PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

Hunter Henry's absence is extremely gross and weird and I don't have a defense for that. What the **** is going on with him?
They are going to 3 WRs and even 4

Mac's design making has regressed. He could use good, dedicated QB coach. Anyone else here remember early Brady tossing 4 picks in a loss to Denver? As a Day One Brady guy I remember the piling on of the we shoulda kept Bledsoe fans. Not saying that Mac has anything near the potential of Brady but putting things in perspective.

I agree.

They drafted Mac to be a system QB, like Brady 2001. Then they change the system with on the job training coaches, including MP. Then they ask Mac to do more like Mahomes, Lamar, Allen, guys who had good OCs, QB coaches; guys who are superior athletes. Then we all wonder why he’s regressing.

That said, I expected him to be in a bit better shape and to toughen up in year 2. Injury aside, not sure that happened.
Allen's first couple of years were nothing to write home about: 30 TDs and 21 INTs. It took him 3 years to come on strong.

Mac's design making has regressed. He could use good, dedicated QB coach. Anyone else here remember early Brady tossing 4 picks in a loss to Denver? As a Day One Brady guy I remember the piling on of the we shoulda kept Bledsoe fans. Not saying that Mac has anything near the potential of Brady but putting things in perspective.
I remember the 4 INT game but Brady even had a 3 INT game the following year as well.

I'm not expecting Mac to ever become close to Brady.

But you're absolutely right to note Brady needed seasoning.

I hope Mac starts watching Brees and Peyton Manning, because he really is in that mode of play much more so than Brady.

Lets see what happens with Hoyer or Zappe before firing Patricia.

#1 You realize Patricia headed the top defense in the NFL when he was here.

Top as in #1.
Like I said, overrated. I don’t recall anyone shedding a tear when he left and was actually welcomed by a large swath of fans. Flores was the real deal.

Jones rushed it. A moment longer and he would have seen Parker open who would have walked in for a TD.

It's funny that people think that Patricia called a play to a guy that if Meyers was active probably would have seen half the snaps he did and not the guy that had something like a 30 yard catch average in the game.
The bottom line is that was the play call. Screen to Bourne and that’s what Mac ran. This ‘what if’ scenario of if he just ignored the play call and waited to see Parker be open scenario is a stretch of an excuse.

I haven't been high on this Matty P experiment. But what I saw yesterday was attacking, throwing downfield and intermixing the run where I believe it made sense (for the first time in a while, eh hem - JMD). The failure wasn't the play calling. Or even the scheme. It was too many errors by the players. OL got beat a lot, Mac made some bad passes (he's still on his 20th start), and Agholor's fumble was the final nail. We were legitimately in position to win until that fumble. So relax. Mac threw a bad 3rd INT in desperation mode/garbage time. That didn't matter. What matters is that Campbell crushed him like a can, and now we have to start over for the next 2 months.

Allen's first couple of years were nothing to write home about: 30 TDs and 21 INTs. It took him 3 years to come on strong.
Yeah 3 years AND a ELITE receiver named Diggs.

I can't understand this phenomenon. Patritia during his 2 year trip in Detroit made them one of the worst teams in the entire league. And...as a reward got promoted to New England.
Maybe it is time for new blood, someone with a fresh ideas.
People want to keep crapping on Patricia and rightly so but it is Bill who brought him back, Bill who made him in charge of play calling, and Bill who lets him hold petty grudges for a month at the detriment of the offense. In the end of the day the buck stops with Bill. I know I will get blown up for saying it but things may be starting to pass Bill by. The league is shifting towards younger and more innovative offensive minded coaches and Bill decided to bring in a retread who was a defensive coach. Not only that a lot of Lions hated Patricia when he was in Detroit and he got rid of some of their better players while the team regressed each year he was there. So while Patricia deserves all the heat he is getting Bill somehow gets to skate while everyone aims at Patricia.

He may not be regressing but asking him to do too much.
What does this even mean? They're asking him to play the QB position in the NFL. By all accounts he was the most NFL ready QB out of the draft. He had a good season last year. This year not so much. That's called regression. It's not like they're asking him to run the ball like a RB.

Josh Allen was explicitly drafted as a high risk high reward project QB out of a nowhere school that shouldn’t have worked out but it did. That is NOT how Mac was coming out of Bama and it’s dishonest to compare him to that in order to make him sound better.

People want to keep crapping on Patricia and rightly so but it is Bill who brought him back, Bill who made him in charge of play calling, and Bill who lets him hold petty grudges for a month at the detriment of the offense. In the end of the day the buck stops with Bill. I know I will get blown up for saying it but things may be starting to pass Bill by. The league is shifting towards younger and more innovative offensive minded coaches and Bill decided to bring in a retread who was a defensive coach. Not only that a lot of Lions hated Patricia when he was in Detroit and he got rid of some of their better players while the team regressed each year he was there. So while Patricia deserves all the heat he is getting Bill somehow gets to skate while everyone aims at Patricia.
Possible. Happens to even the greatest coaches and Bill wouldn't be the first. Felt the same way about Don Shula in the twilight of his days with the Dolphins.

Only a few things I can hate on Patricia for yesterday. The draw on 3rd and long was a brutal call, and forced them into a 4th down attempt that killed the drive. That’s one example. But the problem yesterday was Mac… not Fat Matt. He’s predetermining where he’s going with the ball too much, which led to two INTs yesterday.

They are going to 3 WRs and even 4
But him not featuring not even in the Redzone? He is NEVER around....

If you can humour me, how hard it can be to deploy 2 TE's well? It's not rocket science

Maybe there is an undisclosed problem with him, physical or similar to Bourne, i'm wildly speculating here, but if it's indeed just "We dont know how to use our best assets", boy oh boy

Pats fans have little idea how much Patricia was hated by Detroit fans near the end.

His decisions and the rift that developed between the team and him became apparent.

Now they have Dan Campbell who admits publicly his mistake in a game-time decision, something very unBelichickian.

Continuing to play Tavai when he plainly lacked coverage skills and made incorrect reads was a lightening rod in Detroit.

It will become one here, too.

What does this even mean? They're asking him to play the QB position in the NFL. By all accounts he was the most NFL ready QB out of the draft. He had a good season last year. This year not so much. That's called regression. It's not like they're asking him to run the ball like a RB.
Read my other post.

Pats fans have little idea how much Patricia was hated by Detroit fans near the end.

His decisions and the rift that developed between the team and him became apparent.

Now they have Dan Campbell who admits publicly his mistake in a game-time decision, something very unBelichickian.

Continuing to play Tavai when he plainly lacked coverage skills and made incorrect reads was a lightening rod in Detroit.

It will become one here, too.
He traded away Darius Slay and Quandre Diggs and pissed off lots of other players along the way. Him and his weird quote where he took credit for Butler's interception in SB49. The "sit up straight and respect the process" nonsense to the reporter from a guy who looks like a slob pretty much every time I have ever seen him. He has an overinflated ego and it is hurting the team at this point.

Only a few things I can hate on Patricia for yesterday. The draw on 3rd and long was a brutal call, and forced them into a 4th down attempt that killed the drive. That’s one example. But the problem yesterday was Mac… not Fat Matt. He’s predetermining where he’s going with the ball too much, which led to two INTs yesterday.
I believe Bill called the draw as he fully intended to go for it on 4th down on 3rd down and wanted a shorter distance.

Hating the play call is fine but that was the logic.

Like I said, overrated. I don’t recall anyone shedding a tear when he left and was actually welcomed by a large swath of fans. Flores was the real deal.
I like #1 defenses.

I like Super Bowl wins as well.

I'm not going to complain about these things ever.

The fact that people complained shows the delusions under which they live .

There is nothing, absolutely nothing wrong, with Super Bowl wins and #1 defenses.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back