PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

brutal article on Goodell/NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link.

Aside from the attacks on Goodell, here is my favorite quote, as it appears in the article.:
“It was our understanding based on Ray’s account that in the course of a physical altercation between the two of them he slapped Janay with an open hand, and that she hit her head against the elevator rail or wall as she fell to the ground.”
–Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti

I guess that's how NFL Owners beat their wives...with an open hand...so they thought it was OK. :eek:

I think violence towards women by NFL players happens more than we can possibly imagine. The owners and Goody know this.

I think if the league suspended all the players who committed violence towards women there would be a hefty number of them sitting out a few games on a regular basis.

They want to sweep this under the rug badly. The problem is that because of their incompetence, lack of moral construct and inept PR skills, they are making it much, much worse.

Last edited:
Serious question: what exactly would it take for Goodell to get fired?

I can't imagine anyone screwing up this job any worse. Ratings are down. After the Rice fiasco where everyone was calling for him to be fired, we have another domestic violence scandal (seems he'll go to any lengths to help certain teams and torpedo certain others).

Truly unbelievable he still has a job.

Underlying every single mess that Roger gets into is the same fundamental character flaw: he shows no actual principles, and bases every decision based on favors, influence, appearances and what he can get away with. That is the antithesis of leadership.

Serious question: what exactly would it take for Goodell to get fired?

I can't imagine anyone screwing up this job any worse. Ratings are down. After the Rice fiasco where everyone was calling for him to be fired, we have another domestic violence scandal (seems he'll go to any lengths to help certain teams and torpedo certain others).

Truly unbelievable he still has a job.

Here is your answer. Fat chance of it happening.

Per Article VI, Section 6.5(G) of the NFL’s Constitution and Bylaws:

In the event that the Commissioner or any other officer of the League shall be convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude or be physically or mentally incapacitated to perform his duties or shall fail or refuse to abide by the Constitution and Bylaws of the League, and the Executive Committee finds that such action by such officer is detrimental to the best interests of the League, or in the event the Commissioner or any other officer of the League fails or is unwilling to perform his duties, then such Committee shall have the power after notice and hearing to suspend or remove said officer and to terminate any contract between such Commissioner or officer and the League.

The committee consists of the league chairmen of Finance, International, Management Council Executive, Media and Stadium committees. The owners on the committee are Clark Hunt (Chiefs), Robert Kraft (Patriots), Bob McNair (Texans), John Mara (Giants) and Art Rooney II (Steelers).

I don't know what the governance model is that defines how this motion to oust Goody is nominated, voted on, seconded and passed. I assume its a majority vote but could possibly require a 4 out of 5.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

Underlying every single mess that Roger gets into is the same fundamental character flaw: he shows no actual principles, and bases every decision based on favors, influence, appearances and what he can get away with. That is the antithesis of leadership.

I seriously wonder what his wife thinks. If I behaved that way Mrs RW would kill me if not divorce me. maybe she would kill me then divorce me?:eek:

goodell's biggest accomplishment has been convincing the 32 scumbag owners that he's responsible for the NFL being such a cash cow

If the scumbags thought that someone else could make them even more money roger would be gone

But isn't this all what he was hired to do? Be the League bullseye for all the owners' greed and immoral behavior...?

You are right but there comes a point where the long term health of the NFL brand is being impacted by his policies beyond the point of no return.

The question is what is the breaking point for the owners to turn on Goody and make him the fall guy.

As Hurley states, as long as these fat cat owners are making money hand over fist, I dont see it happening anytime soon.

I don't think the public understands the concept of Roger's job. He is not going to get fired because he works for the owners and they love the job that he is doing. Roger is doing exactly what the owners want and he is taking the heat for it instead of the owners.

The owners are essentially the guy ducking behind a lady (the public) and grabbing her butt, and when the lady turns around to slap the offender she doesn't see that guy (the owners) because he is ducking and she ends up slapping the next guy (Roger) in line who is standing there. The guy standing there is Roger and as long as he is standing there willing to get slapped then the butt grabber is going to keep grabbing the lady's butt.

I find it ironic that a man with no obvious principles (other than greed) or morals was selected to be the steward of the NFL as they attempt to pull in more fans by preaching about how much they care about social issues.

The NFL is a business that can practically run itself and the owners hire someone like him. I guess the problem is Goodell does do a tremendous job of representing the owners. They need a visionary/leader of people and they hired a person who will lie for them (and not convincingly).

He is reactive, not proactive.. The public is upset that we were easy on an abuser, let's change the punishment....Perhaps if he got it right the first time................

They charge the military to promote it.......
They push breast cancer awareness yet the amount contributed is very little thanks to creative accounting...
They fine a guy for wearing purple cleats to bring awareness to domestic violence....
They fine a guy for taking his helmet off ( outside the field of play) MORE than a guy who tries to injure other players....
There is no consistency in punishments meted out..............
The officiating is dreadful and they resist ways to correct it ( e.g. sideline cameras or making all calls reviewable).
Alleged deflation of balls by 1% is treated as a capital murder case in the league's eyes while domestic violence is swept under the rug, especially if you're buddies with the red headed wunderkind..........
The commissioner thinks the general public is too stupid to understand how they operate.....
Ratings are down but it's not because less people are watching. In the league's view, it's because of...umm,
let's see....ugh..............people are watching less.. Yeah, that's the ticket........
The league buried its head in the sand regarding greater awareness of CTE and instead of trying to make the game safer,it has attacked the experts and the science....and we know how the league views science especially the IGL.. They are the modern day Luddites......
Did I miss anything???
Pete Rozelle is rolling around in his grave knowing how this guy messed up a good thing.....

You are right but there comes a point where the long term health of the NFL brand is being impacted by his policies beyond the point of no return.

The question is what is the breaking point for the owners to turn on Goody and make him the fall guy.

As Hurley states, as long as these fat cat owners are making money hand over fist, I dont see it happening anytime soon.
I don't disagree but do the owners have any collective will to change? Now is as good as any other time....

Do they believe there is a real decline in ratings? If the loss isn't palpable to them, they won't change. The hogs will keep feasting til the slaughter...

I don't think the public understands the concept of Roger's job. He is not going to get fired because he works for the owners and they love the job that he is doing. Roger is doing exactly what the owners want and he is taking the heat for it instead of the owners.

The owners are essentially the guy ducking behind a lady (the public) and grabbing her butt, and when the lady turns around to slap the offender she doesn't see that guy (the owners) because he is ducking and she ends up slapping the next guy (Roger) in line who is standing there. The guy standing there is Roger and as long as he is standing there willing to get slapped then the butt grabber is going to keep grabbing the lady's butt.

Lol great analogy

Anyone else think the current state of affairs for the NFL might actually lead to his ousting?

Another highly embarrassing DV case for the league that he created

Players becoming more and more vocal at their frustration with the league over mindless fines for celebration.

Players frustration growing when cba talks are around the table. This looking like the first cba war for football, when the NBA is upping early.

Television ratings plummeting with no solutions to be seen.

The last is the biggest fly in the ointment for goodell. Owners could look past just about anything, as long as the dollars were coming in at record pace. But now, the money might look to get tighter, and the league HAS to look at goodell as to why.

With LA building a billion dollar development center, I am sure there are some nerves about the league that will exist when the stadium is finished.

Add all of those things together, and from afar, it looks like a Molotov ****tail for the commissioner. If he can get through this season, either the owners dont care, or are obtuse. I would rather not know which is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes