PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Broncos defense vs Patriots offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are smart they will do this...stack up against the run and make edelman and amendola beat you...(hopefully dobson too)

But brady/BB own del rio
Colts crowded the LOS with 8 in the box often. Cost them a 53 yarder to Amendola and a 73 yard back breaker by Blount. Other than that, they held the running game to a shade under 4 ypc.

If they are smart they will do this...stack up against the run and make edelman and amendola beat you...(hopefully dobson too)

But brady/BB own del rio

If the Broncos do that, the Patriots will likely counter with a triple stack on one side. Denver's DBs don't have the quicks to stop that in straight man.

On the Horns of a Dilemma

OK. Denver putting together their defensive game plan. Lagarrette Blount has rushed 48 times for 355 yards, averaging 7.4 yards per carry, and scoring 6 TDs over the last two games.

They have to take Blount away and make Tom Brady beat them... right? :rocker:

Yikes.

Re: On the Horns of a Dilemma

OK. Denver putting together their defensive game plan. Lagarrette Blount has rushed 48 times for 355 yards, averaging 7.4 yards per carry, and scoring 6 TDs over the last two games.

They have to take Blount away and make Tom Brady beat them... right? :rocker:

Yikes.

And the Broncos are the highest scoring offense in NFL history. I'll take their puzzle over ours.

But, the puzzle is obvious for the Pats. They have to try to keep Peyton Manning from beating them. There's no dilemma. No big gulp required to sign off on the defensive game plan.

And the Broncos are the highest scoring offense in NFL history. I'll take their puzzle over ours.

Against who? Dallas and Baltimore in the season opener?

Game against Chargers - LOST
Game against Indy - LOST
Game against New England - LOST

If Denver proves anything this year it's that you can beat certain records in the NFL without it being that historic. lol.

2007 Patriots were a superior offense, doing it against FAR superior defenses.
Greatest show on turf was a superior offense.
Hell, I'd even say the 2012 Patriots was a more difficult offense to stop with Gronk healthy.

2013 Denver offense is good, but it's not great. It just liked to really compile the stats against really bad teams in the regular season, which isn't going to help them Sunday

They have a problem with Chris Harris out. I suspect they come out and try to play the Pats straight up. If they can't stop the run that way, what choice to they have but to move a safety into the box? They could probably live with Chris Harris/DRC/Champ one on one with Edelman/Amendola/Collie along with a deep safety, but they would probably not be happy to do this if its DRC/Champ/Jammer.

I hear you but I don't think it is so obvious. I actually like our secondary match-ups, and while Hooman, Mulligan and Develin get no love for receiving or running skills, they bring some serious beef to the second level that few LBs or safeties can address. Broncos also sprung a leak in their secondary.

People seem to forget there is both an offense and a defense. The Broncos have a very good offense, and a very bad defense. I would say the Patriots have a good offense and a good defense. The Patriot's defense controlled the Bronco's offense last time they played. Hopefully they can do it again.

Strength vs Strength
Pats Oline + TEs (BIG) vs Broncos DLine + LBs (small LBs)
Pats should be able to run it well. But this may be a more balanced offense
this week because of Broncos secondary but still heavy on running.

Our RBs ... they think PATs run units are very physical.
I think Broncos will have to be up by 14 before they change to a balance
more in favor of passing.

Here's a stat about our defense that you'll find much more "fun" than I will:

Via Profootball Focus: Opp. 2013 QB ratings when throwing at DEN CBs: Harris: 64.1. DRC: 67.1. Webster: 96.9. Carter: 97.9. Champ: 99.9. Jammer: 132.9.

You can see how taking away Harris and replacing him with Jammer makes me uncomfortable. Don't be surprised if Carter or Webster take Harris' spot though.

Pro Football Focus is garbage so there is no veracity in any of those numbers.

If I'm Denver's DC, I'm stacking the box and daring Brady to beat me deep. Play run and have the CB's jam and hit the WR's. The Pats haven't shown much over the middle since Gronk's injury other than Edelman on short crossing routes and the deep passing game is almost nonexistent if Dobson is out. Amendola might get another long play but I don't think Denver needs to worry about that too much.

No disrespect intended, but this is the kind of stuff that I scratch my head over.

Look at it this way. You are presuming the scenario is that the Patriots do't have deep threats (I don't really agree or at least that it matters that much) so you would create a game plan that makes it easier for the guys you think can't get deep to get deep. Every WR in the NFL can get deep in the right circumstances. Taking a guy who you think can't beat normal coverage and give him press coverage with no help and you just dramatically increased his chance to beat you deep.

The flip side of this may be a clearer example.

You are about to face a team that has a terrible corner who struggles mightily when he doesn't have help. Your thought process says we are going to attack him all day long. By doing that you allow, even force, the defense to give him help and you turn a liability who can't cover into a double team.

What are the numbers since Von Miller has been out? Somehow I want to believe the run defense is probably better.

Dunno why, guess I just expect the guy replacing him to be obviously less of a pass rusher, but possibly make it up in run D.

I could be dead wrong though.

He's only missed 2 games, the mail it in Raiders, and yesterday, so no real info for you.

Broncos cornerback Chris Harris out for playoffs with torn ACL - The Denver Post

The article spends less time on Harris and what the options are to replace him then it does pitying porr old Peyton manning, for having to overcome such horrible adversity. :rolleyes: I'll spare you the sob-story details here, click the link above if you are so inclined for the gushing homage.

It was no coincidence Rivers got hot after Harris left. Rivers led the Chargers to 17 points in the fourth quarter. A third-and-17 conversion by Manning on a 21-yard pass to tight end Julius Thomas with 3:06 remaining might have saved the Broncos from their second consecutive overtime playoff game.

A rusty Quentin Jammer replaced Harris on the outside against the Chargers and struggled. The Broncos could consider moving (Champ) Bailey from the nickel to the outside corner and insert rookie Kayvon Webster into the nickel.

Or they could keep Bailey inside and give (former Patriot) Tony Carter another shot at outside coverage.

Fox wasn't saying Monday what he would do.​

For a Bronco country article devoid of turning this news into a Manning-lovefest, here's another paper's article:

Broncos won't say who will replace injured cornerback Chris Harris | Colorado Springs Gazette

Denver Broncos cornerback Chris Harris Jr. is out for the rest of the playoffs after an MRI on Monday revealed a torn ACL in his left knee.

"There's no doubt he's one of our better performers on defense throughout this season, but ... we've lost some pretty good performers throughout the season and this team's been resilient," coach John Fox said.

Harris was injured in the third quarter of Denver's 24-17 win over San Diego in the AFC Divisional round Sunday.

After he went out, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers staged a comeback from a 17-point deficit largely by targeting Harris' rusty replacement, veteran Quentin Jammer.

Harris had played more snaps than anybody on defense and had 65 tackles, three interceptions and 15 pass breakups, all career highs.​

If we had Gronk and another quality TE, we could beat them in our sleep. But alas, another year we will come up short.

If we had Gronk and another quality TE, we could beat them in our sleep. But alas, another year we will come up short.

we COULD come up short...or we could win the game....just saying..

We will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Does Josh Want to Stick it to the Head Horse Himself?

Maybe Josh can't wait to fist-pump after his Pats eliminate Denver and its Head-Horse face Elway from the playoffs?

Re: Does Josh Want to Stick it to the Head Horse Himself?

Oh C'mon this is a family forum.;)

Re: Does Josh Want to Stick it to the Head Horse Himself?

I never even thought of this angle, but I bet Josh wouldn't mind wiping the turf with Denver. Luckily for us he won't say it publicly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft