PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

brutal article on Goodell/NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think violence towards women by NFL players happens more than we can possibly imagine. The owners and Goody know this.

I think if the league suspended all the players who committed violence towards women there would be a hefty number of them sitting out a few games on a regular basis.

They want to sweep this under the rug so badly. The problem is that because of their incompetence, lack of moral construct and inept PR skills, they are making it much, much worse.

Roger has handled Domestic Violence issues so poorly that it has to be intentional. I'm sure he has either never contacted NCADV for guidance with these issues or ignored it. What he has accomplished is shutting the door on a very powerful leverage tool to help both the victims and the abusers.

A few of the many reasons victims stay with their abusers are related to financial security, children (and the fear of losing them) and lifestyle. Roger has essentially turned their fears into a reality. "If you speak up we will suspend your spouse forever and you will lose everything."

Ironically or sadly if he had handled this properly many of the unknown abuse cases would come to light and the abusers would be forced into treatment not only setting a tone within the NFL but also sending a message to men and women nationally.

The penalty should include a short suspension (4 games?) coupled with mandatory counseling, public speaking and should not be a lifetime ban initially.

Goodell promised them the NFL will make $25 billion a year by 2027, thus creating his own job security. Anytime he screw ups (which is basically any time he makes a decision) he just has to remind them the end goal. The greedy billionaires value money over all else and are blinded to the damage done to the product. The product gets worse each year and is close to unwatchable at this point. Everyone enjoy the Brook Osweiler vs Trevor Siemian ****show last night? That's some good football.

Here is your answer. Fat chance of it happening.

I don't know what the governance model is that defines how this motion to oust Goody is nominated, voted on, seconded and passed. I assume its a majority vote but could possibly require a 4 out of 5.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

So unless he's actually caught with the dead hooker in his hotel or they negotiate some kind of payout, we're all stuck with this loser until the end of 2018?:(

Anyone else think the current state of affairs for the NFL might actually lead to his ousting?

Another highly embarrassing DV case for the league that he created

Players becoming more and more vocal at their frustration with the league over mindless fines for celebration.

Players frustration growing when cba talks are around the table. This looking like the first cba war for football, when the NBA is upping early.

Television ratings plummeting with no solutions to be seen.

The last is the biggest fly in the ointment for goodell. Owners could look past just about anything, as long as the dollars were coming in at record pace. But now, the money might look to get tighter, and the league HAS to look at goodell as to why.

With LA building a billion dollar development center, I am sure there are some nerves about the league that will exist when the stadium is finished.

Add all of those things together, and from afar, it looks like a Molotov ****tail for the commissioner. If he can get through this season, either the owners dont care, or are obtuse. I would rather not know which is true.
Hopefully.

Perhaps before he is fired, they could have a public flogging and invite a half a dozen fans to beat the ****e out of him. I know a few fans, one or two (Joker, I think his name is...) that might volunteer.

He'll leave eventually, but not in any dramatic, getting-fired way. Just, at some point, he'll be gone.

But I do think it's funny the frantic rationalizations that go on about the dropping ratings. Multiple reasons of course, but collective disgust is definitely one of them.

Most of the owners of professional franchises only care about money, lots of it and could care less about the average guy. They are like all the other billionaires in the world. They pay Goodell very well to take all the heat for them

Serious question: what exactly would it take for Goodell to get fired?

I can't imagine anyone screwing up this job any worse. Ratings are down. After the Rice fiasco where everyone was calling for him to be fired, we have another domestic violence scandal (seems he'll go to any lengths to help certain teams and torpedo certain others).

Truly unbelievable he still has a job.
If he gets a perception of being a racist he would have to go. I was kinda hoping he'd punish Kaepernick (not to get into that again, I don't think he deserves to be..) because that would probably get him fired.

I don't disagree but do the owners have any collective will to change? Now is as good as any other time....

Do they believe there is a real decline in ratings? If the loss isn't palpable to them, they won't change. The hogs will keep feasting til the slaughter...

I hear you. It does seem like a good as time as any....

So unless he's actually caught with the dead hooker in his hotel or they negotiate some kind of payout, we're all stuck with this loser until the end of 2018?:(

A dead hooker might get him a 2 game suspension. But if he was caught with a supposedly slightly deflated blow up doll .......

I'm hopeful they can find a loophole. :p

My hope is that they will convince him to resign and start the search/transition process.

Goodell promised them the NFL will make $25 billion a year by 2027, thus creating his own job security. Anytime he screw ups (which is basically any time he makes a decision) he just has to remind them the end goal. The greedy billionaires value money over all else and are blinded to the damage done to the product. The product gets worse each year and is close to unwatchable at this point. Everyone enjoy the Brook Osweiler vs Trevor Siemian ****show last night? That's some good football.

How exactly will they get to $25 billion if he is "hurting the brand"?

That projection is based on the assumption that the NFL brand isn't compromised and it's growth and distribution strategy is sound.

It's clear both are flawed.

Myra Kraft must be rolling over in her grave knowing that Robert is affiliated with these people (I use that term lightly).

We have a rapist as the QB of the Steelers and the Owner doesn't care.
We have a serial abuser in a kicker, and the Giants owner doesn't care.
We have an abuser in RB Ray Rice and clearly his owner didn't care (he admits as much).
We have someone who abused his child in RB Adrian Peterson and his owner only cared after the public put up a stick.
We have someone who threatened to kill his girlfriend in DE Greg Hardy and it took public outcry for the Panthers Owner to care.. It didn't stop the Cowboys owner, though..

You got some big name owners there in Rooney, Mara, and Jones.. For them to openly show that they don't care about abuse of women is pretty bad.. Especially when they've been trying to draw more women into watching games..

They need a wholesale cleaning of the Commissioner's office. They need to bring in someone from the outside. Someone with actual integrity. Someone who won't abuse Article 46 but will also uphold the actual rules in the rule book. Someone who will be even handed.

That projection is based on the assumption that the NFL brand isn't compromised and it's growth and distribution strategy is sound.

It's clear both are flawed.

Right. At this point, Roger will only be canned when that doesn't happen. And at that time, Roger will put up his best Teflon defense as to why it's everyone else's fault but his. We'll see if he can pull it off.

Myra Kraft must be rolling over in her grave knowing that Robert is affiliated with these people (I use that term lightly).

We have a rapist as the QB of the Steelers and the Owner doesn't care.
We have a serial abuser in a kicker, and the Giants owner doesn't care.
We have an abuser in RB Ray Rice and clearly his owner didn't care (he admits as much).
We have someone who abused his child in RB Adrian Peterson and his owner only cared after the public put up a stick.
We have someone who threatened to kill his girlfriend in DE Greg Hardy and it took public outcry for the Panthers Owner to care.. It didn't stop the Cowboys owner, though..

You got some big name owners there in Rooney, Mara, and Jones.. For them to openly show that they don't care about abuse of women is pretty bad.. Especially when they've been trying to draw more women into watching games..

They need a wholesale cleaning of the Commissioner's office. They need to bring in someone from the outside. Someone with actual integrity. Someone who won't abuse Article 46 but will also uphold the actual rules in the rule book. Someone who will be even handed.

Has the NFL reached a point in the public's eye where they need a Kenesaw Mountain Landis? I don't think so - that will happen when there is a congressional or federal investigation. Not that Landis was a prize; far from it, but the one thing he could do was keep the MLB owners in line. I suppose Mussolini might be an apt comparison, as he did keep the trains running on time.... Anyway, preferably it will be someone with the power and independence of Landis but actual moral standing and long-term vision.

Here is your answer. Fat chance of it happening.

The committee consists of the league chairmen of Finance, International, Management Council Executive, Media and Stadium committees. The owners on the committee are Clark Hunt (Chiefs), Robert Kraft (Patriots), Bob McNair (Texans), John Mara (Giants) and Art Rooney II (Steelers).

I don't know what the governance model is that defines how this motion to oust Goody is nominated, voted on, seconded and passed. I assume its a majority vote but could possibly require a 4 out of 5.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/html/careers/pdf/co_.pdf

With Kraft and Hunt having recently been screwed over by Goodell and one of Rooney's favorite's almost screwed over, they may have 3 people willing to oust Goodell. The "wild card" is McNair since we know Mara is a Goodell lover.

I think violence towards women by NFL players happens more than we can possibly imagine. The owners and Goody know this.

I think if the league suspended all the players who committed violence towards women there would be a hefty number of them sitting out a few games on a regular basis.

They want to sweep this under the rug badly. The problem is that because of their incompetence, lack of moral construct and inept PR skills, they are making it much, much worse.

I would be fine if the NFL didn't exist if it kept women from being abused. The owners who are are o.k. with players abusing their wives should lose their team(s). The NFL's popularity continues to decline and I hope it continues. The owners need to wake up and realize their commissioner is nothing but an empty suit.

The point is they will willingly follow him/allow him to lead as long as they believe that projection to be attainable. That is all they care about. Nothing else. They obviously haven't gotten to the point yet as to where they think he is damaging the product enough to hurt profits.

I seriously wonder what his wife thinks. If I behaved that way Mrs RW would kill me if not divorce me. maybe she would kill me then divorce me?:eek:

Start bringing in $40m+ a year, and you might find Mrs RW becoming much more comfortable with some misbehavior on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back