PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos waive former Patriot TE AJ Derby

Wasn't Rey Maualuga a huge draft binkie on this board a few years ago?? Seem to recollect he was a PatsFan Favorite..

Great move Rey, fighting about a $40.00 bar bill, and then forfeiting $53K a game for the rest of the season and probably the end of his career.. great economics "schooling" at USC.

Wasn't Rey Maualuga a huge draft binkie on this board a few years ago?? Seem to recollect he was a PatsFan Favorite..

Great move Rey, fighting about a $40.00 bar bill, and then forfeiting $53K a game for the rest of the season and probably the end of his career.. great economics "schooling" at USC.

Yes, I remember that he was a binkey for several here.
Was he starting or getting many game reps for the Phins?

No shame in wanting a USC LB. They served us very well in the past.

Bill used the pick from that trade to get Gillislee. Who was a healthy scratch last week and who has looked underwhelming, especially considering his salary. Neither team got much out of this trade.

If BB is going to sit a RB against a team like Denver, it'll be Gillislee every time.

Burkhead is a special teams monster (like Bolden). Dion Lewis is their kick returner. With a depleted WR corps, White is a guarantee Brady wants and needs.

Heck, this year, replace Gillislee with Blount and you might have had Blount sitting.

Bill used the pick from that trade to get Gillislee. Who was a healthy scratch last week and who has looked underwhelming, especially considering his salary. Neither team got much out of this trade.

Derby was drafted in the 6th with pick #202 in 2015. He was IR'd as a rookie and contributed nothing in the 4 games he was active for the Pats in 2016.

He was traded to Denver for a 2017 5th-rounder, #163.

The Pats used the #163 to acquire Gillislee from the Bills.

Derby with Denver:
... 15 games active (4 starts)
... 473 offensive snaps (25/game)
... 384 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs

Gillislee:
... 8 games active (2 starts)
... 156 offensive snaps (19.5/game)
... 355 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs

I take Gillislee 100/100 over Derby. There is no question in my mind that we got the better end of this trade (via the received pick).

Gillislee will have his moment to contribute. A slow bruising back just isn't a good matchup against Denver. We even saw last year they used lewis against Denver for his quickness.

Derby was drafted in the 6th with pick #202 in 2015. He was IR'd as a rookie and contributed nothing in the 4 games he was active for the Pats in 2016.

He was traded to Denver for a 2017 5th-rounder, #163.

The Pats used the #163 to acquire Gillislee from the Bills.

Derby with Denver:
... 15 games active (4 starts)
... 473 offensive snaps (25/game)
... 384 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs

Gillislee:
... 8 games active (2 starts)
... 156 offensive snaps (19.5/game)
... 355 yards from scrimmage and 4 TDs

And I'll add: Gillislee is in the league's #1 Offense, rich in talent especially at his position, while Derby is in the league's #23 offense, thin and talented only in WRs, and maybe one RB.

People who say A.J. Derby can't block/has a narrow catch radius (not that that is even that true) don't get the point. He makes contested catches over the middle and in the endzone. That puts him in line for a job in the NFL, to my mind. Denver cutting him rather than putting him on IR just shows they're cheap, IMHO.

So, yes, he was a binky of mine, back when BB made a point of cutting, trading or not re-signing my binkies (now he just cuts, trades or doesn't re-sign guys who would have been binkies of mine if I still had binkies).

I take Gillislee 100/100 over Derby. There is no question in my mind that we got the better end of this trade (via the received pick).

Broncos got a **** sandwich and we got a **** sandwich with cheese. Yay. And gave up Blount in favor. Can you imagine how scary this team would be with Sheard and Blount?

Broncos got a **** sandwich and we got a **** sandwich with cheese. Yay. And gave up Blount in favor. Can you imagine how scary this team would be with Sheard and Blount?

Gillislee is a better player than Blount. Blount cant pass block for **** and was giving away play tendencies. Sheard was a nice complementary piece that never was able to put it all together after his first year with us. Am not losing any sleep over those two.

Gillislee will have his moment to contribute. A slow bruising back just isn't a good matchup against Denver. We even saw last year they used lewis against Denver for his quickness.
You said the magic word...

Gillislee is a better player than Blount. Blount cant pass block for **** and was giving away play tendencies. Sheard was a nice complementary piece that never was able to put it all together after his first year with us. Am not losing any sleep over those two.

I don't even know what to say to the claim the Gillislee is "better" than Blount. Wow! Speechless. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But that is just a stupid claim.

I don't even know what to say to the claim the Gillislee is "better" than Blount. Wow! Speechless. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But that is just a stupid claim.

To be fair to luuked, i think you have to admit he was trying to say:

"Gillislee is a better [all-purpose] player than Blount. "

The main complaint on LgB was he telegraphed run and eliminated playaction threat when in huddle. Secondary complaint-injury mia a couple games a yesar. Multiple mutipurpose backs (gill being one) solves both issues.

No it is not. Blount was a one dimensional hammer and Gillislee doesnt present a huge dropoff (if any at all) from what Blount was doing. Except he is a better pass blocker.. and by better I mean that he actually understands protections while Blount just cant grasp it.

It is really not too complicated to understand that.

The only angle where I truly miss Blount is for his locker room presence.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back