PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Honestly, I don’t buy into the whole “Covid” excuse. He/we looked good initially, due to the fact that it was the first three weeks of the season so teams didn’t have a beat on us yet. Also, we played MIA (first game of season..anything’s liable to happen), SEA (historically bad defense...we just didn’t know exactly how bad during week 2) & OAK (turned out to be a decent team, but still very unstable). The teams we faced got better, began to catch on to our ultra one-dimensional offense, stacked the box & we regressed (due to various circumstances). Long story short; Covid wasn’t the culprit it was made out to be...Scam simply sucked.
People conveniently post "first 3 game stats" while failing to mention THE MAJORITY OF THOSE WERE AGAINST SEATTLE. Literally, he will never have a game that good ever again. It was against a defense that took 12+ games to avoid becoming the worst statistical defense ever.

Take seattles game out? Still looks bad.

Bill didn't spend $14 million

Kraft potentially did

Bill only used a small portion of that in cap space

March 12, we have a whole FA period. Draft and preseason to come. Lets just wait. Its really hard to believe this is the final move at QB.

So lets try something different. Please tell us what you would have done to address the QB situation given the cap space, draft picks and actually available QBs. Lets try to turn this into something constructive..
Ok.
I would be drafting a qb in round 1.

I would have found every QB that has a chance to win (even if it’s a bit of a career resurrection) and gone after every one of them.

I would have been in on wentz if I believed I could fix him.
(I would have passed on Goff and Stafford because I don’t think you can win with them)
I would be in on Mariota, Jimmy g., bridgewater,etc.
I would absolutely be pushing Watson and Wilson.
I would be looking at all the FA QBs.
Hell I’d even check into Brees.

I’m other words I would leave no stone unturned. I would refuse to accept that we have to endure another season of the suck of cam Newton. I would have eliminated him from consideration. Instead we choose him even before free agency starts.

There is just no scenario where this is anything but a stupid, stupid move.

He didn't give them ****. He is still getting all that money and did the same self-serving thing he did in NE by giving his team short term cap space so he'd be on a competitive team. Like hundreds of other players on many other teams have done in the last decade.
He gave them $19m in cap space, so to claim he didn't give them anything is an obvious falsehood. But keep clowning yourself if you wish.

He gave them $19m in cap space, so to claim he didn't give them anything is an obvious lie. But keep clowning yourself if you wish.
He didn’t “give it to them”. He took his paycheck in a different form so the cap charge could be changed. He didn’t give up a nickel.
A better way to put it if the bucs gave themselves $19 mill by cutting Brady a check for most of his 2020 salary now so their cap accounting would let them count it later.
Look Brady is the goat, we all love him you don’t have to lie to make him look better. I understand that’s your natural instinct but you really don’t have to.

I'm guessing you never watched a family member slip away from dementia, otherwise you wouldn't be making such a callous post
What diagnosis wouldn't trigger your delicate sensibilities?

As far as I am concerned I will not judge this move until a short period after the draft (enough time for Darnold and Garoppolo to being traded assuming the Jets and/or get a new QB in the draft. Then I will judge it.

If at that point the Pats have Cam as the only viable starter and no serious potential QB of the future, then I will kill this move.If at that point the Pats have drafted a Lance or Jones or a viable QB of the future and/or traded for someone like Garopolo, I will be ok with this move. I think it is that simple. Again, if the Pats do draft the QB of the future and he needs to sit a year and the Pats suck in 2021 because Cam is starting and then go on to win 2-3 Super Bowls with the QB of the future, I am ok with that.

March 12, we have a whole FA period. Draft and preseason to come. Lets just wait. Its really hard to believe this is the final move at QB.
Why is it even remotely hard to believe? Did you watch last season and hear Bill's vehement, relentless defense of Cam despite his atrocious play on the field?

Might be true. I have been a fan since the 80s, but there is something about watching Cam that I do not enjoy. He is a great guy - I like him personally. Sometimes I found I enjoyed listening to his post game reactions more than watching him on game day. I guess the whole team looks dysfunctional with Cam at QB and that triggers some deep seeded anxiety left over from my damage childhood. Not sure how to explain it any other way. Watching Hoyer and Stidham did not trigger me like Cam. Not sure if that makes me a poser fan or not. :confused:
I'm not a huge fan of Cam's game. He was OK as long as the team stayed on schedule, but could not dig out from after a bad play, and there were more than a few of them. On the other hand, it's not like there are better choices out there that we have a decent shot at, and our DL could not stop the run especially late in the season. Now we're going to have 17 games and lots of players over 30. There's still a lot of rebuilding to do.
5-10 isn't so bad. Quite a few teams take a lot longer than that. Bills went more than 20 years between Kelly and Allen.
And Allen's first season was pretty rocky, half their fan base wanted to dump him. We're going to need patience...
Bill has lost it. Anyone defending paying Cam $14M officially gets their homer membership and can tell me how Bill’s jock smells today. High fives for Team Bill!

What a disgusting move.
Way to show how you don't know what an incentive is.

Oh man, it is good to be BB's friend. 14M for Cam Newton is a joke. The problem with Cam is that he has proven to be a failure here with this team. With another QB, you can at least sell to free agents and say "we think Marcus Mariota/Gardner Minshew/whoever is a good fit for our system and he can be very good here". You simply cannot even make that pitch with Cam. The guy had trouble throwing 150 yards in some games last year. I never thought BB would get a QB with massive upside, because his best case scenario is Jimmy G, but ************ this is awful.

Why is it even remotely hard to believe? Did you watch last season and hear Bill's vehement, relentless defense of Cam despite his atrocious play on the field?

Because Cam signed a low value one year deal and not a market rate longer deal for a starting QB.

Way to show how you don't know what an incentive is.

as another poster pointed out, if cam hit the $14mil mark, wouldn't that mean that we probably won a bunch of games and made a deep, deep playoff run, with solid QB stats?

something tells me i would be pretty happy if we ended up paying Cam $14mil for 2021

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back