PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

Setting aside my firm belief that Mac is better suited as a mixed doubles partner on a JV community college tennis team than a NFL QB, NE's primary issue that affects the entire offensive operation is the abysmal OL.
The passing offense is dink and dunk now because the OL is patchwork garbage (Why doesn't Peter King connect those dots)
The passing offense displayed competence in 1 game primarily because the Vikings passing defense is bottom two in the NFL.
Opponent quality doesn't matter to King.

I already know the conversations going on between the Krafts and BB.
Robert and son will demand a real OC and a certified OL coach and BB will oblige
BB will seek free agency money to purchase 1 starting OT and he will grab another starting caliber OT in the 1st round of the draft plus an interior piece no later than the 4th.....and the 2023 offense will be pretty much in place with maybe a legit RB finding his way on the roster to replace Harris.
(I'm penciling in Meyers returning)

The team requires a functional OL, pure and simple.
And I truly believe Mac running around the backfield like a chicken without a head vs Buffalo
was his way of showing the football world the dire conditions he faces weekly

I just posted this in the Arizona preview thread, but something that hasn't gotten enough attention is how Patricia has completely abandoned the running game since Harris went down. Stevenson has carried the ball 17 times in the last two games despite having 5.1 YPC vs. the Vikes and 5.3 YPC vs, the Bills. In total, the Pats have ran 27 times in the last two games and that includes three runs by Mac Jones.

Don't you think with both the Vikes and Bills having high powered offenses and both dominating the time of possession although the Pats kept the games fairly close early that they would want to run the ball a little more to keep the ball out of Josh Allen's and Kirk Cousin's hands? Hell, the Pats were protecting a lead in the third quarter and going into the fourth (granted a three point lead) and not running the ball.
Ferentz, Cajuste, McDermott and an ill Trent Brown might be the greatest factor in all of this.

Matt Patricia is probably best suited to the Ernie role at this point, looking around the league at trends and figuring out how best to take advantage of situations

Ferentz, Cajuste, McDermott and an ill Trent Brown might be the greatest factor in all of this.

It is one thing to try and fail with a depleted line, but you have to at least try to run the ball no matter how bad the o-line was. Besides, we saw that Stevenson can make plays himself.

Matt Patricia is probably best suited to the Ernie role at this point, looking around the league at trends and figuring out how best to take advantage of situations
Agree but TBH I was OK with Matt as a DC. People gave him a lot of crap for playing soft and cautious but once he got a shut down CB (Talib, Revis, Malcolm and Gilly in 2017) his defenses ( BBs) were pretty good.

Depth was always a concern along the OL, but I thought they would at least be a solid unit like last year. Now they're a complete mess.
Let Karras walk. Fine. But as Captain Stone says you don’t replace him. Then you overdraft a small school rookie who is going to have a learning curve. But you ignore that and have him taught by a green Oline coach.

The errors and mistakes are piled on each other.

And feeling confident in backup Ferentz, who can get too easily overmatched is another head scratcher.

Should have brought in a veteran or two in the offseason. Not a desperation move with Narcus Cannon.

Is Cannon done with the season and his career?

If I were the Krafts, I would have some d----d pointed questions for [Belichick], the sort of question where if you don't have a d---d good answer, you're in trouble.
Uh huh. This.

The OL being banged up, and not great to begin with even when the starters are healthy, is an issue.
This point in the season most teams have injuries to the line. That’s why depth is so important.

One of the mistakes is not bringing in a veteran or two to provide that.

We took a looksy on Ryan Bates who started with the Bills on Thursday. He was a restricted free agent. Chicago offered him, but the Bills matched.

Bringing him aboard—he had been a backup for the Bills with position flexibility and good play when on the field—was a dang GM mistake by Belichick. We could have outbid Buffalo.

Only two after the Marcus Jones TD. Just terrible play calling.

I expect our OC to make adjustments in the desert, calling his best game of the season.

We’ll get to see Jonnu Smith go over 200 yards receiving! He’s our $50 million TE, doncha know.

Strange69 is healthy, but in No way, shape or form was he worth THE ****ING 29TH ****ING OVERALL ****ING PICK IN THE ENTIRE ****ING DRAFT
Yes. But we had to. The Rams were going to take him at 104. MacVay said so himself in a moment of letting his guard down possibly after hoisting up too many Buds.

Bill O'Brien is cut from the same cloth as Patricia and Judge. Hardasses who failed on their own cuz players can't relate to them. I wonder, if you look at NE's sloppy play this year, if the players are tuning out Belichick now? Bringing O'Brien back plugs the leak, but is it really setting up the team for longer-term success? I think the Pats need to evolve their approach forward, rather than trying to bring back the glory days with retreads.

Here's where the nepotism might have come into play. Is Patricia on the other side of the ball now to avoid having him on his sons' turf? ;)

I think that's EXACTLY the reason why Phatt Matt's on this side of the LOS now.

I'm to the point that I'd rather risk it with a new, young blood, offensive guy than any re-tread.
Look at all the young guys in the NFL who are making a difference - even Mike LaFleur at the Jets, and Ken Dorsey at the Bills, and O'connell as HC. It's time to move on from the old guard of BB's circle. I'm actually done with JMD, Patricia, or his sons too.
It's taken me a long time to get here, but I think Jon Kraft needs to start over with a new regime. 23 years is a long time to coach at one place. it can't last forever.

I'm to the point that I'd rather risk it with a new, young blood, offensive guy than any re-tread.
Look at all the young guys in the NFL who are making a difference - even Mike LaFleur at the Jets, and Ken Dorsey at the Bills, and O'connell as HC. It's time to move on from the old guard of BB's circle. I'm actually done with JMD, Patricia, or his sons too.
It's taken me a long time to get here, but I think Jon Kraft needs to start over with a new regime. 23 years is a long time to coach at one place. it can't last forever.
Yes. We need a new guard in coaching and I would be fine having a new OC who takes over from bill in 2024 .

If bill doesn't accept, force retirement on bill and get the new person in 2023 itself.

On a side note Alex Tanney would make a good QB coach . We need to poach from eagles.

Last edited:
These next 5 games will tell us a lot. Bob cut the cord with Carroll as they were on a steady decline and dysfunctional by 1999 and this looks like they are going down that path again 23 years later.

If they having another losing record in December, this will be year 4 including one with Tom Brady they've gone on the December slide.

These next 5 games will tell us a lot. Bob cut the cord with Carroll as they were on a steady decline and dysfunctional by 1999 and this looks like they are going down that path again 23 years later.

If they having another losing record in December, this will be year 4 including one with Tom Brady they've gone on the December slide.
Hes not going to fire Bill, he chose Bill over Tom...Hes not losing both of them within 3 years of each other. He needs to stand his ground

Hes not going to fire Bill, he chose Bill over Tom...Hes not losing both of them within 3 years of each other. He needs to stand his ground
Yeah I'd be pretty shocked if it really happened, but Bob has to have that talk with him again he had after 2020.

I really think its time for BB to retire. He's lost it! Keeping Patricia as OC is stupid.

I would've roll my eyes at this a month or two ago, but at this point it makes a lot of sense. He's just not the same, not at all. I'll loudly and happily celebrate his accomplishments when the time comes. But it really does look like it's over. I'm retired. My last couple years of work, I could tell I wasn't quite what I had been. Bill needs to see this in himself. It's sad and it's hard, but it's life. Don't gloat, youngsters, lol: it comes to all.

I would've roll my eyes at this a month or two ago, but at this point it makes a lot of sense. He's just not the same, not at all. I'll loudly and happily celebrate his accomplishments when the time comes. But it really does look like it's over. I'm retired. My last couple years of work, I could tell I wasn't quite what I had been. Bill needs to see this in himself. It's sad and it's hard, but it's life. Don't gloat, youngsters, lol: it comes to all.
not me...I'm in my prime...

Agree but TBH I was OK with Matt as a DC. People gave him a lot of crap for playing soft and cautious but once he got a shut down CB (Talib, Revis, Malcolm and Gilly in 2017) his defenses ( BBs) were pretty good.
Totally agree. People complaining about #1 defenses are just wild.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back