PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

I just posted this in the Arizona preview thread, but something that hasn't gotten enough attention is how Patricia has completely abandoned the running game since Harris went down. Stevenson has carried the ball 17 times in the last two games despite having 5.1 YPC vs. the Vikes and 5.3 YPC vs, the Bills. In total, the Pats have ran 27 times in the last two games and that includes three runs by Mac Jones.

Don't you think with both the Vikes and Bills having high powered offenses and both dominating the time of possession although the Pats kept the games fairly close early that they would want to run the ball a little more to keep the ball out of Josh Allen's and Kirk Cousin's hands? Hell, the Pats were protecting a lead in the third quarter and going into the fourth (granted a three point lead) and not running the ball.

The bottom line is we're going to need a "true full time offensive coordinator" next year. I think BOB will make a great choice. Any thoughts on him? Bring him back to reunite with Mac?

The question is whether Belichick wants to go with the offense they tried to install in the preseason or willing to go back with what worked with McDaniels and build on that. If it is the former, then O'Brien and Mac are probably the wrong fit for this team.

Multiple people including Dan Orlofsky have said that Mac should not ask but demand a trade if Bill can’t show he has a solid plan in place going forward. Greg Hill show mentioned others could follow on offense. I highly doubt it happens as most players are afraid to do this for whatever reason.

The bottom line is we're going to need a "true full time offensive coordinator" next year. I think BOB will make a great choice. Any thoughts on him? Bring him back to reunite with Mac?

He's #1 on my list of possibly available OCs.

The question is whether Belichick wants to go with the offense they tried to install in the preseason or willing to go back with what worked with McDaniels and build on that. If it is the former, then O'Brien and Mac are probably the wrong fit for this team.

The offense they tried to install during the preseason seems the wrong fit... Nothing wrong with scanning the league to see what's new and what's working and adding those wrinkles to the game plan; but they instead attempted to scrap most of what they already had, which makes adding new wrinkles almost impossible...

Multiple people including Dan Orlofsky have said that Mac should not ask but demand a trade if Bill can’t show he has a solid plan in place going forward. Greg Hill show mentioned others could follow on offense. I highly doubt it happens as most players are afraid to do this for whatever reason.

Entertaining the hypothetical of a lack of a plan (saying hypothetically because I simply have no idea what's going on), I'm not sure Mac has the leverage to demand a trade. I can see why Mac would want to do that in that situation, but Mac has - unfortunately - not produced enough to demand a trade and be placed as a starter on another team. Unless there are teams that are so hungry that they'd fork over an inordinate amount of capital for a player on a team that wouldn't be too tempted to trade given the cheap hit of his rookie contract.

Just my two cents, I could be wrong.

Jones would have no leverage to demand a trade. But I have no doubt whether he turns around his career and becomes a good QB or he goes into bust category, Jones is going to bolt from New England the first chance he gets. At least assuming the current regime is in charge.

Jones would have no leverage to demand a trade. But I have no doubt whether he turns around his career and becomes a good QB or he goes into bust category, Jones is going to bolt from New England the first chance he gets. At least assuming the current regime is in charge.
Not sure about this. If your starting QB publicly states that he doesn't want to play for you any more, he can't be a leader of the team. You'd have to move him.

Not sure about this. If your starting QB publicly states that he doesn't want to play for you any more, he can't be a leader of the team. You'd have to move him.

First of all, I don't think Jones is the type of guy to demand a trade like that.

Second of all, Belichick isn't the type of coach who gives into trade demands and hasn't in the past.

My guess is that if Belichick sides with Patricia (which I cannot fathom he would at this point) is that the Pats will want to move on from Jones. There has to be a major change this offseason and it is either Jones or Patricia.

From Peter King's article this morning:

Goat of the week

Matt Patricia, assistant coach, Patriots.
Not because Mac Jones yelled either at him or out of frustration Thursday night in the 24-10 loss to the Bills, or because offensive players subtly questioned Patricia’s play-calling after the game. But because the Patriots have developed zero downfield passing game, with nobody remotely threatening the secondary. Against the Bills, just seven of Mac Jones’ 36 passes went 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage or farther. You could argue that Jones—who completed just one of those seven throws—didn’t play well enough to deserve the trust of Patricia to throw to intermediate and deep areas. What I would say is Jones, the previous week against Minnesota, had completions of 26, 34, 16, 14, 37 and 40 yards on throws 10 yards or more past the line of scrimmage. The Buffalo game was a regression of major proportions. Patricia needed to build on the Minnesota game and did not.

9. I think Robert Kraft, who is 81 and will enter his 30th year of Patriots ownership in 2023, is not in this to rebuild deliberately. He has to be looking at the dung-show on the Patriots’ offensive staff and wondering why Belichick left the offense so wanting this year. Anyway, I can’t see anything weird happening this year. But I have my antennae up about the Patriots for 2023.

Yup. It's PATHETIC. But that's the harsh reality. The Patriots are also 31st in Red Zone efficiency according to a stat brought up by the announcer during the Bills game. Matt Patricia and Joe Judge have run this offense into the ground. Mac Jones looks really bad right now and he's not happy about it either, thus his request to be "coached harder". In other words the Patriots offense is sinking like the Titanic hitting the iceberg.

I'd say BB has a hot mess on his hands, a mess of his own making I might add. But it's doubtful he'll do any fixing until the offseason when he really NEEDS to hire a real OC and QB coach to repair this DISASTER and embarrassment of an offense.

Yup. It's PATHETIC. But that's the harsh reality. The Patriots are also 31st in Red Zone efficiency according to a stat brought up by the announcer during the Bills game. Matt Patricia and Joe Judge have run this offense into the ground. Mac Jones looks really bad right now and he's not happy about it either, thus his request to be "coached harder". In other words the Patriots offense is sinking like the Titanic hitting the iceberg.

I'd say BB has a hot mess on his hands, a mess of his own making I might add. But it's doubtful he'll do any fixing until the offseason when he really NEEDS to hire a real OC and QB coach to repair this DISASTER and embarrassment of an offense.
i can't imagine BB giving Patricia a Pass after 1 season and signing a new OC.

From Peter King's article this morning:

Goat of the week

Matt Patricia, assistant coach, Patriots.
Not because Mac Jones yelled either at him or out of frustration Thursday night in the 24-10 loss to the Bills, or because offensive players subtly questioned Patricia’s play-calling after the game. But because the Patriots have developed zero downfield passing game, with nobody remotely threatening the secondary.
Said this all season, we don't have this for at least 3 years now. There is no outside WR we really can rely on constantly beating man coverage and threaten a defense deep. We also don't have a QB with the arm and deep throw accuracy.
Just look at the database here and see the completions from Mac on outside throws >10 yards. He isn't good in this area. Not enough zip and power on those throws.
Against the Bills, just seven of Mac Jones’ 36 passes went 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage or farther. You could argue that Jones—who completed just one of those seven throws—didn’t play well enough to deserve the trust of Patricia to throw to intermediate and deep areas. What I would say is Jones, the previous week against Minnesota, had completions of 26, 34, 16, 14, 37 and 40 yards on throws 10 yards or more past the line of scrimmage. The Buffalo game was a regression of major proportions. Patricia needed to build on the Minnesota game and did not.

9. I think Robert Kraft, who is 81 and will enter his 30th year of Patriots ownership in 2023, is not in this to rebuild deliberately. He has to be looking at the dung-show on the Patriots’ offensive staff and wondering why Belichick left the offense so wanting this year. Anyway, I can’t see anything weird happening this year. But I have my antennae up about the Patriots for 2023.

Pats NFL team scoring percentage 2021 - 7th. This year they are currently ranked 32nd (Last). I wonder what went into BB's thinking when he thought that it would be possible to replace McDaniels with Patricia? Also, I don't blame Patricia for all of the problems because it was BB's decision to make him the play caller.

That's Mac Jones not throwing those guys under the bus and using the tried and true 'coach speak' aka say nothing that gets you in trouble. And he's not exactly dumb, he probably realizes that changes to the offense aren't likely to happen until next season, when BB can actually hire new coaches. Mac Jones knows he still has to work with those guys every day until this season is over. Hard to work with them if he openly throws them under that bus to the media. Any reasonable reading between the lines reveals how he really feels. "I want to be coached harder. I want to be a better player… I didn’t do my best tonight… I’ll go until the wheels fall off."

Now if Mac Jones had the cachet of an Aaron Rodgers he wouldn't hesitate to throw them under the bus and demand changes, but he's still just a second year player. He still has to toe the line, for now.

Pats NFL team scoring percentage 2021 - 7th. This year they are currently ranked 32nd (Last). I wonder what went into BB's thinking when he thought that it would be possible to replace McDaniels with Patricia? Also, I don't blame Patricia for all of the problems because it was BB's decision to make him the play caller.
Here's where the nepotism might have come into play. Is Patricia on the other side of the ball now to avoid having him on his sons' turf? ;)

7th with a rookie QB. Wow. And now dead last.

We had a good run. Thanks for the memories, BB and TB.

It’s gross negligence. Why wouldn’t they?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back