move up to at least #10 to grab Lance. I think he will only slide because of limited tape on him, the fact that a top 10 draft pick requires a significant investment, and that he'll likely need to sit a year as well....not many teams have a stable enough coaching/GM situation for that...

Moving from #15 to #10 -- if you trust the draft value chart -- is the equivalent essentially a late 2nd round pick or two late 3rd round picks. That is absolutely fine in terms of costs for a QB taken in the first round.

I think one of the key break points with how this draft will go is how the board looks at #7. How far up will Carolina and Denver trade up to grab their QB of choice ? They might both get into a bidding war to get into the Bengals slot for that. Might one of them stay put and go BPA ? And so on...

I think we will know pretty early in which direction our draft will go based on what other QB needy teams will do.

Alex Smith on an almost amputated leg is better than cam.
Wow, in the few years I've been on here, I have never seen you in such disagreement with Bill before.

It sounds like it's a Cam Newton bashing thread
I’m treating 2021 as a year to add pieces through the draft and FA while a rookie QB is learning. Unless Buffalo and Miami regress, next season is a throwaway unless we’re a surprise team. I’m fine with eating another season. I would’ve been fine with 1-15 to get Lawrence!

The advantage of signing Cam is he’s cheap and he DOES have time in our system under his belt. His shortcomings are apparent but all we can do now his hope he shows some improvement with a more normal off-season/pre-season.

That being said I’ve never liked Cam. He is a showboat and a front-runner. Any adversity and he gets pouty-face and quits. Him not diving on the fumble in SB 50 was ridiculous and told the world he isn’t a gamer. So I understand the bashing part of the conversation. He’s an ass but now he’s our ass for another year and I can only hope he gets better. It hurt to type that last part btw. :haha:

But yes, let’s wait until FA and draft are over until we totally come unglued, that I agree with!

Brady did have great talent around him and it is Belichick's fault that he didn't in 2019 and the Pats had even less in 2020 (other than the players who decided to sit out the season because of COVID). Those two arguments are not mutually exclusive.

But I am done letting you Brady cultists highjacking this thread trying to turn this into another referendum on Brady like you did with the Belichick's haters thread.

say The Bucs are a talented team and Brady has great weapons and people will come out in droves to tell you why they really weren't that talented.

But point out Bill won with Jimmy in 2016 and cassell on 2008 they will tell you those teams were talented so it doesn't count.

Rudolph will only be looking at the $ amount first than the QB.

I do agree here. Other than the few players here and there. Most guys will look at the most money.

Yeah I'm sure Godwin wants to win. But there's a reason he's franchise tagged.

Pathetic!

Newton's a total loser, which makes him a perfect fit for Belichick with his legacy now in freefall. It's going to get very ugly at Gillette. Newton had it very easy in 2020 with no fans in attendance. So when he's making a complete fool of himself next season, drilling balls at the feet of equally incompetent receivers, he is going to get booed out of the stadium. Newton's sidekick - Belichick - is in for some very hard times as well.

"Run it back!! Chapter 2" LOL!! Belichick is seemingly intent on making a complete mocking of his dying career. It's hard to believe the Krafts signed on with this garbage... we are witnessing the sudden collapse of a once formidable franchise.

Go Bucs!!
1615575650501.gif

Moving from #15 to #10 -- if you trust the draft value chart -- is the equivalent essentially a late 2nd round pick or two late 3rd round picks. That is absolutely fine in terms of costs for a QB taken in the first round.

I think one of the key break points with how this draft will go is how the board looks at #7. How far up will Carolina and Denver trade up to grab their QB of choice ? They might both get into a bidding war to get into the Bengals slot for that. Might one of them stay put and go BPA ? And so on...

I think we will know pretty early in which direction our draft will go based on what other QB needy teams will do.

haha detroit accepted a 3 this year and a 3 next year for this trade on the PFF sim haha.....consider it DONE! lol

Did Brady get all his TDs of his entire career last year in Tampa? Didn't know that. See you learn something new every day.

I have never said anything but Brady was the greatest of all time. I have never degraded Brady as the best QB ever. All I ever said is that he has lost a bit of a step and cannot carry a bad team anymore (you cannot prove me wrong and Tampa being the 28th passing offense against the blitz last year during the season backs me up) but he is a GREAT QB and that he wasn't elite when he started his career. And Brady ball washers like you cannot let even the most minor of criticism of Brady go.

You really are pathetic.
Except there’s, like, zero evidence that he’s lost a step. None. He just threw 40 TDs. In a brand new system. With a brand new coach. At age 42. With no training camp. As far as “vs the blitz,” what were those splits with and without Marpet and anything representing an NFL-caliber interior OL in a vertical offense going up against primarily a Cover-2 Rat and Robber look with every defense they played? You won’t answer that, of course, because it blows up your point. I think he won head to head against Mahomes and Rodgers in the playoffs as well. Can you check that for me? I do believe you called those two elite and ranked them over Brady as well. Heh. You ranked Josh Allen over him at one point. LMFAOOOOOOOO!

Outside of that? Top 5 post by you. Easily.

I’m treating 2021 as a year to add pieces through the draft and FA while a rookie QB is learning. Unless Buffalo and Miami regress, next season is a throwaway unless we’re a surprise team. I’m fine with eating another season. I would’ve been fine with 1-15 to get Lawrence!

The advantage of signing Cam is he’s cheap and he DOES have time in our system under his belt. His shortcomings are apparent but all we can do now his hope he shows some improvement with a more normal off-season/pre-season.

That being said I’ve never liked Cam. He is a showboat and a front-runner. Any adversity and he gets pouty-face and quits. Him not diving on the fumble in SB 50 was ridiculous and told the world he isn’t a gamer. So I understand the bashing part of the conversation. He’s an ass but now he’s our ass for another year and I can only hope he gets better. It hurt to type that last part btw. :haha:

But yes, let’s wait until FA and draft are over until we totally come unglued, that I agree with!
Yeah, some good points. One of the biggest takeaways I took away last year from Cam is that he lacked that "clutch gene". Brady always had it and there were a few times(Buffalo driving for a win and fumbles, Seattle comes up 1 yard short to win) comes to mind. I'm sure there are others, but I am having a blond moment now....anyway, let's see what happens in free agency and the draft...I would be really surprised if we come out of both with only Cam and Stidham.

Pathetic!

Newton's a total loser, which makes him a perfect fit for Belichick with his legacy now in freefall. It's going to get very ugly at Gillette. Newton had it very easy in 2020 with no fans in attendance. So when he's making a complete fool of himself next season, drilling balls at the feet of equally incompetent receivers, he is going to get booed out of the stadium. Newton's sidekick - Belichick - is in for some very hard times as well.

"Run it back!! Chapter 2" LOL!! Belichick is seemingly intent on making a complete mocking of his dying career. It's hard to believe the Krafts signed on with this garbage... we are witnessing the sudden collapse of a once formidable franchise.

Go Bucs!!
Newton hurt his shoulder, didn't have a normal offseason with a team to help him with rehabbing the shoulder and the throwing motion, and got the coronavirus. It was also a year with a whole lot of fake a/k/a not-in-person practices. So, when we correctly bash Newton's play last season, we should keep that in mind. He played at a level that was not NFL starter worthy last year, and we shouldn't forget that, but we should realize that his cirumstances made it more difficult to work on correcting his throwing.

I think bringing him back was a terrible idea, but I don't think it's crazy for people to hope and think that someone might be able to get his throwing motion fixed. Without seeing the medicals about how the shoulder healed, outsiders cannot be sure that such a thing is impossible.

say The Bucs are a talented team and Brady has great weapons and people will come out in droves to tell you why they really weren't that talented.

But point out Bill won with Jimmy in 2016 and cassell on 2008 they will tell you those teams were talented so it doesn't count.
That's a really stupid post.

This doesn’t guarantee that cam will be the starter. I’d be shocked if they don’t attempt to draft or sign another QB. I think stidham is on the chopping block j

Newton is a popular guy in the league. I have to think Belichick did this as a way to bring FA weapons here. He wouldn’t have much to sell them on, especially if we can’t get Jimmy.

I wouldn't have been fine with 1-15. The coaching staff and that includes Bill would have been fired after a debacle like that. And rightfully so. 1-15 to me would be an immediate disqualifier for Bill in any conversation about GOAT head coach.

I don't think BB can wave a magic wand and make this a playoff team in 2021 but I think we'll hang around for most of the season and it will be clear we're a lot better than we were in 2020...and a year from now with an answer at QB we have an even better and younger team whose window is about to open and ready to make the Bills AFC East dynasty a very short lived one.

You mean the same player who gave up multiple sacks last year because he screwed up his pass protection assignments ?

Maybe White should work on his own presnap reads first.
still better than Scam ;)
probably is throwing better ball as well

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes