PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saints have no cap space and butler wants gilmore $$. And pats have no incentive to trade him unless they get a decent haul

If butler wants top corner money his best bet is to play on the tag and wait until next year when he WILL get gilmore $$ 100%

This all to me reeks of the personal injury lawyer agent whispering in his ear that he deserves gilmore $$ now. Not understanding that RFA drives down his value.

Saints can fit him into their 2017 cap without any problems if they decide to heavily backload the deal. And they have done so many times in the past, which is why they currently have little cap space.

There is also another scenario that is possible.

For example, sometimes when a patient has been 'googling' too much and has been fixated on something, no matter what we tell them they will not accept it. Thus, we send them to a colleague, outside our system to get a 'second opinion'. Frequently that helps.

Maybe BB and company just cannot get MB and agent to understand the current CBA with RFA status, and sending him to NO to visit his 'colleague' and get a second opinion. Probably Peyton and company would have offered him a similar contract to what BB may have last year Minus the value of a draft pick (#32 for example).

Thus MB (and agent) comes back to NE, with a better understanding of contracts, limitations and unfortunately the tradeoff of early contract extension with lower payout, vs waiting, risking injury for a higher payout.

I still believe, that $3.9 million plus franchise tag next year (~$14 million) is very palatable for the Patriots, but it may make Butler unhappy, though getting a guarantee $18 million over two years is really good.

I am always the optimist, but I suspect that the original trade of MB for Cooks is still the net deal.

Regarding cap space.... Teams aren't allowed to trade cap space, of course, yet Cleveland and Houston essentially did just that in the Ossweiler deal. Pats currently have ~$27.5m in cap space per Miguel.

Hypothetically the Saints agree to a 5 year, 60m deal for Butler, but aren't willing to give up #11 for that. They would be willing to give up #32 for it. However, what actually happens is -

- Butler signs that extension with the Pats instead of the Saints
- it's structured as 10m in signing bonus, and annual salaries of 1, 10, 12, 13, 14m respectively.
- pats immediately trade him to the Saints
- saints cap hits only equal the base salaries shown above.
- Pats take a 2m dead money hit in 2017 for the signing bonus and an 8m hit in 2018.
- Saints are now willing to give up #11.

Would that be worth it? It essentially would cost 10m in cap space to move up 21 spots in the first round. Or is this explicitly not allowed, or something that would launch a Goodell assault even if it isn't explicitly banned?

Last edited:
In any case, it really makes no sense to use Samuel as a Butler comp. Butler is a much better and more versatile corner than Samuel ever was. He can play man or zone and doesn't require a safety babysitting him over the top. Any CB for whom that's true is, pretty much by definition, not a system corner.

Agreed, and Butler wouldn't have dropped that interception :cool:

A reminder to me that if the Saints make him an offer that's not insane, I'd rather hte Pats MATCH and keep him than salivate over a #11 pick who won't likely be as good a player as Butler.

I would be happy with the 11th pick but we ain't getting that. You can get a good defensive prospect with the 11th pick but they getting number 32 most likely.

So glad I skipped to the back of this thread. This is a nothingburger without agreed compensation. BB could match too, I guess, but a wasted thread so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the system intended for a restricted free agent was the ability to shop his services around to another team for a higher, long-term contract? Just because it's rare for teams to take the player up on it doesn't mean that isn't what the system is. The Pats have had decent success with that system themselves with Welker and Hogan.

And Emmanuel Sanders went back to Pitt when we underbid. People are only presuming the agent screwed up, maybe it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes