PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns Fire Hue Jackson

Wow. This is like an institutionalized prisoner not knowing what to do when outside.

The Browns, having not sniffed .500 since 2014, with a team at 2-5-1 that looks to be competitive this year, can 2 of the 3 senior coaches and put Gregg Williams, he of the 17-31 career head coaching record, in charge?

Is there such a thing as becoming addicted to #1 draft picks?

On the plus side, the Browns will likely continue as the Pats' version of Wal-Mart. Love the deals!

They did go 10-6 but missed the playoffs. For the browns though that is very competitive lol

Oops! You're correct. I was confusing Crennel's season with Belichick's season - when they went 11-5 and lost in the Divisional.

Weird timing. Not sure what management was expecting from the Browns this year. To me they seemed to more competitive that during any stretch in recent history. If the Browns wanted to fire Hue they should have done it before the draft and given a new coach all that draft arsenal to work with.

Their management went too cute with Hue and this tendency of continuity etc...continuity is good but sometimes is crystal clear the guy is not apt for the job. That's not usual (firing during the season) and the timing is weird indeed, Hue is so bad, I believe Browns management was afraid of players quitting and becoming problems when there is no hope for better days under his program. That was necessary for their locker room not become toxic.

That's my guess.

Breaking news: Browns appoints head janitor as interim head coach. When asked for comment on what made him qualified, he said, "I have experience taking out the trash"

Well since it's the Browns they will probably go after Rex Ryan or Pagano. The comedy show will continue.

Their management went too cute with Hue and this tendency of continuity etc...continuity is good but sometimes is crystal clear the guy is not apt for the job. That's not usual (firing during the season) and the timing is weird indeed, Hue is so bad, I believe Browns management was afraid of players quitting and becoming problems when there is no hope for better days under his program. That was necessary for their locker room not become toxic.

That's my guess.

Hue may well be a horrible coach. However a lot of folks seem to be under the impression that he had significant authority with the Browns. I don't think that's the case.

From what I understand, it was Sashi Brown who fired DC Ray Horton (a 3-4 guy) in 2017, and "installed" Gregg Williams (a 4-3 guy) as Hue's DC, thereby reducing the value of at least a few of the 3-4 type front-seven players the Browns had drafted in the previous 3 years under HC Pettine and DC O'Neil (both 3-4 guys).

Then, after Dorsey replaced Brown on Pearl Harbor Day 2017 (seriously), he "installed" Todd Haley as Hue's OC.

Also, about a week before the 2018 draft, a reporter asked Hue about which QB they were leaning toward. Hue answered, "I don't know. John hasn't told anyone who we're drafting anywhere yet."

During the week before the Steelers' game, Hue had announced that he'd be taking over "some of the offensive play-calling". That it didn't go well may be less important than Hue "straying from his own lane" in Dorsey's eyes. I'm not sure how Haley also got the axe, or who called that shot (might've been Haslam).

Anyway, Hue's relatively powerless situation isn't all that unusual in the NFL. The Jete and Jills have been run pretty much the same way for decades, as the Lions were before WCF finally croaked. Keim pretty much rins the Cardinals. Strictly top down management. And the HC is always the scapegoat.

Wow. This is like an institutionalized prisoner not knowing what to do when outside.

The Browns, having not sniffed .500 since 2014, with a team at 2-5-1 that looks to be competitive this year, can 2 of the 3 senior coaches and put Gregg Williams, he of the 17-31 career head coaching record, in charge?

Is there such a thing as becoming addicted to #1 draft picks?

On the plus side, the Browns will likely continue as the Pats' version of Wal-Mart. Love the deals!
I really hope the win some games bc that team would be insane if they added Bosa, Oliver, Thompson etc.

Ive said for a long time the only thing holding them back was coaching & now they have a chance to add a possible great coach

they were better this year without a doubt

last year was terrible but they showed much much more this season

mah...:confused:

They did go 10-6 but missed the playoffs. For the browns though that is very competitive lol

A little footnote about the Browns missing the playoffs in 2007:

Titans QB Kerry Collins mentioned in an interview (link) after Tennessee beat the Colts in the season finale that there may have been some collusion between Jeff Fisher and Tony Dungy. Basically, Dungy wouldn't play to win the game since the Colts were locked into their playoff spot and the Titans needed a win to make the playoffs. Both Cleveland and Tennessee finished at 10-6, but the Titans made the playoffs on a tiebreaker. Since it involved potential wrongdoing by Saint Dungy, nothing ever came of this story.

They should consider Jeff Fisher. 100% serious. He consistently gets 7-8 wins. It would be good for the league in general if the Browns weren't a lock for 10+ losses every year and gave a few upsets here and there.

A little footnote about the Browns missing the playoffs in 2007:

Titans QB Kerry Collins mentioned in an interview (link) after Tennessee beat the Colts in the season finale that there may have been some collusion between Jeff Fisher and Tony Dungy. Basically, Dungy wouldn't play to win the game since the Colts were locked into their playoff spot and the Titans needed a win to make the playoffs. Both Cleveland and Tennessee finished at 10-6, but the Titans made the playoffs on a tiebreaker. Since it involved potential wrongdoing by Saint Dungy, nothing ever came of this story.

I remember that! Id have been livid if i was Cleveland

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back