PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building 2017 roster

Is TE really a need still? I am not sure where the roster spot is going to be at this point?

At this point, we have the following filled
4 wrs + Slater + dola possibly
1 fb
2 TEs

Those are all locks. We also are likely keeping three QBs and a likely 9 linemen.

carrying an extra receiving option seems less likely to me than it did before the cooks deal.
Injuries happen. It's always good to have more bodies available per position then you are counting on filling.

Is TE really a need still? I am not sure where the roster spot is going to be at this point?

At this point, we have the following filled
4 wrs + Slater + dola possibly
1 fb
2 TEs

Those are all locks. We also are likely keeping three QBs and a likely 9 linemen.

carrying an extra receiving option seems less likely to me than it did before the cooks deal.

Outside of Gronk and Allen there is no clear #3 option at TE on the roster so I think getting one more player to compete in camp in the draft makes only sense. At this point I wouldn't focus too much on the 53, this is a problem for the end of August and often those things resolve themselves before that point anyhow (cuts, trades, injuries, players emerging..).

Outside of Gronk and Allen there is no clear #3 option at TE on the roster so I think getting one more player to compete in camp in the draft makes only sense. At this point I wouldn't focus too much on the 53, this is a problem for the end of August and often those things resolve themselves before that point anyhow (cuts, trades, injuries, players emerging..).
Seems likely that BB will still bring in a couple of the "usual suspects" to fill out the 90-man roster - low-level UFA, Kamar Aiken type WRs, etc.

I read somewhere that Amendola, right after the SB, had mused about retiring at the end of the 2017 season. He's certain to be asked to slash his 2017 cap hit, so he might retire during those negotiations. Or, he might try to stick around through one more Camp for $2M and retire at that point rather than be cut. While it's certainly possible that he's back on the 2017 53-man, I have a totally unsubstantiated feeling that he won't be.

Seems likely that BB will still bring in a couple of the "usual suspects" to fill out the 90-man roster - low-level UFA, Kamar Aiken type WRs, etc.

I read somewhere that Amendola, right after the SB, had mused about retiring at the end of the 2017 season. He's certain to be asked to slash his 2017 cap hit, so he might retire during those negotiations. Or, he might try to stick around through one more Camp for $2M and retire at that point rather than be cut. While it's certainly possible that he's back on the 2017 53-man, I have a totally unsubstantiated feeling that he won't be.

Howe had a few thoughts about Dola in his recent podcast. He thinks that the Pats might not do anything with his contract until after the draft and maybe even until camp since there is no pressure to do so.

He thinks Dola might want to get some guarantees like last year on a restructured contract essentially making sure he will be on the roster. While the team obviously would prefer tonlet everything play out first.

Definitely a situation to keep an eye on.

So. Rex Burkhead happened.

It seems like Blount is done.

Now, if Burkhead's contract had been, say, +/- $2M APY for 3 years, I'd simply have taken Kareem Hunt and similar RB prospects off my board for the Pats.

But, it's $3.15M for ... just ... one ... year.

And all the Pats RBs, except Foster, will be UFA at the end of the 2017 season.

If Burkhead performs really well, he may be too expensive to retain. If he performs poorly, he may need replacing.

Now what?

So. Rex Burkhead happened.

It seems like Blount is done.

Now, if Burkhead's contract had been, say, +/- $2M APY for 3 years, I'd simply have taken Kareem Hunt and similar RB prospects off my board for the Pats.

But, it's $3.15M for ... just ... one ... year.

And all the Pats RBs, except Foster, will be UFA at the end of the 2017 season.

If Burkhead performs really well, he may be too expensive to retain. If he performs poorly, he may need replacing.

Now what?

Draft a RB.

Pending the outcome of the Butler debacle, the Pats appear to me to have all the major pieces covered after one week of FA. From here, it's seems to be mostly about tinkering around the edges and dealing with the draft.

The kicker is that Miguel is estimating that the Pats cap space is still around $22M to $24M after Hightower's contract is accounted for. AND, they're likely to increase that cap space by another $5M or so once Amendola's contract is re-worked. They can probably add even a bit more cap space by extending Solder.

With no picks in the first or second, the total 2016 cap hit for the Pats' draftees will be only around $500k or so (according to Miguel).

So, a carryover of $25M-$30M into 2018 seems highly likely.

Freakin' awesome.

Pending the outcome of the Butler debacle, the Pats appear to me to have all the major pieces covered after one week of FA. From here, it's seems to be mostly about tinkering around the edges and dealing with the draft.

The kicker is that Miguel is estimating that the Pats cap space is still around $22M to $24M after Hightower's contract is accounted for. AND, they're likely to increase that cap space by another $5M or so once Amendola's contract is re-worked. They can probably add even a bit more cap space by extending Solder.

With no picks in the first or second, the total 2016 cap hit for the Pats' draftees will be only around $500k or so (according to Miguel).

Freakin' awesome.

Enviable position. This is why Belichick is so careful with roster management. We have the flexibility to add good players and to take advantage of unexpected market windfalls.

Really good point about Solder. I'd like to see him extended.

Freakin' awesome.
Enviable position. This is why Belichick is so careful with roster management. We have the flexibility to add good players and to take advantage of unexpected market windfalls.

Really good point about Solder. I'd like to see him extended.

I updated my FA recap here that says the same thing:
Building 2017 roster

There will be some new additions to the roster still .. but cap space will probably not change that much.

But there are other extensions possible that might lower it (Brady..)

Freakin' awesome.

That can allow us way more flexibility during the season than we usually have, like trading for a player on big expiring contract midseason in case of injuries.

Freakin' awesome.
Iam not saying they should do it, but they may have to pay 2 Qbs next year so...

Last edited:
Hightower's 2017 cap hit much lower than expected. Counting Amendola restructure/release Pats still have 32-34M in cap space..

updated recap:
Building 2017 roster

Last edited:
KGH was my pain..
Pats wanted/expected all 3 back. Didn't take their names off lockers.
They were extremely careful w DJ Foster after that though.

If I remember correctly Reiss made it sound like it was between Elandon Roberts and KGH for a roster spot. Either would have been a loss so I am not sure there was an elegant way out of this.

With LeBlanc you saw the drawbacks of joint practices. I doubt the Bears claim him without the additional tape they had on him. On the flipside I doubt we trade for Cooks if BB doesn't have prolonged exposure to him.

It's a pipedream but I wish the NFL/NFLPA would increase the active roster size to 56-58 while keeping the salary cap as it is. It allows for more depth which given the injury issues many players have can only be beneficial.

Freakin' awesome.

I said it in the main board but they will need to carry over around 20-22m in cap space into next year just to have enough money in hand for a potential franchsie tag on Jimmy to appear legit. If you pull a franchise tag without a reasonable chunk of cap money you won't have as much leverage when trying to find trade partners because everyone will just call you bluff.

Not saying that the franchise tag gambit would stop them from another signing if stumble over value but that it is just another thing to keep in mind.

I said it in the main board but they will need to carry over around 20-22m in cap space into next year just to have enough money in hand for a potential franchsie tag on Jimmy to appear legit. If you pull a franchise tag without a reasonable chunk of cap money you won't have as much leverage when trying to find trade partners because everyone will just call you bluff.

Not saying that the franchise tag gambit would stop them from another signing if stumble over value but that it is just another thing to keep in mind.

The Pats' current cap space is actually over $27M. With Amendola's cap hit resolved, that could increase to $32M.

Miguel estimates the 2018 cap to be around $178M.

The Pats current 2018 cap liabilities are about $125M.

So, in 2018, the Pats could easily start the league year with around $80M in cap space and have nearly as much maneuvering room as they did this year even after they franchise Garoppolo.

The Pats' current cap space is actually over $27M. With Amendola's cap hit resolved, that could increase to $32M.

Miguel estimates the 2018 cap to be around $178M.

The Pats current 2018 cap liabilities are about $125M.

So, in 2018, the Pats could easily start the league year with around $80M in cap space and have nearly as much maneuvering room as they did this year even after they franchise Garoppolo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats give out short extensions to some players (Edelman, Gronk) this summer to adjust their pay closer to market reality and overall team payment structure. Especially Gronk could be another relative bargain time as his value is at an all time low following the back surgery.

What's the max they can carry over to meet the spending threshold?
(And apologies if this has been answered elsewhere and I just missed it).

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back