PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

The offense is a conglomeration of issues. The OL being banged up, and not great to begin with even when the starters are healthy, is an issue.

We’re spending nearly $24M in cap space on two TEs that have given us a total of 2 TDs so far this season. None of our wideouts put the fear of God into the defense. Nobody is moving that other safety deep consistently to account for a game-breaker. I liked the fact that Jones saw time on offense last night and they drafted Thornton for his speed before simplifying the offense. So the latter’s lack of use, even if it’s just a shovel pass to get him the ball in space, is kind-boggling.

Mac hasn’t proven to be anything more than a mid starter in this league, either. It APPEARS as if he’s mentally soft still. Visibly pouts when something doesn’t go his way, runs way too hot, etc. But now, I’m also thinking he is physically soft. I was willing to give the slide before the first down marker last week a pass, but he did it again last night when the team could have used a tough leadership play. Lower your shoulder and fight. He’s also visibly skittish when the pocket begins to collapse, which was one of the big knocks on him at Bolles when he played here, locally. That’s why he was only a 3* recruit. But one could also blame that on his frame… previously.

Now we get to Fat Matt. He’s not an OC. That’s about as simple as I can make it. The offense did not need to change a lick from what has worked for two decades. Even given what I just said about Mac, he was a fit in the more traditional version of the E-P we were running. Patricia, as is often the case with “geniuses” out-thought himself and, for some reason, Bill listened. The offense is simplified and, because of that, it’s highly predictable. Is there any doubt that the ball is going to Meyers on a slant or a crosser, or to Rham on an out in key passing situations? I’ve already mentioned the lack of creativity with Thornton. His issues are exacerbated by what he has to work with as a play caller.

The only consistent bright spot on that side of the ball is Rham. Fat Matt has been bad. A fish out of water. But it’s unfair to put it all on him. This just isn’t a good offense. Look back to last year under McDaniels. Aside from a 50-point output against the the worst team in the league, the highest point total in the last quarter of the season was 24 points. After the Titans game, Mac and the offense got figured out based on what they put on tape, and we’ve seen more of the same this season unless we’re playing a bad pass defense.

Now we get to Fat Matt. He’s not an OC. That’s about as simple as I can make it. The offense did not need to change a lick from what has worked for two decades. Even given what I just said about Mac, he was a fit in the more traditional version of the E-P we were running. Patricia, as is often the case with “geniuses” out-thought himself and, for some reason, Bill listened. The offense is simplified and, because of that, it’s highly predictable. Is there any doubt that the ball is going to Meyers on a slant or a crosser, or to Rham on an out in key passing situations? I’ve already mentioned the lack of creativity with Thornton. His issues are exacerbated by what he has to work with as a play caller
I don’t disagree with the premise that Patricia is not an OC but I disagree with the reasoning.

To be fair, the offense changing is not on Patricia. It’s 100% Bill decision to change the offense. Patricia is not making the gameplan alone. Every offensive gameplan is approved by Bill. I blame Bill way more than Patricia. Patricia is not good but he has been put in a horrible situation by Bill. The biggest knock I have on Patricia is not saying no when Bill ask him to be the OC.

Second, players are responsible too. It’s too easy to put everything on Patricia. Every game there is plays to be made and the players don’t make it. That’s not on Patricia. When Mac is locking on his first read and hold onto the ball while a player is wide open for the first down. It’s not on Patricia. When OLinemen can’t win their matchup with the DL it’s not on Patricia. At some point players need to execute. We are lacking a lot in that category also.

Bourne is talking a lot but I guess it’s Patricia fault when he drops the ball or fumble.

The OC needs to call the game from upstairs. Being on the sideline isn't working. If you run the stats comparing offenses around the league with OCs on the field versus upstairs, I'm sure you will see a huge difference. This HAS to be the problem. Easy fix!

They couldn't find a chair big enough for Patricia in the booth...

I don't put much on the players. Patricia's lack of playcalling ability does not put them in a position to succeed. I don't blame Mac for not having the confidence to even think about looking to a second read.

I don’t disagree with the premise that Patricia is not an OC but I disagree with the reasoning.

To be fair, the offense changing is not on Patricia. It’s 100% Bill decision to change the offense. Patricia is not making the gameplan alone. Every offensive gameplan is approved by Bill. I blame Bill way more than Patricia. Patricia is not good but he has been put in a horrible situation by Bill. The biggest knock I have on Patricia is not saying no when Bill ask him to be the OC.

I blamed Bill accordingly for approving it. But the idea came from Patricia and/or Judge.

Second, players are responsible too. It’s too easy to put everything on Patricia. Every game there is plays to be made and the players don’t make it. That’s not on Patricia. When Mac is locking on his first read and hold onto the ball while a player is wide open for the first down. It’s not on Patricia. When OLinemen can’t win their matchup with the DL it’s not on Patricia. At some point players need to execute. We are lacking a lot in that category also.

Bourne is talking a lot but I guess it’s Patricia fault when he drops the ball or fumble.

I also analyzed the offensive roster accordingly.

I blamed Bill accordingly for approving it. But the idea came from Patricia and/or Judge.

I also analyzed the offensive roster accordingly.

The execution leaves a lot to be desired too. That’s on everybody and that’s what happens when your team is rudderless and not on the same page.

How does he have this guy and given him 1 carry all season? Don't give me ****ing pass blocking as an excuse. You don't need to pass block when you are running the ball

Also go draft or sign the best FB in the offseason, Mondre would be that much better if he had a lead blocker taking on a guy for him

The fish rots from the head down. This is all on Belichick. He put together this staff, and if he's too stubborn egotistical or pig headed to see it's not working and does not take steps to fix it, then it's time for Kraft to say thanks for the memories, and show Bill the door.

You're right about that one... How's 10 points working for ya?
You’re pretending I suggested this offense has been good. I never did.

The most points scored in 2022 came with the other guy playing at QB… coincidence?

More name-calling when your argument sucks... This is getting too easy...
You’re responding to weeks old posts and pretending they were said yesterday… pathetic… in a word.

This 2022 Patriots offense isn't good. Stevenson is a beast but he's still only a running back. I don't hate the WR room at all but their quarterback is middling and neither is good enough to elevate the play of the other. The o-line is not good. The coaching sucks. The bump in production vs Minnesota was all about Minnesota's 31st ranked defense. This Patriots offense isn't going to impress anyone against a formattable defense.

The perfect example of the Patricia fail is they are asking Myers to make people miss and break tackles. They are setting him up as a runner. They did it last night. It was stupid

I am sorry, but they have Bourne, they have the te Jones, they have thorton....why are they doing this with Myers. It makes no sense.

Asked the great Mike Kadlick his thoughts on offensive struggles:

Zappe’s TD percentage is 5.4%, Mac’s is 2.6%.

Zappe’s averages 8.5 yards per pass attempt, Mac’s is 7.3.

Zappe’s QB Rating is 100.9, Mac’s is 87.

Zappe in two starts has two fewer TD’s than Mac has on the entire season.

Don’t blame me, I said they should have rode the hot hand. Mac got sacked once yesterday, it wasn’t the line.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back