PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

The Diaz slide has me rolling.

But him not featuring not even in the Redzone? He is NEVER around....

If you can humour me, how hard it can be to deploy 2 TE's well? It's not rocket science

Maybe there is an undisclosed problem with him, physical or similar to Bourne, i'm wildly speculating here, but if it's indeed just "We dont know how to use our best assets", boy oh boy
All I'm saying is that there are more receivers on the field than there are TEs

But him not featuring not even in the Redzone? He is NEVER around....

If you can humour me, how hard it can be to deploy 2 TE's well? It's not rocket science

Maybe there is an undisclosed problem with him, physical or similar to Bourne, i'm wildly speculating here, but if it's indeed just "We dont know how to use our best assets", boy oh boy
HH's absence this year as been odd to say the least. It's like the kid who loves a toy and plays with it all year then gets a new toy and the old one is shoved in the back of the closet never to be seen again. Parker seems to be the guy in the red zone this year. I don’t think HH was even on the field on that second and long draw play.

One thing about the 2016 defense under Patricia, it gave up under 20 points in 2 playoff games until the Super Bowl.

And they gave up 21 points to a Falcons offense that is still top 10 in NFL history.

"The 2016 Falcons were incredibly dominant on offense in the regular season and playoffs as well. The 2016 Falcons were the kings by a massive margin. Atlanta’s offense managed 540 points, which led the league and outpaced the second-place team by 71 and the third-place team by 99."

Last 10 games the Patriots gave up: 17, 17, 10, 23, 3, 3, 14, 16, 17, 21. And that's why they were #1.

I can't judge Patricia as an offensive mind. I think he's good at playcalling. But may be bad at play design. But as a defensive coach, he was very very good.

Last edited:
Josh Allen was explicitly drafted as a high risk high reward project QB out of a nowhere school
Wyoming isn’t that marginal. Some Cowboys may take offense to that.

Only a few things I can hate on Patricia for yesterday. The draw on 3rd and long was a brutal call, and forced them into a 4th down attempt that killed the drive. That’s one example. But the problem yesterday was Mac… not Fat Matt. He’s predetermining where he’s going with the ball too much, which led to two INTs yesterday.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought draw set up a potential long field goal and then they went for it anyway. I think it was between 50-55 yards but I could be misremembering the exact field position.

Fat Matt needs to go back to his roots and think how he used to keep offenses on the field.

Offense has been absolute disappointment, get a better play caller. The offense just doesn’t get things done and keeps putting defense in terrible situations.

I think part of Macs regression is because Patricia is clueless on how to run the offense. Mac hasn’t looked comfortable this season and it’s most likely because Patricia keeps putting him in terrible situations. Now expect Mac to be out for an extended period of time.

Hunter Henry went MIA, and it’s most likely because Patricia doesn’t know how to use tight ends.
Fat Matt and Judge was over their heads when things got tight but they don't actually throw the football that's MacPicks job. What IF the Offense runs efficiently with Hoyer or Zappe will there be a QB Controv?? Let me go on record and say MacPicks is not the guy.

Coming to grips with Mac's talent is no different than processing the reality of Santa Claus.
The truth hurts
But we cling to the illusion for as long as we can anyway

Nba Playoffs GIF by NBA
Bill Belichick Wink GIF by New England Patriots
Great minds think alike Borgie don't tell that to the Blind IBWT Homers:rofl: though its's a kick in the gut.

I think the answer was already posted. They are asking him to do too much AND things that are not his characteristics....

This 50/50 ball crap was not a Pats philosophy before. And is a head scratcher now.

Maybe this new offense would be better received if it was an actual O.C. who was teaching it.

That first int where Mac once again forced it to Parker. Harris was wide open in the flat. He wouldn't of forced it to the receiver last year. He would of checked down...

I am all for being a little daring here and there but this seems too wreckless..we don't have the horses and coaching staff for this new philosophy

The coaching staff can keep holding onto the excuse "it's a process" and some fans can keep eating that up..

But BB being who he is and failing at drafting play makers on offense...i would say do not expect much going into the future...

It's interesting that New England played Baltimore yesterday which has caused a lot of the angst on this board. Because I watched a Ravens team that played super efficiently. They were not a home run team. They went down the field methodically. On defense, they have the hogs up front. This is an example of a team with an identity, a team with coaching consistency and good coaches.

AND yet, would people be shocked to realize that the Ravens have only won TWO playoff games in the last 9 years?

Look at their overall record for 6 of these seasons: 8-8, 5-11, 8-8, 9-7, 8-9. They made the playoffs 4x, and in Lamar Jackson's MVP year they went 14-2, grabbed a top seed, and then... lost to the Titans in their first game.

Do you think the coaching staff would be at risk of being fired after this? That's 5 bad to middling seasons out of 9. 2 playoff wins.

What would you do?

That first int where Mac once again forced it to Parker. Harris was wide open in the flat. He wouldn't of forced it to the receiver last year. He would of checked down...
By the way, Parker was at the podium and said they crossed signals and he ran the wrong route on that INT. Zolak is on the radio saying Parker ran the wrong route. He was supposed to be deep in the corner. He broke it inside instead and then adjusted when he saw the ball.

It was too late. That looked bad on Mac but...

Zolak thought that was NOT a bad INT, and Zolak was very willing to grill Mac on the other INTs, especially the first one underneath. Zolak said he is very concerned about Mac not seeing the underneath stuff, BUT the one in the end zone to Parker was not on Mac.

Fat Matt needs to go back to his roots and think how he used to keep offenses on the field.
Both Fat Matt and Judge will be coordinators for life it's sad that we and Mac have to suffer through their out of position stints.

By the way, Parker was at the podium and said they crossed signals and he ran the wrong route on that INT. Zolak is on the radio saying Parker ran the wrong route. He was supposed to be deep in the corner. He broke it inside instead and then adjusted when he saw the ball.

It was too late. That looked bad on Mac but...

Zolak thought that was NOT a bad INT, and Zolak was very willing to grill Mac on the other INTs, especially the first one underneath. Zolak said he is very concerned about Mac not seeing the underneath stuff, BUT the one in the end zone to Parker was not on Mac.

Making my point. Even if Parker ran the wrong route. Mac never went through his reads like he would of last year. Like what was one of the reasons why they drafted him. And seems to be not what this new offense is about..

When exactly do we look for Hunter Henry, Mac and him had a good thing going on last season especially in the endzone...now it's throwing 50/50 balls to Parker because it's Patricia guy and what the offense so far ask for..

Making my point. Even if Parker ran the wrong route. Mac never went through his reads like he would of last year. Like what was one of the reasons why they drafted him. And seems to be not what this new offense is about..

When exactly do we look for Hunter Henry, Mac and him had a good thing going on last season especially in the endzone...how it's throwing 50/50 ball Parker because it's Patricia guy and what the offense so far ask for..
*Ding* *ding* that's Mac's problem this year: there should be four possible receivers on every play but Mac is determined to go to his predetermined First Read with his Binky WR out.

It's interesting that New England played Baltimore yesterday which has caused a lot of the angst on this board. Because I watched a Ravens team that played super efficiently. They were not a home run team. They went down the field methodically. On defense, they have the hogs up front. This is an example of a team with an identity, a team with coaching consistency and good coaches.

AND yet, would people be shocked to realize that the Ravens have only won TWO playoff games in the last 9 years?

Look at their overall record for 6 of these seasons: 8-8, 5-11, 8-8, 9-7, 8-9. They made the playoffs 4x, and in Lamar Jackson's MVP year they went 14-2, grabbed a top seed, and then... lost to the Titans in their first game.

Do you think the coaching staff would be at risk of being fired after this? That's 5 bad to middling seasons out of 9. 2 playoff wins.

What would you do?

This "angst" you speak of is not a result of just yesterday's game. This angst has gone on all year with BBs off season moves. The one thing the Ravens did that it seems the patriots have gotten away from is. The minute they drafted Lamar Jackson they tailored the offense around him. Miami got receivers for Tua. The Jags got a QB coach to run the team for Lawrence. The patriots as of right now have not put the team nor Mac in a good position. That's the true reason for the angst. And many have felt this way, waaaaay before this game.

One thing about the 2016 defense under Patricia, it gave up under 20 points in 2 playoff games until the Super Bowl.

And they gave up 21 points to a Falcons offense that is still top 10 in NFL history.

"The 2016 Falcons were incredibly dominant on offense in the regular season and playoffs as well. The 2016 Falcons were the kings by a massive margin. Atlanta’s offense managed 540 points, which led the league and outpaced the second-place team by 71 and the third-place team by 99."

Last 10 games the Patriots gave up: 17, 17, 10, 23, 3, 3, 14, 16, 17, 21. And that's why they were #1.

I can't judge Patricia as an offensive mind. I think he's good at playcalling. But may be bad at play design. But as a defensive coach, he was very very good.

Brian Flores was better and the team defensively played better when B. Flores was the D.C. just saying....

I'm not a huge fan of Matt Patricia however Mac made too many HUGE mistakes.
*IF* Mac truly is the QB of the future, hopefully he will learn from all of this.

I'm not a huge fan of Matt Patricia however Mac made too many HUGE mistakes.
*IF* Mac truly is the QB of the future, hopefully he will learn from all of this.
And you can learn a lot by sitting and watching.
Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back