PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam expected to start on MNF

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be that BB has an obligation to let Cam reach his playing time incentives based on verbal understanding between the two.
It also speaks to complete disregard for Stidham.
I don't know - I feel like they've made exceptions and paid players in the past for incentives in good faith regardless, so if he felt playing Stidham was what needed to happen, I would have to believe they'd just move forward with that and take care of Cam anyway.

Only reason I think this is happening is because Cam is still earning the starting job significantly in practice. It would go against what Belichick stands for if he started a player who hasn't earned it.

Double...

Last edited:
I love his attitude and he's certainly said/done all the right things. It just hasn't translated onto the field and I feel like there's too much muscle memory there to undo. If they're going to invest that much energy in someone, I feel like it's better spent on a younger player since they're obviously building for the future.

I mean, I'll be fair and let's say for argument's sake Cam gets them to 10-6 next season and into the Wild Card round. I don't see them winning four straight to win a title with his current limited skillset. And he's certainly not taking them to 15-1 or 14-2 and a one seed, which would probably need to happen in order to at least make your miracle scenario(s) possible.
Honestly can you think of a player in the bb era who has started 12+ games and been worse?

Honestly can you think of a player in the bb era who has started 12+ games and been worse?
It’s strange. Even if Cam has made the majority of right moves when they review the film, I just don’t understand how he can be satisfied with that.

Like @mgteich said, maybe they’ve seen enough of Stidham. But I guess my concern would be if they bring Cam back this offseason...that just makes the whole situation that much bizarre.

Belichick has never been afraid of moving on from an unproductive quarterback, consequences be-damned. This one is definitely just an odd situation, to say the least.

It’s strange. Even if Cam has made the majority of right moves when they review the film, I just don’t understand how he can be satisfied with that.

Like @mgteich said, maybe they’ve seen enough of Stidham. But I guess my concern would be if they bring Cam back this offseason...that just makes the whole situation that much bizarre.

Belichick has never been afraid of moving on from an unproductive quarterback, consequences be-damned. This one is definitely just an odd situation, to say the least.
I mean Bill usually had an option to move on to. In this case it seems like his option are Hoyer who the book is written on and Stidham who he seems deadset against after watching him two years.

I think there is alot of credence to the theory that Bill didn't make many moves because of cap and they needed to clear it for a rebuild and Cam just fell to them and he clearly was a better option so he's been riding him out good or bad and that the only reason Stidham was possibly going to start in the offseason was because he just happened to be the guy here.

The big question is if we draft or sign a free agent QB, does Bill keep either Cam or Stidham on as a bridge/back up.

I mean Bill usually had an option to move on to. In this case it seems like his option are Hoyer who the book is written on and Stidham who he seems deadset against after watching him two years.

I think there is alot of credence to the theory that Bill didn't make many moves because of cap and they needed to clear it for a rebuild and Cam just fell to them and he clearly was a better option so he's been riding him out good or bad and that the only reason Stidham was possibly going to start in the offseason was because he just happened to be the guy here.

The big question is if we draft or sign a free agent QB, does Bill keep either Cam or Stidham on as a bridge/back up.

The big hole in this argument that has been repeated 100s of times is that BB would be trying different QBs if he did not like Stidham or Cam. Why not try Rosen on the roster? In 2000 he carried 4 QBs because he felt he had to find someone. If the 3 QBs on the roster are not viable, why has BB not tried something else? He is always cycling guys through at every position if he needs someone.

The only reason I can think of for letting Cam play at all—let alone start—is his playtime incentives. Cam needs about one half of play to get to 80% for the season. If he's benched for the remaining two games, he won't reach it. Because he's not under contract for next year, there is no easy way for the Patriots to pay him that incentive if he doesn't earn it himself. [There's no way he can reach the 90% incentive.]
On the radio they talked about this and they can just pay him that incentive. This type of thing has been done before.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Bill is going to try to play spoiler on Monday against a Bills team still playing for seeding, and Cam probably gives NE the best chance to win...they won't, but he's better than Stidham. Now against NYJ in the last game of the season, I can see Bill putting in Stidham.
We haven’t scored a TD in 2 games with Cam. Stidham can’t be any worse.

The big hole in this argument that has been repeated 100s of times is that BB would be trying different QBs if he did not like Stidham or Cam. Why not try Rosen on the roster? In 2000 he carried 4 QBs because he felt he had to find someone. If the 3 QBs on the roster are not viable, why has BB not tried something else? He is always cycling guys through at every position if he needs someone.

Cam is a vet who had success in the league who came dirt cheap. Rosen is a guy who would still be on his rookie contract who has never had success that two team already gave up on because he was abysmal. I think many are assuming that Bill was under the impression he had some QB of the future on this roster or that Bill was up for making big QB moves this year with the cap the way it was. He already had Stidham if he wanted a rough project (and he clearly doesn't want to play Stidham).

The guy Bill is refusing to start now he was willing to roll into the year with until Cam fell out of the sky at a bargain.

In 2000 Bill had Bledsoe and they just drafted Brady and Brady had a champion on the team fighting for him to stay on which convinced Bill to save the spot for him and ultimately Brady quickly moved up. But as far as Bill was concerned he had his longterm QB in Bledsoe and he was just giving Brady a one year chance to justify his existence on the team.

Again we were strapped for cap, everyone said this when Brady's negotiations came up. We ultimately didn't even attempt to offer him something that would get him to stay. Bill has many times referenced that they couldn't make off season moves the way they would like because of cap. This year was about getting rid of cap and setting up a rebuild

If you don’t even want to put Stidham on the field for 2 meaningless games why didn’t you claim josh Rosen off the Miami practice squad any of the past 8 or so weeks??? There is no value in 8-8
Because, as a rule, you can't "claim" players off practice squads involuntarily; they have to want to come to your team. [The only exception is if a team has zero available QBs.]

Edit: the new rule still doesn't allow "swiping" of PS players. What it does is modify the current COVID protocols so that a player who is being tested regularly doesn't have to go through the standard waiting period before joining a new team.

Last edited:
Oh he can be worse.
With Cam:

- no TDs the last 2 games
- has thrown 5 TDs the entire year
- has a passer rating of 79
- has a 1:2 TD to int ratio
- hasn’t thrown for over 210 yds in his last 4 games

Even if Stidham could be this bad, which is nearly impossible, let’s at least find out.

I don't know - I feel like they've made exceptions and paid players in the past for incentives in good faith regardless, so if he felt playing Stidham was what needed to happen, I would have to believe they'd just move forward with that and take care of Cam anyway.
I read an article somewhere this week that said NE recently paid out an unrealized incentive that a player barely missed by tacking on that missed dollar amount to the player's next contract.
If the negotiated CBA states that teams can't simply give players unearned incentive money, and Bill is all about getting Cam the most $$$$ possible now....I can only conclude there will be no "next contract" for Cam in New England.

1608807915421.png

Reactions: Ian
The only reason I can think of for letting Cam play at all—let alone start—is his playtime incentives. Cam needs about one half of play to get to 80% for the season. If he's benched for the remaining two games, he won't reach it. Because he's not under contract for next year, there is no easy way for the Patriots to pay him that incentive if he doesn't earn it himself. [There's no way he can reach the 90% incentive.]
Bingo! We've got Bingo!

This is the reason BB is playing Cam Monday Night. He's doing him a solid. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes